All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:45 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Celevue's LotR campaign (SBG+WotR) (Pic Heavy)(update 23
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I Am Frodo wrote:
Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
I find your lack of faith disturbing. :sauron:
Oops, wrong franchise.

that image disgusts me :shock:
though if one would want to find out who would really win:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIMoQHpvFQQ

On a more related note, really looking forward to the next scenario. You always make great reports with awesome foto's, i tried to make a photo report once and my photo's were... well... slightly worse then yours ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:02 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wow! I just read through all 13 (technically 12...) pages of this thread. I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said, but... I'll just say that I'm glad others are willing to share there talents with others. It gives me motivation to keep trying to be better. Your quality standard has been something I too have striven to reach in my modeling. Thanks for sharing!

*Edit*
Also, when I was reading the battle at the western gate to Moria, I was listening to a music station and an epic song started playing, and I thought the name was very fitting to the scenario; the name was "Guardians at the Gate" by Audiomachine, on Audiomachine, Chronicles. Obviously their not defending the gate, but I thought it was slightly ironic.

Current Project: Ringwraiths - Haradrim - Mumakil
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:31 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks for the kind words, Wah Wing!
 Post subject: Scenario 12 – The Bridge of Khazad-dûm (SBG) - part 1
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:33 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

As the Fellowship members rushed past the vast columns and towards a doorway in the far wall, there was a growling in the distance. Turning back, Boromir saw a fiery glow and heard footsteps approaching.

“What is this new devilry?”

Gandalf muttered: “A Balrog. A Demon of the ancient world. This foe is beyond any of you.”

“Run! Quickly!”, he urged the weary heroes through the doorway and down a flight of steps to a narrow ledge, where Boromir nearly lost his footing at the sight of a vast, deep cavern.

Pointing to the other side of the cavern at a narrow stone bridge, Gandalf said: “Lead them on, Aragorn. The Bridge is near. Do as I say. Swords are no more use here.”

And so begins our twelfth scenario, which is divided into two distinct parts (and which were, in fact, played nearly two and a half months apart); the first part has the Fellowship rushing down the winding stairs of Durin’s Causeway in order to escape from Dwarrowdelf. The second part begins when the Fellowship enters the Second Hall, with the aim to cross the Bridge of Khazad-dûm and escape Moria altogether.

As with the previous scenario, this game is not fully based on any published scenarios, but is rather an amalgam of ideas from various sources. For the good to win the overall scenario, Frodo (and at least four other members) must exit across the Bridge of Khazad-dûm to the First Hall, and Gandalf must destroy the Bridge. Evil wins if Frodo dies, or if Gandalf is killed before he destroys the Bridge, or if five or more Fellowship members are slain.

Here’s an overview of the gaming board; the Bridge runs west-east, and the Durin’s Causeway is due north of the Second hall. There is a gap in the Causeway stairs. A fiery chasm running north-south cuts across the Second Hall. The exit to the First Hall is in the southeastern corner of the board, on the far side of the Bridge.

In the first part, the Fellowship starts at the top of the Durin’s Causeway. The eight bow-armed goblins are placed along the ledges around the Causeway. The Fellowship must cross the gap in the stairway using the leap table. However, any member of the Fellowship within 2” of the gap may spend a might point to save a hobbit that has rolled a 1 on the leap test, representing the members throwing and catching the hobbits as they cross.

In the second part, during the first turn, the Fellowship enters the Second Hall, and eight goblins and the goblin captain enter through the southern doorways (divided according to the evil player’s choice). Eight more arrive during the subsequent turn (again, divided between the two doorways as the evil player chooses). Also, starting from that turn, the Balrog will arrive through the western door in the evil move phase, if the total rolled for priority that turn (by both players) is seven or more. Newly arrived models may not charge, but can otherwise act as normal. The Balrog can leap across the fiery chasm using the leap table; on 1, the Balrog stays on the western side of the chasm and does not move. However, the chasm spanned by the Bridge cannot be leaped across by any model.

Gandalf must destroy the Bridge for the good player to win by casting a sorcerous blast downwards while standing on the Bridge. For a successful blast, roll D6 to see how many wounds are inflicted on the Bridge (might cannot be used to modify the roll): 1 = undamaged, 2 = 1 wound, 3-4 = 2 wounds, 5-6 = 3 wounds. The Bridge has 3 wounds, and once the last is gone, the Bridge collapses into the chasm, taking any models standing on it down with it.

As with the Balin’s tomb, the whole board counts as being in the range of Goblin drums (in the deep) throughout the scenario.

Without further ado, into the game…

Turn 1 – Good priority. Headed by Gimli, the Fellowship members began clambering down the stairs under the malicious gaze of several goblins perched on various terraces and ledges around the staircase. Guarding the rear of the group, Gandalf attempted to blast the nearest of the goblins with a sorcerous blast, but his spell failed. Aragorn’s arrow, however, did not fail as one of the goblins fell to the depths with an arrow sticking in his chest. Several black arrows swished past the Fellowship; one managed to hit Gandalf, but the wizard was not wounded.

Turn 2 – Evil priority. The heroes continued downwards, dodging black arrows. Gandalf and Aragorn failed in reducing the enemy numbers, but Legolas succeeded in killing another goblin shooting from the topmost gallery east of the stairs.

Turn 3 – Evil priority. Pippin shrieked as several arrows seemed to target him in particular – luckily, none found their mark. Aragorn and Legolas both fired their bows, both also hitting their targets – but only Legolas managed to lethally wound his prey.

Turn 4 – Good priority. “At the double!” shouted Aragorn as he urged the Fellowship to distance themselves from the goblins. Black arrows flew again, and one hit Boromir’s shield.

Turn 5 – Good priority. The Fellowship continued downwards, and more hasty (and inaccurate) arrows were exchanged with no noticeable results.

Turn 6 – Good priority. This time the ranged attacks found their marks far better – Gandalf’s successful sorcerous blast knocked one goblin prone, while all three of Legolas’ arrows hit goblins. Alas, their armour was too strong, and none were killed. Boromir was again hit by retaliating fire, but the arrow did not penetrate his thick coat. Frodo was hit by two arrows, but they had little chance to wound the hobbit thanks to his hidden mithril shirt.

Turn 7 – Evil priority. Several evil arrows peppered the Fellowship, hitting Aragorn, Boromir and Gandalf, but causing no wounds. Legolas, however, killed one goblin perching on the ruined terraces on the north wall.

Turn 8 – Good priority. Gimli and Frodo reached the gap in the stairs, and stopped, eying nervously the fiery depths below. One could jump across with care – but there were still goblin arrows to worry about, too, and two goblins were now frighteningly close to the Fellowship. Luckily, Legolas managed to kill one, but in revenge, the second dispatched an arrow and wounded the brave elf.

Turn 9 & beyond – Good priority. Drawing deep breath, Gimil and Frodo leaped across the gap. Keen-eyed Legolas made sure that they were no longer bothered by goblin arrows by accurately shooting and killing all three remaining evil minions. One by one, the heroes leaped across the gap – Aragorn mightily saved Sam from falling when it was his turn to leap.

Legolas quickly tied his wound and crossed the gap last. Unhindered by enemies or broken stairs, the Fellowship sped towards the bottom of the stairs, across a causeway and through a large doorway. The Bridge to freedom was now tantalizingly near…

Post subject: Scenario 12 – The Bridge of Khazad-dûm (SBG) - part 2
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:35 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Before the Fellowship was another cavernous hall. Down the center stalked a double line of towering pillars. Right across the floor, close to the feet of two huge pillars a great fissure had opened. Out of it a fierce red light came, and now and again flames licked at the brink and curled about the bases of the columns. Wisps of dark smoke wavered in the hot air.

Gandalf said “This is the Second Hall of Old Moria; and the Gates are near: away beyond the eastern end, on the left, not more than a quarter of mile. Across the Bridge, up a stair, along a wide road, through the First Hall, and out!”

Turn 1 – Good priority. Gandalf turned left and pointed across the floor of the hall. “Look ahead!” called Gandalf. “The Bridge is near. It is dangerous and narrow.” “At the double!” shouted Aragorn, urging the hobbits forward. Frodo took point along with Boromir. Away beyond the shadows at the southern side of the hall there came goblin cries and horn-calls, as a force of eight goblins led by their captain poured into the Second Hall.

Turn 2 – Good priority. While others moved as fast as they could towards the Bridge, Legolas took just a few steps and readied his bow, and Gandalf, sensing an approaching evil, also moved more towards the center of the hall. More goblins poured in from the south, and the first wave, urged by their captain, was already approaching fast.

As Gandalf suspected, something was coming up through the northern entrance to the Second Hall, beyond the fiery chasm. It was like a great shadow, in the middle of which was a dark form, of man-shape maybe, yet greater, and a power and terror seemed to be in it and to go before it. It came to the edge of the fire and the light faded as if a cloud had bent over it.

“Ai! Ai!” wailed Legolas. “The Balrog! The Balrog is come!” Gimli stared with wide eyes. “Durin’s Bane!” he cried.

Legolas let go his three arrows, two of which hit the goblin captain. One arrow bounced harmlessly from the rusty armor, but the other one found a chink, and the captain fell down dead.

Turn 3 – Good priority. Muttering the strongest spell he could muster, Gandalf managed to immobilize the Balrog! Legolas still lingered behind, too, but the rest of the Fellowship continued their dash towards the Bridge and the freedom beyond. Suddenly Frodo saw before him a black chasm. At the end of the hall the floor vanished and fell to an unknown depth. The outer door could only be reached by a slender bridge of stone, without kerb or rail, that spanned the chasm with one curving spring of fifty feet. It was an ancient defense of the Dwarves against any enemy that might capture the First Hall and the outer passages. They could only pass across it in single file. Aragorn and Boromir positioned themselves as barriers against the oncoming tide of goblins, who were brandishing spears and scimitars shining red as blood in the firelight. In a clash of steel and iron, Boromir won his combat and cleaved a goblin in half.

Another group of goblins was dangerously near Gandalf, but Legolas managed to stop one of them with an elven arrow.

Turn 4 – Evil priority. Shouting “with me!” Aragorn urged the hobbits to run onto the narrow bridge, while he, Boromir and Gimli charged the goblins. More goblins joined the fights, some with spear support. Nearer the center of the hall Gandalf, too, was engaged in combat before he could try to immobilize the fiery demon.

With a rush the Balrog leaped across the fissure. The flames roared up to greet it, and wreathed about it, and a black smoke swirled in the air. Its streaming mane kindled, and blazed behind it. In its right hand was a blade like a stabbing tongue of fire; in its left it held a whip of many thongs.

More clashing of weapons ensued, and the Fellowship seemed nigh unstoppable – Gandalf, Aragorn and Boromir killed one goblin each, while Gimli hewed down two.

Turn 5 – Good priority. The hobbits were now on the Bridge, while Legolas, Aragorn, Boromir and Gimli charged enemies nearby. Gandalf attempted to immobilize his enemy, but to no avail. The Balrog advanced, facing Gandalf, and the shadow about it reached out like two vast wings. The fire in it seemed to die, but the darkness grew. Fighting continued all around the Second Hall, with Boromir mightily killing his goblin. Legolas lost, but was not wounded. Closer to the Bridge, both Aragorn and Gimli continued to reduce the goblin numbers.

Turn 6 – Good priority. With the hobbits nearly reaching the eastern end of the Bridge, Aragorn saw his opportunity for tactical retreat. Shouting “At the double”, he urged the others to converge towards the narrow escape route. Gandalf succeeded in casting an immobilizing spell, but the Balrog easily resisted. Foolhardy goblins attempted to engage Boromir and Aragorn, but only found their deaths.

Turn 7 – Evil priority. Aragorn shouted “with me!”, causing everyone to retreat to the Bridge, with Gandalf standing as the rear guard. “Over the Bridge! Fly!” the wizard shouted. The Balrog drew itself up to a great height, and its wings were spread from wall to wall, as it approached the Bridge, driving the remaining four goblins in front of it to pursue the escaping prey. Gandalf, however, skillfully sliced the nearest goblin dead with Glamdring.

Turn 8 – Good priority. With urgency, Aragorn shouted “at the double” in order to get the Fellowship off the Bridge as soon as possible. Gandalf, however, stayed behind. He stood near the middle of the span, leaning on the staff in his left hand, but in his other hand Glamdring gleamed, cold and white. “You cannot pass!” “I am a servant of the Secret fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass!” He banged the staff on the Bridge, and a sorcerous blast cracked the stone – but the Bridge held, as three goblins rushed across towards Gandalf.

Turn 9 – Evil priority. With a bound the Balrog leaped full upon the bridge. Ahead of it, a goblin charged Gandalf, with another supporting him. As the Fellowship continued to flee towards the nearby stairs, Legolas stayed behind, aimed carefully and shot an arrow hitting the goblin fighting Gandalf. Alas, the arrow only bounced off the dented goblin armor. Gandalf mightily finished the job and the goblin fell off the bridge, screaming.

Turn 10 – Evil priority. “He cannot stand alone!” cried Aragorn suddenly and ran back towards the bridge. “Elendil!” he shouted. “With me, Gandalf!”

Gandalf lifted his staff and another sorcerous blast shook the Bridge, but still it held. Two goblins found themselves in a rather precarious situation with the Balrog behind them, and a mighty wizard ahead of them. Still, bravely they charged. This time, however, Legolas was able to kill the enemy before he could fully engage Gandalf.

Turn 11 – Good priority. Once more Gandalf targeted a sorcerous blast to the Bridge, but it seemingly had no effect. Meanwhile, the hobbits had already reached the stairs to freedom. The last goblin, certain of its death either by the wizard ahead of him, or the displeased Balrog behind him, had nothing to lose. Bravely, he engaged Gandalf, barely even noticing the elven arrow bouncing off his chest plate. Feeling weary, the wizard faltered, and gasped as the goblin scimitar caused him a painful wound. Jubilant, the goblin was quite certain that they would sing black speech songs about his heroic deed for many years!

Turn 12 – Evil priority. Hearing only faintly Aragorn’s shout “with me, Gandalf”, the wizard summoned his last bit of strength. At that moment Gandalf lifted his staff, and crying aloud he smote the Bridge before him. A blinding sheet of white flame sprang up. The bridge cracked and collapsed into the gulf. With a terrible cry the Balrog fell forward, and its shadow plunged down and vanished, along with the heroic goblin. Gandalf, too, staggered and fell, as he grasped vainly at the stone, and slid into the abyss.

From the stairs Frodo watched this in horror, and he shouted: “Gandalf!” The wizard cried “Fly, you fools!” and was gone.

With a cry Aragorn roused the stunned Fellowship. “Come! I will lead you now!” he called. “We must obey his last command. Follow me!” They ran on. The light grew before them. They passed into a hall, bright with daylight from its high windows in the east. They fled across it. Through its huge broken doors they passed, and suddenly before them the Great Gates opened, an arch of blazing light. Out of the Gates they ran and sprang down the huge and age-worn steps, the threshold of Moria. Thus, at last, they came beyond hope under the sky and felt the wind on their faces. Far beyond in south golden leaves glimmered in the distance. “Lothlórien!” cried Legolas. “Lothlórien! We have come to the eaves of the Golden Wood!”

Conclusion – What a nail-biter! The causeway bit could have used more goblin archers; now the Fellowship managed to kill all at around the gap; perhaps additional 4-5 archers should appear around turn 10 or so to make the remainder of the staircase descent a bit more interesting. In any case, that was well compensated by the Second Hall part. The evil might have had a better luck leaving the goblins behind and charging Gandalf with the Balrog instead, but as it went down, the end result was just like in the book. At some time in the future, then, there will be a final (?) confrontation between Gandalf and the Balrog at the top of Zirak-zigil (yay – more extensive terrain to build). But in the meanwhile, the rest of the Fellowship has now reached the safe haven of Lothlórien, where they may rest for a while. Stay tuned for Amon Hen, the last scenario of the second season in our ongoing – and definitely not dead - Lord of the Rings campaign!
 Post subject: Re: Celevue's LotR campaign (SBG+WotR) (Pic Heavy)(update 17
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:03 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

YAAAAAAAAYYYY It's back :D :D :D

Great battle reports as always and the fantastic photos really set it apart from everything else I have read.

Can't wait for the Amon Hen scenario.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:39 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

One of the best yet :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:47 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

:D :D :D :D :D

Just like canon! I'm getting too emotionally invested in this tale. My heart leapt into my mouth when Sam nearly fell, no joke. How did you do the smoke effect? Is it dry ice or cotton wool?
So glad it's back.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:45 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

@Isilduhrr, the smoke effect is black poly fiber, and also an unused explosion cloud done for the Deeping Wall. I've just added a behind-the-scenes article in my WIP thread, with all the details on how the photos were shot (and what else was done for the batrep):

http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=392005#p392005
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

yuo realize you could had just make the war of the ring magazines campaign based on this right forpeople to read in paper with high quality pics and get some business gonig right? :P
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:56 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

@Galanur, we'll refrain from posting the final scenario batrep, and only sell it within a hardcover glossy book with all the batreps in it - that way everyone has to buy the book in order to know how the campaign ends :-D
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The embodiment of 'well worth the wait'.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quite simply brilliant. Well worth the wait. Now the long wait begins for Amon Hen :sad:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:00 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Bloody marvellous!
Wasn't it Yoda who came out with the line 'Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try' when Luke had a go at lifting his X-Wing out of the swamp on Dagobah?

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:44 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

just went trough this from the beginning, missed out few scenes.
It's really great to see the movies come alive in this thread.
Just awesome, this really looks good.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:20 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Amazing. You're a good narrator, the battle reports are interesting, but the thing that makes it great are the scenarios. So faithfull to the movies, full of details: Wonderful.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:31 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

WOW I just found this thread and it is amazing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:43 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Once again, outright amazing work. From the pictures, the painting, the terrain, the report itself. Everything is top-notch.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:17 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Amazing thread, amazing detail, excellent work!
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next