All times are UTC

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:16 am

Post subject: WOTR Rohavian Bandits vs Heroes of Carn Dum
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:01 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I've been woefully behind but here is a report from a (house-ruled) clash between between my Angamr list and a club-mate's Rohan last month:

This game has made me swear off 'Wings of Terror', for a while anyway. Stupid spell!

Quote:
The Bandits of Rohavian - Apparently they claim to hail from Rohan. So we shall add illiteracy - alongside cattle-rustling, over-familiarity with livestock and being friendly to elves - to the long list of that people's faults. They were led by some head-cattleherd, though he grandiosely styles himself 'King', named Theoden. Further, unlike the meritocracy that characterises the Carn Dum Plateau, he had his niece, some bint named Eowyn, and his idiot nephew Eomer, serve as his lieutenants. Nepotism, pure and simple, Theoden probably got his current job because his father had done it. Madness. They probably still live in wood houses because they can't master the civilised art of laying square cut stone!
That is a lot of riders in only a couple 0f baskets, if you take my meaning.

Well, whether or not they had the wit to see their doom as it approached, the fate of these particular bandits was sealed this day. The over-lord of these lands, the Fell Witch-King himself, has come forth to lead our punitive expedition.
After a little discussion about houserules (his initial position was "so, you are always saying we should always be taking Royal Knights, right?"), James took the following (dispositions of forces in pic above):
Theoden
Eowyn (hidden location)
Eomer
Two formations of nine coy Riders of Rohan (Eomer led the left wing, Theoden the right)
One formation of eight coy Oathsworn militia

I took:
The Witch-King
The King (selected by his peers on the basis of merit) (Thrydan)
Buhrdur (ambush)
One formation of five coy Carn Dum Berserkers
Two formations of four coy Carn Dum Berserkers
One formation of three coy Orc Bow
One formation of six coy Orc w 2HW
One Carn Dum Siege Bow

The rest of the report is here: http://roughwotr.blogspot.com/2011/10/w ... .html#more

Thanks for reading.

Post subject: Re: WOTR Rohavian Bandits vs Heroes of Carn Dum
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Very ncie report as always... Angamr shows her power 8)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:31 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Hehe, nice report, finally I can see some of your orcs :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:11 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Quote:
Then it happened. That sneaky bint Eowyn lept up behind our great-leader, as he bravely led at the head of our men, and stabbed him in the back. After it was all over, she could be seen capering about shrieking "I am no man!"

And then I read the paragraph after that she slue the Witch King. I thought she lost and was looking for the nearest man to protect her. A shrieking woman is usually fear. Funny!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:30 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

@ Hilbert: the funny thing is that a while back there was a long thread ranking armies and everyone said Angmar was the weakest going (weaker than Elves :lol: ) Once I looked at the actual list I new I could make it work and that got me started building it.

@ GothmogtheWerewolf.... except those are not mine! They are placeholders that I borrowed off one of my mates so I could get practiced using them.

@ Slythar: We at the Carn Dum Ministry of Truth feel that that risible Propoganda piece 'Return of the King' totally mythologises an actual happening where a half-crazed -would-be-warrior got lucky and stabbed our fearless leader in the back. You can see they feel a little guilty about it by putting that little Hobbit in their fictional account. Though at least she won on her own. I bet her idiot brother Eomer probably could have done with one of his men protecting him :P

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Angmar is always understimated :roll:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:10 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Oh, those are not your orcs, well i couldn't see them properly anyway there was only one close up of them, and come to think of it they looked more LOTR tahn WGF but at least your list looks a little less plain. Hard luck about the Witch-king, he was better with your houserules, and you did have a good victory. Also, the commentry was good and Hilbert, the reason that is the case is because people who haven't used it or seen it use well just think that we throw any old ghosts, spectres and spiruitts in willy nilly, so much so, that the list will never earn its own ptsvalue.

Damn, I like talking about Angmar.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:20 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I was happy to have the Witch-King die to Eowyn, just like he is meant to. With 'Epic Charge' in play, her odds aren't too bad. The big shame is that, due to the big units + and that idiotic spell, James never really got enough charges off and so never really beneifited from the rule we added to let the army do a Pellenor Fields type charge with the basic riders.

My list is not plain! Each of my identical units of 'Barbarians' has it's own iconography and I've named their cheiftains. :P Coming from an ancients background, where your viking list could quite easily be just a whole lot of identical bases referred to as something like "HF, Drilled, Armoured, Average, OFF Spear" with four or so leaders referred to as "Average General" it is a mishmash by comparision!

My wife has almost painted up a formation of archers for me so I'll let you know when I've got them based and photos taken. In the meantime, here are some better pics of the borrowed orcs: http://krugerskreations.blogspot.com/20 ... ngard.html

I think The One-Ring forum is home to the Angmar Renaissance. :D

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:32 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Xelee wrote:
I was happy to have the Witch-King die to Eowyn, just like he is meant to. With 'Epic Charge' in play, her odds aren't too bad. The big shame is that, due to the big units + and that idiotic spell, James never really got enough charges off and so never really beneifited from the rule we added to let the army do a Pellenor Fields type charge with the basic riders.

My list is not plain! Each of my identical units of 'Barbarians' has it's own iconography and I've named their cheiftains. :P Coming from an ancients background, where your viking list could quite easily be just a whole lot of identical bases referred to as something like "HF, Drilled, Armoured, Average, OFF Spear" with four or so leaders referred to as "Average General" it is a mishmash by comparision!

My wife has almost painted up a formation of archers for me so I'll let you know when I've got them based and photos taken. In the meantime, here are some better pics of the borrowed orcs: http://krugerskreations.blogspot.com/20 ... ngard.html

I think The One-Ring forum is home to the Angmar Renaissance. :D

Cheers

I agree with your last comment. Hurrah for Angmar! nice orcs and why are you making your wife paint them. Just because you name your chieftains doesn't make your list less plain :P from a distance, you can't tell te difference between each formation, and a list were all formations are the same is plain. You might as well use Morannon Orcs for all thecreativity :) Only joking, its better than that - howeever it does look a little plaiin compared to an army with variety. Judging by hat you say of Vikings, I'm glad I've never played them. Anyway, you are one of the primary reasons I found this site, so I cannot say anything bad against you, plus Angmar is the best.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:42 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

That description is from a statline from "Fields of Glory" aka FOG. Some people like it but it is the least fun I have ever had wargaming, even when I was winning!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:45 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I must congratulate you most heartily on your amazingly well-written report! It was so rich with words that I couldn't stop reading! Can't wait for another of a similar quality! :D
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:04 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks Sir Richard - people seem to take a liking to the two 'Carn Dum Ministry of Truth' style batreps I've done. However, I think I must have used up all my lines by now - though even if I can't manage it again, I always appreciate some encouragement!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:48 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

wow, what a movie moment, the witch king dies in epiic movie fashion.
excellent
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:17 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Xelee, the things I noticed and really loved was the obvious, but totally hilarious bias towards your side. Try keeping that up and adding a few other crafty lines and things to make it really like a report to the King or General. Hope this helped :)