All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:57 pm

Post subject: Annon's Hunters
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hi guys! I've recently been inspired off TLA to create my own battle company so here it is! Sorry I can't get any pics up. This is all made up by me so no offence meant if I get some stuff wrong or if you are not happy with the story. Appologies if it is too "book-like" for you or it's just plain bad :oops: but please enjoy.

History:
Arnor has fallen. The capital, Fornost, is sacked and corpses and ruins cover the land. Yet there is still hope in a few brave hearts. A small detachment of survivors, mostly composed of rangers, holds out in a small camp unknown to the enemy. Direct battle is not their from of war, as their numbers are so low they would be annihilated in a clash of shieldwalls, but rather in small skirmish groups. A small group of rangers led by Annon, a dunedain by blood, is one of the better known. Being one of the few groups that is capable of operating deep into enemy terriotory is what makes this small band invaluable to the forces of Arnor. Loyalty is a strong bond between these rangers though not all are men. Two elven friends from Rivendell have joined their party as they patrol the lands surrounding their small camps, picking off scouting warbands of orcs when they can.

We join our band at their small camp site. "Food is low," said Annon, emptying out the last crumbs of stale bread from his bag "We will have to kill for our supper tonight. As animals will be on low supply around these forests, doubtlessly cleared by orcs or driven away from unquiet spirits, I suggest we split up and then meet up again at this point at sundown."
"That sounds a sensible proposition." replied Baroth in his smooth and deep voice, the second in
command of the party, "May I suggest we go in twos minimum? Myself, Gasil and Bayarn can head north, yourself and Yaron can go south, and the two elves go west."
"I agree." said Celis, one of the Rivendell elves in response.
"Then that is what we shall do," said Annon, "Pack your equipment, we must make haste while the sun stays up."
They gathered up their weapons and promptly split. Annon and his comrade headed up north through the bare and twisted forest when suddenly he stopped. He stooped down and examined marks in the ground, "A deer passed by here not more than 20 minutes ago. He was heading that way." he said pointing to the slight-left. The two, encouraged by signs of prey, set off on a light jog in that direction. After several minutes they saw a blurry figure of brown walking around looking for fresh grazing.
"That's our supper." whispered Yaron
"I'll go ahead to the left and try and lead him towards you, stay hidden on the right and shoot accurately." Annon ordered and he started to slowly creep forwards. Suddenly, there was a rustling in the bushes near them and out of it flew a swift black-tailed arrow whistled through the air and hit Annon in the arm and pinning him to a tree. He gave out a short yell of pain and seeing the situation shouted to Yaron, "Quick, run! They will be too many for you, go and get help!"
Yaron thought he had never run so fast before, bounding over treacharous roots and ducking under the low branches as another arrow narrowly missed his head.
Annon had started bleeding now and he saw scruffy, crooked figures appear from the bushes. He heard coarse, gruff mumbles coming from them and a moment later they came over to him and wrenched the arrow out of him. He could clearly see they were orcs now.
"Hello, love" said a larger and stockier orc to the amusment of the others, "we'll be taking you for a little trip." The next thing he knew, his eyes were covered with a rag and he passed out a moment later.
Back at the camp, Yaron saw that the rest of the party had already assembled at hearing the noise of Annon's cry.
"What has happened?" asked Baroth as Yaron caught his breath
"Annon was ambushed," he replied panting and he swallowed hard "Orcs have kidnapped him, they were heading North west, towards us I think."
"Then we must hunt them down and slay the monstors." exclaimed Gasil. "What do you say, Baroth, as you are second in command?" Baroth was quite for a moment and had a thoughtful look upon his face
"Yes, that's what we must do." he said

They searched for a few hours until they found orc tracks.
"These are not old, they cannot be far away," said Baroth and they sped up their pace
"Look! There they are!" said Elenoth a while later
"Good, I will take Bayarn with me, we will ambush them from the other side. Wait for my signal, it will be the first arrow."

(Scenario 1: All for One)

(Good:
Baroth (ranger sergeant with spear)
Celis (wood elf with dagger)
Elenoth (wood elf with dagger)
Yaron (ranger sergeant without bow)
Gasil (ranger without bow)
Bayarn (ranger)
(Annon is unconcious and is being dragged by the orcs))

(Evil:
3 orcs with shields (one is sergeant and one is lieutenant)
3 orcs with spears
3 orcs with two-handed weapons (one is sergeant)
2 orcs with orc bows)

(terrain: there are some ruins in the south center of the board and forests parallel them in the north center with some rocks between them and some rocky terrain aproximately 12" from the west board edge)

(Deployment: orcs deploy nearish the south-western corner in a block with the orc archers on the opposite side of the rocky outcrop. Baroth and Bayarn deploy near the north-western corner near the orc archers and the rest deploy next to the ruins)

(Turn 1, Good priority due to special rules) the arrow flew and the warriors appeared from the woods taking the orcs by surprise. Bayarn and Baroth move slowly as they loaded their bows. They both hit their targets but failed to wound them even though the arrows pierce the crude armour, they only scratched the orcs torsos. The elves moved into the ruins by the back-entrance, their hearts pounding through knowing that they were terribly out-numbered whilst Gasil and Yaron move around the ruins preparing to engage the orcs' flank.

(Turn 2, Evil priority) The orcs ran towards the ruins, eager for battle and the elves rushed out to meet them whilst the flanking rangers hit their side. The orcs retaliated and shot another two of their crooked arrows. One hit Bayarn, and because of his light armour, it pierced through his thigh and he collapsed on the floor, helpless. The charging elves and rangers were of course, hopelessly outnumbered and were all butchered simply through being over whelmed and within minutes, they all lay on the floor, some groaning, others still and lifeless. Blood covered the small patch of ground but the orcs did not finish the job but were ordered by their commander to continue on on their pressing mission.

(Turns 3 and 4, both good priority) Enraged by the fall of his comrade, Baroth launched himself at the orc archers and swung his spear around furiously and beating back the orcs but merely grazing their arms and faces, causing no real harm. He continued sweeping his spear around but his rage had made him clumsy and the orcs could easily foresee his move. One was too cowardly to move in but the bolder one promptly ducked and quickly drawing another arrow, stabbed it deep into Baroth's shoulder. The orc grinned and pushed it further in just from pure spite before Baroth fell then the orcs ran from the corpses to rejoin their comrades.

To be continued....

Post subject: Re: Annon's Hunters
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:53 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Nice start but who or what is TLA ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Floi the loremaster wrote:
Nice start but who or what is TLA ?

It's another LotR SBG/WotR gaming site similar to One Ring. It stands for "the last alliance"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

oh i will foud it thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I love all the background. I'm doing something similar with a Gondor character.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

General Elessar wrote:
I love all the background. I'm doing something similar with a Gondor character.

Thanks, George. Are you going to start battle companies then?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:46 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Great story you have got there, well done.
Could you maybe post up the rules for your BC so we can see how the warriors get promoted and things.
Nevertheless great work.

Cyndra the Grey

My General WIP
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:22 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Cyndra the Grey wrote:
Great story you have got there, well done.
Could you maybe post up the rules for your BC so we can see how the warriors get promoted and things.
Nevertheless great work.

Cyndra the Grey

Ok. I think this is quite balanced myself but maybe you will differ.

Reinforcement table:
1- no effect
2-3- ranger
4-5 ranger with spear or warrior of arnor
6- roll again above
1- hobbit sherrif
2-3 wood elf with elven blade
4-5 wood elf with elven blade and throwing daggers
6- Dunedain or Wood elf Sentinel

Promotion table:
(for everyone) 1-5: no effect 6:hero (gain fate point)

Special rules:
Rangers: as this battle company is mostly made of rangers, the bow limit may be up to 50% rather than 33% but rangers that arrive as reinforcements do not come with bows and thus must be bought them

Path of the Sentinel(yes, I know that they're supposed to be from Rivendell):If a wood elf hero rolls a "Special Rule" on the hero advance table, it may roll on the "wood elf sentinel song" table rather than the others. 1-2: Hymn of Elbereth 3-4: Eldamar Madrigal 4-5: Fall of Gondolin.

Stuff:

Bow/elf bow (not for hobbits or WoA)- 1 influence point
Throwing daggers (wood elves only)- 1 infulence point
elven cloak (wood elves only)- 2 influence points
elven blade (wood elves only)- 1 influence point
Spear/wood elf spear (not for hobbits)- 1 influence point

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:28 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

That looks balanced from where im sitting. The 50% bow idea is good as well. Im not sure of the rules of the sentinel songs so im not sure if that unbalances the BC company but i don't think that it will too much.
Are you playing against other people or against yourself like the people on TLA?
Looking forward to some more battles.

Cyndra the Grey

My General WIP
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Cyndra the Grey wrote:
That looks balanced from where im sitting. The 50% bow idea is good as well. Im not sure of the rules of the sentinel songs so im not sure if that unbalances the BC company but i don't think that it will too much.
Are you playing against other people or against yourself like the people on TLA?
Looking forward to some more battles.

Cyndra the Grey

I'm playing against my little brother. Sorry I haven't been able to get any more battles down on paper, I've been really busy over the last few days. But rest assured, it will come soon.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Baroth woke up not much later with only to see his comrades lying on the floor groaning. Fortunately, noone was quiet which was a good sign. His head was spinning and he felt dreadful. He started to push himself up but felt a sharp pain shoot through his left shoulder. He looked towards it and saw a large patch of blood soaking his leather jerkin then it all stormed back to him; the spear, the arrow, and the haunting grin. He collapsed back to the floor but eventually managed to push himself up using only his right arm. He got up and looked to Bayarn who had fallen not further than 3 meters away from him.
"I'm alright, Baroth, I really am. If you could just help me to get this..." he gave out a cry as Baroth swiftly tugged out the arrow implanted in his thigh.
"It's not deep," Baroth said examining the wound "your armour must have stopped the worst of the arrow."
"Well I feel much better now. Thanks." he replied. Baroth helped him up and then Bayarn saw his comrade's own wound.
"I'm surprised you're not on the floor now, that looks deep." he implied
"It is, but it can't have hit anything vital as it merely stings a little now."
"Do you want me to..?" Bayarn asked slowly
"Yes, yes, please, the sooner it's out the better." Baroth braced himself and the arrow came out sharply and painfully.
"Hmm... It seems to be bleeding quite badly, I think that will show it's toll. I'm slightly surprised that you were the one that helped me up and not the other way round."
"I don't know what it could be but I feel well enough. Anyway, we have no time to spare, we must help the others."

Gasil, Celis, and Yaron were merely knocked out and quickly recovered with minor bleeds. However Elenoth was not quite as lucky, he had a deep cut in his chest and, although he seemed not too bothered about it, he could not stand up or even sit up unsupported.
"I think I will be all right," he said "I'm an elf after all and it should heal quickly."
"Nonetheless, you need help. Yaron and Celis; stay with him and tend his wound. Myself, Bayarn, and Celis will go ahead to look for Annon." said Baroth.
They ran ahead again, so devouted to their leader that they nearly completely forgot about their wounds. They eventually came to an area crowded with woods and ruins and Bayarn thought he could see a small trace of smoke rise from the ruins. They all went to investigate and sure enough, lying sprawled across the ruined floor, was Annon. Baroth ran to help him and raised his head.
"Annon! Are you still there?" he shouted. Annon gave a low, painful grunt. "He's still alive, quick, get some water." Baroth continued. Celis fetched a skin cask filled with water and handed it to Baroth. Baroth hastily opened the cask and put the end to Annon's lips and Annon gave a sigh of refreshment after having a good sip. He started to try and stand up and was helped by the others when they heard a russle in the bushes. Within seconds, Annon had identified it.
"Wargs," he said solemnly "doubtless drawn here by the scent of blood. We must get help and fast. Celis, I trust your legs are serving you well, go and get the others as quickly as you can. Myself, Baroth, and Bayarn will try and hold here until help arrives.

(Scenario 2: Rescue)

(Good:
Lt. Annon
Sgt. Yaron
Sgt. Baroth (old battle wound)
Bayarn
Elenoth (injured)
Celis)

(Evil:

1 warg rider with hand weapon (lieutenant)
1 warg rider with throwing spear (sergeant)
1 warg rider with orc bow
2 wild wargs (one is sergeant))

(Deployment:)Annon and his two companions lay in hiding in a large ruin which was next to a smaller one both surrounded by woods (center of the board ruins are "haunted"). The warg rider commander and the two unridden wild wargs came out to the south side near the the ruins where the rangers hid. The other two warg riders revealed themselves parallel to them at the north.

(turn one: evil priority due to special rules:) the wargs cantered forwards, the commander steering towards the direction around the ruins and the others heading straight for the forest. The rangers moved silently towards the smaller ruins from which they could better make a firing base. Meanwhile, Yaron and the others had been collected by Celis and using Yaron's cloak as a stretcher for Elenoth, they moved towards the scene of battle. Gasil spotted the clearing where the wargs were preparing to close in. Promptly putting Elenoth down in some undergrowth, they all drew their swords and entered the clearing.

(turn two: good priority:) the reinforcements ran forwards to the ruins, they were all parted in a skirmish-like formation. Annon and his companions moved into the smaller ruins where Annon pulled himself up to some broken flooring in the ruins giving him a clear view over the small forests. The Northern warg riders dismounted as to better get through the dense forest but their wargs, feeling uneasy from the haunt of the ruins ran to safety.

(turn three: evil priority:) the southern wargs had succesfully maneuvered around the forests and were preparing to engage the rangers who were running to the rescue. The two wargs pounced onto Gasil and Yaron. Yaron, seeing the furious warg charge towards him, grabbed a large stick and managed to block the impending mouth of the warg with it but was knocked to the ground at the impact, he kept the warg back by firmly holding the stick that was stalling it and kicked it back and hastily got back to his feet. Gasil tried to dodge but the warg slashed at him narrowly missing his belly with its sharp claws but only tearing cloth. The commander, meanwhile, had gone around to attempt to assault Annon but his warg stalled at the crucial moment feeling the haunt of the ruins. The defending rangers, seeing this opportunity, rushed at the commander and trapped him against a ruined wall butchering the orc and his warg.

(turn four: evil priority:) the wargs charged again at the rangers. But Celis spotted Yaron in trouble and ran over to help. Working together, Yaron slashed at the warg leaving it helpless on the floor. Bayarn and Baroth, seeing the orcs crossing around, drew their bows and their sharp, accurate arrows knocked one orc straight off his feet. Gasil, however, was not so lucky. The warg clawed his leg but before it had the chance to go in for the killing blow, Celis and Yaron were already there and it decided to abandon the field. The day was ended in a glorious rescue for the hunters.

To be continued...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:04 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'm getting excited I like the story behind it maybe much more fun than the battle report :P

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

hero of gondor wrote:
I'm getting excited I like the story behind it maybe much more fun than the battle report :P

Haha, yeah. The battles are kinda only there to dictate which way the story goes, lol.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:21 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Great work again and im glad to see that the hunters came out on top this time. Perhaps some pics to show what's happening if you can manage them but it does make it a very stop start kind of game.

Im jealous that you have a brother to play against all I have is an older teenage sister :sad:
I might start this kind of thread when my dunland battle company is started because i'm making a dunland verses rohan campaign so it might be good to record it.
Anyway sorry for my rambling but keep up the amazing ideas.

Cyndra the Grey

My General WIP
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sorry it's been a while, guys. I've been busy lately and our internet hasn't been working too well either. Anyway, here it is. Brace yourselves, it's a long read.

The aftermath of the battle was consisted mostly of Annon receiving strong embraces. Celis and Yaron, the only two who had seen Gasil fall, rushed over to help him and called for the others to come and help.
"Oh, stop fussing over me like some mothers over a tripped child." Gasil said, young and proud as he was.
"I think you should learn to be more appreciative, regardless of its seriousness." said Yaron sternly.
"You're probably right as usual, I suppose." Gasil sighed, "but I think we should move on, I'm sure there are more unpleasant and hungry things lurking around here. Just being here gives me an uneasy feeling, like there's something haunted about this place."
"Which would explain the frequency of the orcs, though I think it served us rather than cursed us in this case, the wargs seemed terrified of the place which must have given us that fairly easy victory. Come." said Annon offering Gasil a hand which he reluctantly took as he stood up.
"Where to now?" asked Elenoth, "there's no chance that we'll catch those orcs now. I suppose they have some vital information by now."
"You presume too much my friend," interupted Annon "I haven't told them anything, though they tortured me. They had just started when, what seemed like a messenger, rode towards the group on a warg. He said something to them, doubtless in the black-speech which I have yet to learn. He seemed to be in a hurry and before I knew it, they were on the move. One orc, also speaking in that foul tongue pointed at me and asked, what I presumed was "What shall we do with the ranger?" the other replied something along the lines of "Leave him, he will burden us and he probably dosen't know much anyway."
"But why would they withdraw like that?" Bayarn inquired
"Hopefully we will find out why. But the hour is late, we must find somewhere less uneasy than here to set camp." Annon replied
"And we still haven't got our dinner." Baroth complained and at which everyone laughed.

Baroth and Celis returned to the camp with a rabbit flung over each of their shoulders.
"Not much but it is all we could get in the little time we had." said Baroth laying down the rabbits by the deliberately small campfire.
"I think that will do us well enough for tonight." said Yaron, who was tending it.
Eventually, the hearty stew that Yaron had cooked up was ready and they all tucked in, famished after the day's excitement, though not too famished to not boast about their accomplishments in their skirmish. Suddenly, there was a snap of a twig behind them. In an instant Annon was on his feet and aiming his bow.
"Who goes there?" he asked at the mysterious figure.
"A friend." it replied in a low, coarse voice. When it came through the bushes, they saw he was another ranger.
"What is your name?" Annon continued lowering his bow.
"Denach, I have come to inform you. Our forces have managed to get a foot-hold in an area not far from here. Our leader would like you to meet up with our troops there. It will also be an opportunity to refill with supplies."
"Very well, show us the way."
"Yes, we must hurry, I'm sure there are many evil things lurking in this area."
"We've noticed." added Yaron.

They started at a fair jog bounding over fallen logs with Gasil falling behind from his minor wounds but refusing any assistance. It was around midnight as they reached the camp. Everything was quiet except for some muttering among some of the restless soldiers. Denach beaconed the others to find themselves some sleep in the tents nearby and for only Annon to follow him into a largish tent where they saw an older man in a thick leather jerkin and a full brown beard.
"Annon!" he exclaimed as they exchanged embraces, "How it warms me to see you again."
"And to see you too, father." he replied in amazement "but why are you here? I thought you were holding the reserve which was defending our main camp."
Annoral (for that was his name) let his son go and looked down and stroked his beard. Then he stopped and looked up. "You don't know do you?" he said solemnly
"Know what?"
"This is the reserve."
"But what happened to the main force?" he cried in shock
"The main force is gone." he said, "as we were arriving to reinforce them, knowing nothing of the action, we came over a hill when we saw fire in the distance. We saw black figures swarming over a camp which, we knew, was the one we were to reinforce. There was a terrible horde of them we could see as watched in utter shock as the faint scream of women and children echoed towards us. The horde was colossal, at least 3 times the size of the entire camp. We knew we couldn't do anything to stop them and going to it would be suicide and that most of them would be dead by now. So we moved on, away from the camp."
There was a silence as Annon stood there, stunned with horror when he suddenly broke out.
"So you didn't do anything to help them?"
"Annon, it was suicide..." Annoral interrupted but it didn't stop him
"You let all those innocent people die when you could have saved at least some of those poor souls?"
"Annon, I know..." he tried to interrupt again
"In all my life, I have never seen or even heard of someone so much of a coward as you!"
"Annon!" he suddenly bellowed out incredibly loudly and violently, "you know not what you say calling your own father a coward! This is a war! People die in war! I had a responsibility to preserve the lives of my own men rather than send them out on a hopeless mission in which only more lives would be lost."
"Well at least I would have been noble enough to sacrifice myself for them." Annon replied hotly and turned to leave the tent, spitting at its floor as he left. Annoral turned to his second in command and said, "See to it he does not leave the camp, he has a life ahead of him worth more than to waste on sentimental folly."

Annon did not sleep that night. The horror was too much for him and he was restless. It seemed like weeks before dawn finally broke. He moved out of his tent and saw that breakfast, if you could have called it that, was being served. He saw his father approach him.
"I have nothing to say to you." Annon snarled
"But I have something to say to you" he said "I will get straight to the point. Barbarians have taken a watchtower near here recently, not only is that a good holding point, we cannot afford for it to be reinforced and our position located. I am asking you to go and take control of it. You will gain some reinforcements for this mission as it will be hard."
"Very well but I'm not doing it for you." he replied as he turned to regroup his men. He found them all nearby sitting around a small fire talking quietly.
"Where is Gasil, and where are all the sentries?" Annon asked seeing the area practically empty.
"He may be over there." Yaron said pointing to a crowd of soldiers. Annon groaned in irritation. and headed over there and beaconing for Celis to follow him who was finished with his small meal.
There was loud laughing and jeering coming somewhere from the center. Annon barged his way through the sweaty bodies until he came to a small ring formed from sticks where two men were fighting. A young man was fighting a much larger man who had him on the floor and was pummeling his face.
"That's Gasil!" exclaimed Celis seeing the smaller one.
"Stop!" roared Annon and all the shouting and jeering stopped and the larger man got off Gasil.
"Young fool!" Annon said to him pushing Gasil into the crowd. "What is the meaning of this?" he shouted addressing the whole crowd, "fighting like a vile rabble of orcs. I expected more! Who is responsible for this stupidity?"
"It's the only entertainment we've had in months! We haven't been able to hunt anything bigger than a rabbit further than a mile from this camp!" one ranger said near the front of the crowd, clearly the one responsible. There were mutters of agreement through the crowd. "If you find us something better to do, great, but you haven't. So what are you going to do to stop us?"
"What if I take on your man? Will you stop then?" Annon replied, the crowd laughed a little.
"You can try. But what will be your wager? Ours is this fine set of throwing daggers." he said.
Annon began drawing his sword.
"This filth isn't worthy of fighting you. Let me." said Celis. Annon thought for a moment.
"Very well. You will fight him."
The crowd laughed heavily but Celis ingnored them and drew his long dagger as his wager and stuck it in the ground.
"I'll make mince-meat of this woman!" insulted the large, topless man.
"Why don't you put your fist where your mouth is, or I'll do it for you." said Celis taking his cloak and tunic off.
"Don't say I didn't warn you when I make you cry!"

The two figures, man and elf, approached the middle of the ring. The ranger that was talking earlier declared the rules.
"No weapons, first to make the other surrender. Start in three, two, one, now!"
The large brute threw a heavy punch at Celis' head which he easily ducked and retaliated with kicking him in the stomach, winding him for a moment. The crowd was beggining to get excited. The man backed out a little gaining his breath.
"Ready for more or do you want to give up now." taunted Celis bouncing from toe to toe.
The man charged, shouting, and threw a flurry of punches, one hitting Celis on the shoulder knocking him down. The brute tried to land on Celis but he rolled out of the way rose quickly and knee'ed him in the back bringing him to one knee. He then followed up with a scissor kick to the back of the head, landed, and then kicked once more by his ear before he fell on his back. Celis was about to jump on him when he grabbed his leg and flung him to the floor. The big man rolled on top of him but Celis gave him a flurry of quick jabs to his face and knee'ed him off him. The man reached over the floor before Celis could get up and he slammed him down again, he got up, picked him up again and smashed him onto his knee, threw him down and kicked him whilst he was on the floor. Celis got up slowly whilst the bigger man was gaining his breath
"Ready to surrender yet?" the big man asked.
Ignoring the pain Celis charged at him, headbutting his chest and punching his stomach furiously, finishing with an uppercut to his jaw bringing him down. The crowd was now roaring with enthusiasm. The man got up again, spitting out a few teeth and wiping his nose from blood. The big man breathed in and roared as he charged, Celis braced himself and at just the right moment, flipped over the larger man using his shoulders as a vault. Behind him, he did a sharp kick to his spine bending him backwards so he was facing the sky and then he leapt slamming both his fists into his face before he landed. The larger man was now groaning on the floor in agony.
"I do believe I have the victory," said Celis, the crowd behind him silent with shock. "get that man a stretcher." he said claiming his prize and putting back on his clothes. The crowd then dispersed slowly and Gasil, Annon, and Celis went back to the others.

Yaron and the others had packed up by then and were waiting.
"What took you, and what happened to you two?" he said looking at the elf and Gasil.
"Celis has been busy performing a minor miracle." said Annon
"And Gasil?" asked Baroth.
"Gasil has been busy doing," Annon paused, "something else." Gasil looked down, ashamed.
Just then, Annoral's second-in-command arrived with some armed warriors behind him.
"These are your reinforcements, they are experienced. Keep them to hold the watchtower until help arrives." he said. "Denach, who I'm sure you are already familiar with, will be your guide again."
"Good." said Annon, "I expect you all know what you are doing?" he said addressing the new warriors. They looked at eachother and nodded.
"Excellent, we have no time to lose, follow our guide's lead."

(Scenario 3: Take the Watchtower)

(Good forces: Annon's hunters+reinforcements
Annon, lieutenant (ranger)
Yaron, sergeant (ranger with no bow)
Baroth, sergeant (ranger with spear)
Gasil (ranger without bow)
Bayarn (ranger)
Denach (ranger with no bow and spear)
Celis (wood elf with throwing daggers)
Elenoth (wood elf)

Reinforcements:
3 warriors of Arnor
2 rangers of Arnor)

(Evil forces: Carn Dum Barbarian scouting band (Haradrim battle company)
Lieutenant (barbarian with bow)
Sergeant (barbarian with spear)
Sergeant (barbarian with spear)
3 barbarians with spears
4 barbarians with bows )

(Note: my brother was allowed 50% bow limit on his barbarian battle company which we thought was fair enough.)

(objectives: if at the end of any turn, if I had one or more models in the watchtower, I won. But if my brother reduced my force to 25% before that happened, he won.)

(terrain: there were forests near the southern board edge in a line blocking view with walls of ruin imbetween the forests making progress tricky. The watchtower was 12" from the northern board edge on a hill. There were also some short walls of ruin scattered between the forest providing good cover.)

(deployment: the barbarians deployed as close as they were allowed to to the tower. I deployed all my archer rangers (including the reinforcing ones) to the south-east corner behind the forests, the elves deployed near the middle of the southern edge, the close-combat troops and Baroth deployed near the south-western corner.)

It was mid-afternoon when they got first sight of the watch tower. Annon brought his men down to cover and briefed them. They all got to their positions and prepared their advance.

(turn 1: Good pri:) They moved swiftly around the woods except for the elves who gracefully bounded through the dense forest. However, luck was against them that day, and the sentry saw the glisten of the warrior of Arnor's armour and called for all his warband to take refuge in the tower.

(turn 2: Evil pri:) The barbarian archers had now reached the top of the tower and with a great bellow, the commander signaled for them to fire. Several arrows thudded into the rangers' thick leather armour but none caused serious injury save for the commander's shot which whistled through the air piercing a ranger through the neck. He fell gurgling with blood in his throat. All the soldiers moved on, spurred on by fear with the elves, ahead of the others, leaping behind cover. Annon calls for a revenge volley but they all clatter against the battlements or merely scratch the well protected barbarians.

(turn 3: Evil pri:) The barbarians re-loaded their bows and the commander signaled for the shots to be taken at the approaching Arnorian veterans. Eager for blood, the commander brings down another warrior, cunningly shooting it imbetween his heavy breast plate whilst his savage comrades brought down another over-whelming him with poisoned black arrows. The rangers were now enraged and shot furiously transforming one barbarian's head into a living pin cushion.

(turn 4: good pri:) Yaron's detachment was quickly closing in on the tower and the elves were very close. Celis threw a dagger but, unused to its mode of flight, it missed one of the barbarians guarding the doorway. The barbarian let loose their arrows again but failed to cause any serious injuries as did the rangers.

(turn 5: evil pri:) The men guarding the doorway stay put deciding it would be easier to hold there. Whilst one was distracted by the oncoming sword-armed rangers, the two elves charge at the other causing him to move back but missing with their daggers.

(turn 6: evil pri:) The guard countercharges the elves thrusting his spear towards them whilst Yaron, supported by Denach's long-reaching spear, charges straight at the doorway bristling with spears like a porcupine. The guard becomes nervous and keeps his spear still allowing Yaron to chop it straight in two. He waits for Denach to follow up with his spear which never comes and glances behind him and sees him collapsed on the floor from a poisoned arrow.

(turn 7: good pri:) The elves charge again at the spear-wall with Celis' dagger grazing his face the man exclaimed and, taking the opportunity, Celis cut him down. Yaron stabs his sword straight at the barbarian. He feints but the sword still slides brutally through his arm as he lets out a scream of pain. Annon and his band continued to approach the watchtower slowly, taking shots at the archers as they went.

(turn 8: good pri:) Yaron and Celis take the opportunity and leap through the door only to be greeted by more spears. Yaron parries just in time but Celis is stabbed and falls back through the door. Yaron was forced to retreat back out again.

(turn 9: evil pri:) The evil men fill out the door way again but are charged by Elenoth and Yaron. However, the spearmen were fresh and Yaron and Elenoth were tiring and so were pushed back.

(turn 10: good pri:) Annon breathed out steadily, raised his bow and shot. The shot was true and it impaled a barbarian's skull, never to rise again. Elenoth and Yaron tried to charge again but were knocked back once more.

(turn 11: good pri:) Determined now, Yaron shouts as he charges. Ducking under the swinging spear and he slashes at his stomach, bringing the evil man down. Annon saw the archers dissapear down a ladder and called his men to pick up pace.

(turn 12 and 13: evil pri:) The archers come down but seeing the door packed with bodies, the commander runs through a secret narrow exit and shouts for his companions, the wounded as well, to follow. One barbarian stood his ground hoping to stall the rangers. Swinging his spear in desperation, the barbarian held them back for a moment before losing his nerve and ran for his life.

(Good victory!)

A moment of amazement and relief overcame Yaron and Annon, they knew that they were strong and that they could do amazing deeds and this emboldened them. Gasil had rushed up to the top floor looking for enemies and action but saw a ranger's lonbow by one of the barbarian's corpses.
"Time that was reclaimed." he thought to himself. He had just taken it when he heard Annon rallying them, he came back down again.
"We must follow them, they have information now. Celis, are you alright?" Annon said.
"Fine, thankyou." said Celis.
"We could do with another body." Annon continued, "you," he said pointing at a younger ranger "come with us, the rest of you, stay here and guard the watchtower until help arrives."

To be continued...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:39 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Great work again, you are amazing at writing (or typing :-D ) As always i can't wait for another battle report.
Did anyone die from this battle? or will you account for that at the beginning of the next part?
Keep it up.

Cyndra the Grey

My General WIP
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:09 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Just making sure thisis for the strategy battle game and not the war of the ring. Great job coming up with it. I like the different rules you came up for it. But it seams there aren't many guys involved so it would take maybe and hour.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:55 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

cookluke5150 wrote:
Just making sure thisis for the strategy battle game and not the war of the ring. Great job coming up with it. I like the different rules you came up for it. But it seams there aren't many guys involved so it would take maybe and hour.

I didn't invent it. It's a thing called battle companies. Just google battle companies rules and you should get them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:44 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Oh my bad 8) :oops: . Mostly have been focused on War of the Ring. But still good idea to change things up and do something different :D