All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:56 am

Post subject: 1000 pt Ithilien vs Galadrim (Battle for the Pass)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:29 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I thought we could use some more WOTR content here :)

Part One. (from http://roughwotr.blogspot.com/2010/09/b ... en-vs.html)

Andy dropped by and gave me a game of WOTR last night. 1000pts of his Galadrim vs my Ithilien, including my new allied Rohirm. In the pictures, all upgrades are as modelled, except banners for both forces are just for show. Andy is proxying using his High-Elves for Galadrim (at my suggestion). Yes, I know my paintjob is a bit 'rough', I think there is a tagline in there somewhere.

Andy took: Galadriel and Thranduil (seen here deployed in longbows bottom left), four companies of Galadrim with Glaives (left back), four companies with longbows (bottom left), four companies with longbows (right), two companies with longbows (far right).

I took: Faramir, Prince of Ithilien (deployed in Men-at-Arms bottom right), four companies of veteran Men-at-Arms (bottom right), his White company bodyguard three companies strong (next along the line from Men-At-Arms), three companies of bowmen (next long line top left), Elphir of Dol Amroth (Isildur, deployed in Archers), then second row - six companies of Knights of Ithilien with shields and Hornblower (right), four companies of Ithilien Lancers (on hill), five companies of Rohirim Heavy Cavalry (second rank, behind bow and beside lancers on hill) Elfwine (Erkenbrand, deployed in Rohirim).

Seeing as Andy was going as Elves, I suggested we play 'Battle for the pass' deployment, to start our armies further away and give him a (somewhat more) credible chance of protecting flanks vs all that Cav.

Here is end turn one: The Elves stand and pour longbow fire into the advancing army of Ithilien. The Cavalry were screened by the foot at the front, so Andy focused his fire on the Bowmen. He rolled really well and almost brought the unit down to a level where they would have succumbed to 'hope is lost' and run, taking Elphir with them. Andy went first, which he came to regret after he realised that this meant he could not both move back and keep me in spell-range, lesson learned! Thranduil and Galadriel both cast whatever magic they can cast, which is only one spell between them. Andy's magic dice were cursed all game.

Turn two: Sees the Ithilen advance continued. The Elves back off slightly to keep sufficient spacing to hold off an end of turn charge and, since they go second, get spells this time. They fail to achieve anything. My Cavalry, now confident the Elves intend to maintain the full line, have raced to mass on my left flank. Elphir abandons the luckless Bowmen and joins the Ithilien Lancers. With my moves, the angling of the remaining archers and that hill top-right, the Cavalry remain fully screened.

Turn three to follow in pt. 2. The lines are now close enough for some action, but will the Elves stand and fight, or fall-back once more?

Post subject: Re: 1000 pt Ithilien vs Galadrim (Battle for the Pass)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:29 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Turn three, Ithilien goes first. I form my Men-at-Arms into a wide screen and push it as close to the forest as I can get, screening the Cavalry behind. Remnants of the Rangers and Archers serve to complete the screen this turn. Next turn, the Elves will not be able to back out of the fight. Most of the Elves drop back just under 4, while the Glaives advance and occupy the wood amidst their lines. Andy asks for my advice on whether to put Thranduil in with them, I comment that "I can't comment." After weathering another pointless magic phase and losing some Rangers to shooting... Faramir leads the Men-at-Arms in a charge on the woods. They win the fight, ejecting the Elves and setting things up nicely for the next turn.
And here we are. It is turn 4. The Elves go second. Faramir leaves the woods so as to put his heavy infantry unit right amongst the longbows and I have two units of heavy Cavalry led by Epic Heroes waiting to charge the other longbows, led by Galadriel and Thranduil. The Elves form and again there magic causes only light casualties. Their bowfire does not achieve much and then knights crash into one side, and Men-at-Arms into the other. The Elven Glaives had cunningly proceeded through the forest without entering and clipped the flank of the first wave of knights with their own charge. Elwine's cavalry had been too complacent and not kept the right arcs to then counter charge a flanking move. Thus is the peril of going first. In the ensuing fights, Faramir's men actually managed to lose by a single casualty, but regrouped. At the main even, Elphir called a duel on Galadriel and Thranduil called one on him. Andy actually won, so his went first and I won by one, Thranduil's last might point went to cancel that out. Elphir then slew Gladriel and the combined effects of the duel and the charge easily saw the Cav win, though the flank charge by Andy's aggressive Glaives and bowfire has knocked their unit down to half strength. Nonetheless, the way was now clear.
And any prepared Cavalry commander brings a spare. For turn five, Andy's Elves went first. They were so blocked in by all my units, that they were unable to avoid what was coming next. Thranduil at least entangled Elfwine's Knights (after his Nature's Wrath failed to cast). As many as the Elven bowmen were, they were not enough. The Glaives were hit by Elwine's Knights, Elphir led the spare Lancers back into the depleted unit of Longbow to his front, and the remnants of the Knights joined in. Faramir charged once more into the breach on the other flank. At this stage, it's worth reflecting on the fact that 'Terror' is a nice rule, but useless for all practical purposes vs a Gondor list. Faramir auto passes one test for free, Elphir (Isildur) is Inspring Leader with courage 6 and Elfwine (Erkenbrand) is 'Bold Beyond Belief'. The photo above tells vividly of the battle results. One unit of Longbow wiped out, Thranduil with them. Glaives down to two companies, Longbows down to two companies, and the remaining two company formation out there on the far flank.
And here we are, turn six, I have priority and choose to go second. Andy is out of options at this point, so this is what I set up. Even my two one company bow units join the party, moving into close range of the enemy longbow, who intend to charge so will not shoot. Their bowfire was twice as effective against the Elves, due to the range.
Here is the outcome of turn 6's combats. Five Elves remain in a single company of Longbow and Ithilien's massed Cavalry has swept the field.

I have a suggested rules change based on this game (I think Andy's force was well enough composed): Elven archers should gain the ability to ignore shields. That would put them back up in the top-tier of shooters where they belong, model their ability to pick weak spots on targets, and still give those units that paid a premium for high base defense the benifit of their statline. It is all the 25-35pt def 5(7) units that stymie them so much at the moment. My screen essentially negated Elven shooting. Losing the shields would double the rate of casualites.

Andy tells me he is building a Mordor army...

So I guess we could leave the rules as is and have players abandon the full variety of armies in Tolkien's setting to all gravitate towards the top-tier?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Glad to see Gondor win. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:39 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Cheers General Elessar. It was good to win, especcially after the thrashing they took after their befuddlement vs the Beige Wizard the week before.

However, I can't take too much credit due to the appallingly bad performance of Elven shooting in WOTR. We actually laughed at one point when Andy was going over spell-options for a turn when I was outside 18" and he read the 'guide arrows' spell. Another change I'd suggest would be that the spell should allow them to reroll 1s and 2s.

All taking Longbow really seemed to do for him was leave him in a situation where even the Ithilien Men-at-Arms were hitting on 5s in melee. The Cav were hitting on 4s! That is not sustainable for an expensive list like Elves. The Ithilien list could have been 'harder' as well, I just wanted to run almost all my Cav at once. What if the Elves had been facing massed def 5(7) troops?