All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:57 pm

Post subject: tourny 1500pts, Misty mountains overview (wotr)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:15 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ok so today I played my first 3 games of wotr at a tourny (and ive only had the rulebook for 6days)
so here's what happened

(i cant remember all this perfectly so some things will be left out, and the turns my not be right, but you will get the picture)

this was my list

Epic Hero:
Durburz - 70
Khamul the easterling (allied) - 125

Common:
Goblins with shields - 6 companies - 120
Goblins with bows - 4 companies - 80
Goblins with bows - 3 companies - 60
Wargs - 4 companies - 80

Rare:
Dragon - spells - 475
Cave troll - 75
Cave troll - 75
Gundabad Blackshields - 8 companies - 160

Legendary:
Sharku's hunters - 3 companies - 150

fate: tokens of terror (which i put on the blackshields, but the nazgul was with them the whole time so it was of no use)

Game 1: The high ground, maelstrom
the objective was a structure of +3D (and all terrain was 6c capacity, cause he was such a nice guy (and such a fun opponent))

opponent had
saruman
lurtz
4c uruks shield (epic heros here)
2 troll capt
2c scouts bows
3c xbox w/ capt
1c beserkers
3c uruk phalax
3c mauhur's marauaders

my map :P
_________top
left_____objective____right
________bottom

I rolled well for this as dragon, troll, gobs w/ shields, blackshields and wargs all coming on right (none of his stuff on right), 3c archers left and 4c archers bottom
his 4c uruks (lurtz and saruman) coming into top in forest, beserkers left (RIGHT BEHIND MY ARCHERS), 2c scouts bows on left into forest

turn 1
I move my 4c archers into the objective
4c uruks move into a building right next to all my guys (being my first game I didnt think to put anyone there, just thought to run the objective) and kill some goblins, and str from corruption on themselves, so i didnt charge them, instead, i hit them with all my magic and fire breath(that dragon is just amazing) and killed almost 2c
i shoot and kill a beserker, he shoots and kills 3ish gobs in objective
beserkers annihilate 3c archers (rear charge and all that beserker stuff)

turn 2(well i forget some things so some of this may be turn 3)
his move
beserkers move towards objective
saruans formation moves away back to forest (he did magic but i cant remember - it didnt do much)
troll chief arrives on left and moves at the double to objective
3c xbows arrive bottom into forest (again i didnt go in there as i for got about at the double)
2nd troll capt arrives top and moves to objective
mauhurs marauders arrive bottom(a third from the left side) and move to objective
3c phalax arrives bottom left of xbows in forest
My move
everything on right moves toward xbows in the forest (which is a slight detour from the objective) (tried to sunder spirit, then transfix the xbows, failed, but dragon gets dark fury and kills some, also, blackshields just block the uruks, cause they cant fit in to fight the xbows)
sharkus hunters arrive left, move right behind maudurs guys
troll top - arrive very close to the troll capt

shooting, i kill 3 beserkers, his 2c scouts kills 3ish gobs in objective, xbows fail to hurt the dragon

his marauders, troll capt on left attack the objective
beserkers fail to charge objective
his troll capt and my troll duke it out at the top(no result)
dragon, gobs w/ shield, wargs attack xbows, 13ish die, kills a few gobs in return, xbows lose but remain steadfast
sharkus guys kill 12ish marauders, 1 or 2 loss in return
troll kills 7ish gobs but gobs pass panic test

turn 3(and mixed with 4.... it 1am so i can remember everything)
My move
dragon moves and tremors maraudurs, phalax and xbows (but only does marauders, forgot about phalax and xbows, but it didnt matter) killing off mauhur's marauders, then finishes moving (at the double) on left side of phalax
blackshields advance on sarumans unit and shatter their shields, and kill some
troll on right, gobs w/ shields, and wargs get ready to attack xbows
top troll moves closer to objective, but close enough for throwing wpns btwn the trolls :P
sharkus guys line up to attack beserkers
His move
phalax faces dragon
top toll capt moves toward blackshields
lurts uses assasins shot on khamul
troll capt on left moves to attack sharkus guys ( to help the beserkers)

shooting
i kill 2 more beserkers
he kills 3ish more gobs in objective (the scouts had been pepering them with arrows the whole time)
his xbows kill some gobs

top toll capt heroic charges blackshields (cause sarumans unit was weak, and i had a almost full str unit of blackshields)
sharkus guys charge beserkers
dragon flies a long way and attacks troll capt (this is where he knew his was doomed, which left his phalax doing nothing)
troll, gobs, wargs charge xbows

troll uses sarumans might to call a heroic duel, he didnt know khamul had epic strike so i killed him
dragon eats the left troll capt
sharkus guys eat the beserkers
the xbows lose combat by a long shot and flee

(this actually finished on turn 4 but this is all that really happened)

so when we finished all he had was the 2c scouts in the forest on the left, saruman's unit in the forest on top, rightish side (didnt really get to do anything), and the phanlax
I had the dragon, both trolls, the now 4.1c goblins with shields, 2c arhers in objective, sharkus guys, 4c wargs, blackshields down to 6.2c

i get a massacre result (im overjoyed as it was my first game ever, and i had only had the rule book for 6 days)

things i learned:
lurtz's assasins shot is really dangerous (but never actually hurt me, just got my attention)
magic is a dominant force in wotr (the dragon w/ dark fury kills with most of its hits)
the dragon is freeking amazing, flying, magic everywhere, kills everything, his fireball (shooting) is so great when combined with his spells, kills so much and you never touch them
cavalry charges are great combined with the prowlers rule :D
beserkers are super dangerous if they get into the right postion
trolls are terrible at fighting other trolls
cave trolls are not that dangerous, dont dish out a whole lot of pain..., but its still worth having some the high str and attacking first (i learn more about trolls in game 3)

Games 2 and 3 coming up tomorrow
 Post subject: Re: tourny 1500pts, Misty mountains overview (wotr)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:21 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Game 2 was against someone I had breifly met before, david, a 60ish yo

(incase i havnt said this, khamul was in the blackshields the whole game)

The set up was Seize the prize and battle for the pass

his army:
Saruman,
lurtz
the knight of umbar

5c uruks w/ shields
4c scouts w/ captain
1c wild men
3c scouts w/ bows
1 itroll (call it itroll for isendgard troll... so i dont get it mixed up w/ mine)
1 itroll capt
4c morgul knights(they never did anything, just sat in the back)

the objectives were: 2 semi close to his side, 1 in the middle, 2 close to my side

deployment
I deployed my 4c archers right behind a forest on the leftish side that an objective was in
3c arhers behind a hill on the right ish side, objective was on the hill
blackshields middle
6c gobs w/ durburz right of the hill
troll btwn gobs w/ sh and the hill
troll, sharkus guys, and wargs on the left side (in that order from left to right)
and dragon was behind the 6c gobs
His deployment(from my angle)
5c uruks middle w/ saruman and lurtz
wild men left of 5c uruks
scouts w/ bows far left
itroll behind scouts w/ bows
4c scouts far right
knights behind 5c uruks (about 8'' behind)
itroll capt rightish behind 5c uruks

movement (i let him go first)
he moves 5c uruks and 4c scouts at the double straight ahead, scouts get objective
wild men move forward and get objective
everything else just moves forward
Me
6c gobs move forward (should of moved at the double)
troll on the right moves foward
blackshields move at the double and get objective in the middle (knight of umbar kills 6 uruks and str from corruption on himself)
both archer formations move forward and get objective (4c in forest, 3c on hill)
troll, sharkus guys, wargs move forward
and the dragon moves forward at the double and get dark fury, shatters the 4c scout's shields permanently, and kills 7 of them w/ tremor

shooting
3c archers on hill kill 3 scouts w/ no more shields
his scouts hit 4 blackshields, but khamuls ability reflects one to 5c uruks

charges
dragon charges 4c scouts
(5c uruks and my blackshields fail to charge each other because we both rolled to low)

in the fight phase the dragon kills ALOT of scouts,

turn 2
Me
dragon's magic kills lots of scouts (1.1c remaining)
troll, sharkus guys move forward,
wargs move forward and then right to threaten 5c uruks flank
khamul kills more uruks and enfeebles them (didnt get to do black dart this or last turn cause of failed focus rolls)
black shields move a bit closer to the 5c uruks
6c gobs move forward
right troll moves forward
Him
the knight of umbar moves to the 5c uruks and tries to blackdart khamul, but does nothing
Saruman shatters the blackshields shields, and kills more goblins, and counters enfeeble on his formation (formation doesnt move)
scouts w/ bows make room for troll to move by

shooting
3c archers kill 2 uruks from the 5c uruk formation
his 3c scouts kill 1 warg
lurtz assasin shots khamul

charging
(5c uruks and my blackshields fail to charge each other again (he rolls two 1s for charge, and saruman stopped me))
dragon charges the scouts
sharkus guys gets and unstopable charge into the scouts w/ bows :D
troll on the left charges the itroll
wargs fail to charge the 5c uruks

the dragon decimates the scouts and takes the objective
sharku's guys kill 14 scouts, and only lose 1 in return
the troll fight was ridiculous, he fails the courage check, and doesnt hurt me, (my cave trolls seem to be invulnerable to other trolls, even if they are much bigger :P ), while my troll puts 2 wound counters on the itroll XD

turn 3
My move
dragon moves to threaten the 5c uruks
6c goblins move forward
troll on right moves forward
khamul does nothing but kill a few uruks
sharkus guys line up against the scouts again
wargs move very close to 5c uruks flank
3c archers move forward (were out of range)
His move
SARUMAN!!! epic ruination... and the fact that i had a bunch of stuff around his formation of 5c uruks(he had been reviving them throughout the game). then proceeds to cast tremor on.... the blackshields, the wargs, sharkus guys, the dragon and his 1c wildmen!! it kill 5 goblins, 2 wargs, 2 of sharku's hunters, 1 wound on the dragon and 3 of the wildmen (this is where i learn just how good tremor can be.... and i have a dragon that can move at the double and fly and has spells of ruin at mastery of 3.... hmm), and i cant remember what else he did
then the knight of umbar blackdarted khamul.... thankfully he failed focus so i was saved from the rest of his magic
the troll capt moved towards the dragon
everything just slightly rearanges

his shooting does nothing to sharkus raiders

he calls a heroic charge with saruman, charging the wargs so they dont destroy his 5c uruks
I then fail to charge the 5c uruks with the blackshields and the dragon
sharkus guys charge the scouts
the trolls duel again
his itroll capt charges the dragon

in the fight phase:
the 5c uruks only kill 2 wargs!! (he only got 1c in contact with them)
the itroll puts 2 wounds on the dragon, but the dragon puts 2 wounds on him
the trolls do nothing to each other
sharku's raiders kill off the scouts

turn 4 didnt really happen cause we had only enough time for that last turn, i got priority and did what goblins do naturally - run away from anything scary, the dragon called a heroic move and so ran a long, long long long.... long long way away. then the blackshields ran away... and well anything that had an objective (i had 4 of them) ran while everything else blocked them, so we called it a game there

the final result was me with 4 objectives and him with 1

and so my second game was also a massacre result

things to note: so far, nobody dares to touch the blackshields because of khamuls ability, but once hes gone then they dont hold back, BUT them and the 6c goblins never got into combat (even though the blackshields and the 5c uruks were staring at each other the whole time)

things i learned:
saruman is REALLY good, as he did so much damage in various ways
blackdart drains might
I need to use heroic actions more, expecialy with durburz as he has overlord (could of had the blackshields call a heroic move at the last turn to make sure there was no way they would be touched)
I need to get some banners (well drums are what goblins get, but they dont come cheap....)

game 3 tomorrow (this was the game where I learn a few hints and tricks from my opponent)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Looking very good so far. Lol, sharku the rebel :P

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:18 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ok so i finally found some time to write game 3

So first off, its another isengard player (almost half of the ppl played isengard). although, he did also play goblins, haradrim, ummm everything (including some 40k armies and fantasy... along with all the other minorites....)

the games was field of swords and shieldwalls

his list was something like this:

saruman (cant remember if he had lurtz)
khamul the easterling
thrydan wolfsbane (R3, epic strike, inspiring leader men, 50PTS!!?!?!?!!)
4c uruks, banner (saruman and khamul in here)
4c uruks, banner
4curuks, banner (thrydan in here)
3c xbows
3 isengard troll capt.... (everyone seems to love these guys....)

he deployed first like this (from my pt of view)
thrydans f._troll_xbows_troll_saruman's/khamul's f_troll_uruks _ is a small gap btwn them... it was a pretty good shieldwall, (his army was closer to the right side than the left)
thrudan's guys are kinda behind a forest(their a bit to the left of it), the regular uruks are behind a hill

My deployment
dragon_wargs_____4c bows_troll_blackshields(khamul)_gobs(durburz)_troll_3c arhers______sharkus guys

the 4c arhers are directly behind a hill, the 3c archers are directly behind a forest

as soon as i saw his deployment i know that it was not going to be easy, as there were no weak pts in his army or deployent.... (the first 2 ppl had some pretty big weak pts)

so he goes first and as soon as he makes a few moves i know that im going to lose
His Movement
He moves the left and middle trolls at the double towards durburz (the troll on the right moves toward them but fails at the double)(this where i knew i was going to lose, cause i couldnt move my 6c gobs forward, so if i was to move the blackshields forward then they would get flanked, so i couldnt move or attack with my 2 main formations....)
then he moves saruman/khamul up close to them (a bit at an angle - facing the blackshields), then proceeds to bombard me with magic, shatters shields, kills goblins...
then moves thrydans formation back, so that a front corner is touching the xbows and the other the board edge (so the dragon and wargs cant flank)
and the regular uruks move forward

Me
So im in a real pickle, if i move my blackshileds forward, they will get flanked by either the xbows or sarumans formation. i cast str from corruption on the closest troll, inflicting 2 wounds, and try to stop sarumans formaion from charging but fail... so i dont move the blackshields much (just a little forward and facing saruman a little - so im not within the xbows kill zone (12''))
sharkus guys move forward
dragon moves at the double and casts tremor on thrydans formation, but then fails focus (got the dragon's spell order down now - dark fury - shatter shields - tremor/bolt of fire/ excisiccate), then moved him out of their charge range
wargs cant move at the double and so just move forward (so slow compared to the dragon)

shooting:
he kills 4 or 6 gobs from the 6c gobs (more like 4.3c now)

charging
i dont charge the dragon as im not sure he could take on thrydan and the 4c uruks
only charges is by the 2 furtherest itroll capts, both charging the once was 6c goblins

fight
i heroic duel and epic strike a troll capt with durburz, killing it, but fail to hurt the other one (the one close to the blackshields with 2 wounds). i got pummeled even more by the other troll capt.

Turn 2
His move
thrydan and xbows dont move
regular 4c uruks move forward a little
the close troll capt moves away from the blackshields a bit (but still right in front of the gobs)
the other troll cpt moves toward the archers in the forest
sarumans blasts my gobs even more and kills my troll on the right of the gobs with srt through corruption, then khamul tries to black dart durburz, i resist and roll a 3.. forgetting that it will burn my might i dont use the other might pt to make it a 4....(but it didnt hurt me, just burnt the other might pt), sarumans f doesnt move

My move
The dragon gets dark fury, then tremors, but fails focus (for shatter shields...)
the wargs move up next to the dragon
the blackshields move out a bit toward saurmans f. khamul fails all his magic and focus rolls
the troll on the left of the blackshields moves to their left front corner, so they cant get flanked (but in the death range of the xbows)
durburz runs away to the archers in the forest (after last turns fighting, and this turns magic there were 2c left)
sharkus guys get a side flank on the 4c uruks

shooting
his troll infront of the gobs chucks a rock and kills 2 gobs
the xbows kill my troll :(
sharkus guys kill 1 uruk
and my archers kill his troll infront of my gobs!

charges
his right troll fails to charge me in the forest
the dragon and wargs charge thrydans f
sharkus guys charge the uruks in the side (rolled a 5, i was thinking about using a pt of might to make it a 6, but decide not to)

fighting
sharkus guys almost kill 2c (1 guy left) and in return 2c get killed (so i should of used the might pt! those uruks hit hard, even if im on their flank!)
the dragon gets dueled by thrydan, but its a draw
the dragon kills a few uruks and the wargs dont kill much... (D7! i so needed shatter shields), i killed 1.1c and in return he kills 2c of wargs 8(

(by this time its looking pretty bleak, both trolls are dead, the dragon and wargs cant get through thrydan, sharkus guys got wolloped, my gobs got demolished, and i cant attack with the blackshields)

so turn 3
my move
durburz goes back into the gobs (1.6componies) and they run away behind the blackshields
sharkus guys move behind the uruks
the dragon gets dark fury and moves a bit to tremor thrydans f and the xbows,
the wargs move out of temor range then set up for another charge
my 4c arhers that were on the hill doing nothing move down to help the blackshields (what i should of done in the first place)
khamul tries to do something with magic, he tries to stop the xbows from shooting but fails, and then black darts saruman, but its blocked

his move
the regular uruks turn around
saruman and khamul move to thrydans f. and then blast the dragon with spells, tremor (killing a warg and causing 1 wound on the dragon, and killing 4 xbows), str from corruption (another wound on the dragon), bolt of fire (another wound on the dragon). saruman replenishes the ranks. (cant remember what else they did)
sarumans old formation moves to the left, blocking the xbows and coming infront of the blackshields and the archers

shooting
my 3c arhers in the forest fail to even cause a single hit on the troll right in front of them
sharku chucks a stick that bounces off an uruk

charges
the wargs and dragon charge thrydan/khamul/saruman and the 3c uruks
sharku charges the uruks (2 warg riders against 2.1c of uruks...)
THE BLACKSHIELDS FAIL TO CHARGE THE URUKS RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM!!! and khamul used his might to resist a spell, so i couldnt change it
his troll capt charges the gobs in the forest

fighting
the trolls kills 5 guys for not even a singe hit in return (out of shooting and fighting, 36 dice rolled, not a singe 6), and the gobs run out of the forest
the dragon and wargs kill off 10 uruks
the dragon gets hit hard but in the end only takes 4 more wounds (up to 7 now)
the wargs lose 1c
sharku kills 2 uruks before getting mutilated

we call it a game their as we were runnig out of time and it was clear that i was going to lose

(there was this guy watching the game half the time, he had the mordor battle host full of trolls, he wiped out his opponent on the 3rd or 4th turn)

what i should of done
attack immediatly with the blackshields and hope khamul doesnt die in a duel, relying on khamuls save to live and to kill the enemy (but what happens when 2 khamuls fight? they would keep reflecting....)
made sharkus guys larger (although i couldnt at the time, thats the largest i could make them) cause they died so fast
attack with the dragon much earlier and use the spell order i said above
attack with the 4c bows cause i should of known that they wouldnt of gotten to shoot (although they would have had to walk right n front of the xbows... if only khamul could of stopped them...)

if i was able to i would switch out a troll and 1c from the 4c archers for druzhag and get some drums, as i really needed them, well i would of gotten alot of thing differently, but this is about all that i had to bring anyway.

so what was left
wargs with 2-4c
dragon with 7 wounds (once you get him to 5 wounds, then he becomes very easy to wound, and so dies shortly after)
blackshields 8c
archers 4c
archers 2-3c
khamul
durburz
2c gobs

him
uruks 3c (regular)
uruks 4c (was sarumans f)
troll capt
2c uruks
all his heros
3c xbows (but were only 1-2 left in the 3rd c)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:57 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well done! Winning 2 out of 3 of your first wotr games is excellent :yay: . I wonder why there were so many Isengard players. It's not that competitive.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

the last guy won the tourny, and when i was playing him i found out that he had SO MANY ARMIES. he had 7!! mumuks, a far east army to go with that, misty mountains, umm just about every army. and he also plays warhammer, 40k, and all those other games.... so if he knew that there was going to be so many isengard then he would of taken another army...

Ya, Im really happy that i won my first 2 games, although the first game was really easy, he wasnt that good as he didnt really try to get the objective, but he was THE MOST FUN GUY TO VS. ever. he won the sportsmanship award