All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:57 pm

Post subject: Scenario rules
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:48 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The Two Towers battle report a few threads down had me thinking: for the sourcebook and journeybook scenarios, is bow limit always factored in, or only when specified? I note some specify that only 33% or 50% bows are allowed, others do not. For example, for Rohan in the TT journey book, the recommended force often has Riders, which presumably are all allowed to use their bows, as the points match option specifies no limit.

My inclination is to use bow limit only when specified. Anybody have thoughts, or know of an official GW ruling?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:09 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I don't have TT journey book ready, but what I know is that 33% limit is forced unless otherwise specified.

As for Rohan, only riders with bows WYSIWYG style (or clearly designated to be clear to opponent) count towards bow limit. so for instance you can say none of my riders has a bow, even if some models physically have one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:31 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Quote:
I don't have TT journey book ready, but what I know is that 33% limit is forced unless otherwise specified.

Where does it say that? I think some of the journeybook scenarios were created for the old games and weren't changed or rebalanced when LOME came out. And why would they have scenarios that specify 33% bow limit if it's not necessary to do so because it's already a default?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

There is no 33% rule for scenarios unless stated in 'other forces' list, all models have and can use the equipment listed, the Harad scenarios even allow 50% bows for the Haradrim!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:44 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think you just have to look at the scenario's what the bow limit is, and if it doesn't specify, look at the official rulebook, and talk with your opponent about it.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:17 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

hithero wrote:
There is no 33% rule for scenarios unless stated in 'other forces' list, all models have and can use the equipment listed, the Harad scenarios even allow 50% bows for the Haradrim!

Thanks, that's what I was hoping.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:47 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I thought LoME overrides older versions, guess I was wrong about scenarios. thanks for correcting me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:15 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

My only gripe with the bow limit rule is that many troops have the bows cost already included in their points value, but then you can't use it, due to bow limit.
Example a force of Riders of Rohan. Each rider has "paid" for his bow in his points profile, yet only a third of this army is allowed to make use of them...
I think for these troops, they should either be exempt from the bow limit, or can deduct a point (for cost of bow) for each model unable to use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:30 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

jscottbowman wrote:
Example a force of Riders of Rohan. Each rider has "paid" for his bow in his points profile, yet only a third of this army is allowed to make use of them...
I think for these troops, they should either be exempt from the bow limit, or can deduct a point (for cost of bow) for each model unable to use it.

But you can take, say, 12 riders, 12 WoR w/shield, 12 WoR w/shield + throwing spear, and it works pretty well.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

whafrog wrote:
jscottbowman wrote:

But you can take, say, 12 riders, 12 WoR w/shield, 12 WoR w/shield + throwing spear, and it works pretty well.

Granted of course, but my point was lets say you wanted to replicate Eomers patrol, (as they found the 3 hunters), then only a third of this force is allowed to shoot their bows...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:17 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

jscottbowman wrote:
Granted of course, but my point was lets say you wanted to replicate Eomers patrol, (as they found the 3 hunters), then only a third of this force is allowed to shoot their bows...

To be honest.. I think that is bad luck.
You can try to convert some, but I doubt there will be any extra rules or a rule change for the RoR.

Also, RoR with bows do have their advantages, but also their disadvantages.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:29 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

imrail wrote:
jscottbowman wrote:

To be honest.. I think that is bad luck.
You can try to convert some, but I doubt there will be any extra rules or a rule change for the RoR.

Also, RoR with bows do have their advantages, but also their disadvantages.

My point really, in addition, was the fact that not only can only a third of the above force shoot with their bows, but also that the remaining 2/3rds of them have paid for their bows too (its already in their figure cost as its a default listing in their equipment). That's really what sucks.

That's why I would say it was an error to force some time types to be equipped with a bow, when their is a default, across the board, rule, limiting the use of bows...