All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:52 pm

Post subject: War of the Ring - WoTR Campaign - Rules and such
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:07 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Well, this is a campaing planned to be played with a few friends...

each one of us will take 1 army and play with it the rest of the campaign

first the map... this is the really hard part, picking up the map and dividing it in a few zones...

this is what i came up with, but i really didn't like this part

could you please help me out here???

well next i will post the rules
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:36 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

By any Chance have you got Lord of the Rings, Battle for Middle Earth? It's got a Game-Map of the LotR map, which might come in handy for Campaigns. Can't get an image of it on here, but it's pretty handy.

[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:28 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

i don't have it... but i'll try to get the image...

today i'll post most of the rules, for some critics
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It looks good. I'm looking forward to seeing the rules! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:01 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

well... found a new map... from the war of the ring boardgame... it is already divided, but i'm still looking for a bigger version, probably i'll just go ahead and buy the boardgame!

here it is:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:37 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

now for the rules:
first of all remember, this is for a campaing, not a tournament, so the really important part is for everyone to enjoy themselves

this are very simple rules...

- general rules, each player starts with 1 army from 1 faction
- there may be more than 1 player per nationality (eg. 2 rohan players are accepted)
- each army can have 1 hero that costs more than 150pts or 2 heroes that cost less than 150pts each
- if there are 2 players with the same nationality, they cannot have both the same heroes (eg. only one boromir in the campaign, only 1 galadriel, even if they are in their different forms)
- armies will start at 1000 pts with no legendary formations
- legendary formations may be drafted using fame points (will be explained later), this is the only way one can use more than said number of heroes, and they cannot leave their units) - (legendary formation do not count towards the point limit, altough your heroes do)
- for each battle won, you win 3 fame points, if you draw you win 1 fame point, if you loose, that you will deduct 2 fame points from your fame pool
- legendary formations can be summoned by exchanging fame points, for each 6 points you may try to aquire 1 legendary formation, you roll 1 dice and on a 5+ you choose the legendary formation of your choice, the formation comes with the maximum companies, for each aditional fame point you spend the roll will be easier so it will deduct one point on the dice (eg. you spend 8 fame points, the legen. company will arrive at a roll of 3+)
- if you have 10 available fame points, 1 legendary formation arrives automatically.
- if the legen. company does not arrive, the fame is spent and you have to won more battles
- if you lose 1 battle you also gain 1 dishonor counter, this will make you test all your legendary companies, on a roll of 5+ the company goes away to fight amongst more deserving battlebrothers
- for each dishonor counter you have, the easier it is to lose a legendary company, so it accumulates, if you have 2 counters you roll a 4+ and so on
- if you win a battle you get rid of all the dishonor counters

map rules:
- there are 3 type of actions - fortify, move, forced march
- each army can move 1 space per turn
- if the army calls a fortify, it it clashes in battle, it will battle with 30% more troops than it was permited
- if the army calls a forced march, it may move up to 2 spaces but it will have a 30% deduction from the troop allowance (legendary formation do not count towards the point limit, altough your heroes do)
- for each army on an adjacent space from your army you get allies in the form of 300 pts of troops from the said nationality - this is the only way you may have allies)

i'll post the objectives later... i still have to re-think the campaing objectives - like the game of risk

critics would be very helpful now

cheers
Pedro
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sounds good, although maybe if you win it should remove 3 honour counters, if you draw you either lose one or have no effect and if you lose, then you gain one?

The main thing is though: there is no attack move ;)

I have a question though: will armies be able to expand and do lost models stay lost until rebought or will it always be 1,000 points +/-300?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:58 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

that is an excellent question... that i still don't really know how to improve...

my thought was to roll a dice on each company that is lost, on a 5+ or maybe a 4+ that company is lost... if not it reappears in the next game (thus a 5 company formation could from 1 battle to the other end up with only 3 companies)

now the tricky part would be buying new companies... i don't know, and i'm working on this rules for a while now, how to work the income... i have to get some formula that allows one not to get too battered from 1 battle to next battle... probably you get to spend the same amount of points you won on the last game... i really haven't come up with an idea i like

as for the attack move... you get to battle when 1 army goes into a space that is occupied by another army
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

What happens when you lose a battle?

By the way, have you played Battle for Middle Earth? There's a map campaign (incidentally called War of the Ring) that works pretty well. I'll try to explain it if you want...