All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:26 am

Post subject: Ruin of Arnor Campaign, Help Needed.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:53 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So I was thinking some time down the road I might run a Ruin of Arnor campaign. Now, sadly, I did not get into this hobby until well after the old supplements sold out, so I do not have access to the old Fall of Arnor supplement. Despite that, I have been reading up on the Fall or Arnor and the Angmar War quite a bit, and am trying to devise rules of a campaign, tournament, or escalation league themed around the old kingdom's demise. So far as I know, the following armies fought in the Angmar War.

Evil:
-Angmar and Gundabad, lead by the Witch King
-Men of Carn Dum (Dunlendings for game purposes?)
-Hill-men of Rhudaur (Same as above?)

Good:
-Arnor, lead by Arvedui
-The Shire (How would they fit, game wise?)
-Gondor, lead by Earnur
-Rivindell, lead by Glorfindel
-Lindon, lead by Cirdan

The problem I am running into is that there is not much information, that I can find anyways, on the battles, or the armies present. That, and I am attempting to balance the forces and the units they can take, while still keeping it in line with what units each army would have fielded back then. Can anyone help me with that? Do you think there will be any force organization shuffling that will need to be done? And can anyone help me maybe devise some special missions or battles that correspond to those talked about in Tolkien lore?
 Post subject: Re: Ruin of Arnor Campaign, Help Needed.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Your best bet would be to purchase the Ruin of Arnor Sourcebook off ebay, I see it listed all the time there and usually for a ok price

Another option for information gathering is Wikipedia. There's a ton of LOTR/Hobbit/all things Tolkien there...just enter Arnor in the search box, or Angmar, or Witch-King, etc

good luck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:13 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ja33 wrote:
Your best bet would be to purchase the Ruin of Arnor Sourcebook off ebay, I see it listed all the time there and usually for a ok price

Another option for information gathering is Wikipedia. There's a ton of LOTR/Hobbit/all things Tolkien there...just enter Arnor in the search box, or Angmar, or Witch-King, etc

good luck

Eh...I am not so trusting of Ebay, so I am not so inclined to go purchase off of there at this time. And as to research, that's what I have been doing, and lots of. However, there isn't a ton on the Angmar War. What I am more looking for now is help in making up rules and missions for the campaign and balanced unit choices between armies.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

If you search for The Ruin of Arnor there used to be a copy of it hosted on a website that you could look at. Copyrights being what they are, I'm not sure how this is legal, but it might be an option, though not what I would recommend. That sourcebook is one of my favorites, so I would highly recommend buying it it if you can.

What I have done for an Angmar army, is substitute Dunlending Warriors (the armored ones) for Men of Carn Dum, and use Wildmen of Dunland as Hillmen of Rhudaur.

There was mention of a company of Shire archers at the siege of Fornost who were never heard from again. Seeing as the Shire has no generic captains, my group solved it by using Pipin, Esquire of Gondor's statline for a generic Captain of the Shire Muster and simply adding him and hobbit archers to the Arnor army list.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:15 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The ruin of Arnor campaign from the source book was pretty weak in my opinion. It had about 5 scenarios that were set during the fall of the last northern kingdom. The terror of Arnor, a big metal bat looking thing, was heavily used in most of the scenarios. Its was The terror of arnor curb-stomping some arnor guys then ghost trying to kill the king as Fornost fell, then the kings flight into the north. It rapped up with a throw down between Gondor, the elves, what was left of Arnor and the witch king.

Battle for middle earth 2 had a rise of the witch king expansion were you played as Angmar during its rise. I would say read the wiki on that or watch a lets play if you what some ideas.

A question you'd have to answer is how long of a campaign do you want? Because the fall of Arnor proper takes a long time and has a lot of stuff in it that was never really explored by GW in terms of models. You have Dunland to proxy for Carn Dum but you could also have lake town or Dale proxy for other parts of Arnor as the war went on or just to give the force some color on there own.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:24 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey demonforge, where are you located? I might have a spare copy.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:57 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Wan Shi Tong wrote:
The ruin of Arnor campaign from the source book was pretty weak in my opinion. It had about 5 scenarios that were set during the fall of the last northern kingdom. The terror of Arnor, a big metal bat looking thing, was heavily used in most of the scenarios. Its was The terror of arnor curb-stomping some arnor guys then ghost trying to kill the king as Fornost fell, then the kings flight into the north. It rapped up with a throw down between Gondor, the elves, what was left of Arnor and the witch king.

Battle for middle earth 2 had a rise of the witch king expansion were you played as Angmar during its rise. I would say read the wiki on that or watch a lets play if you what some ideas.

A question you'd have to answer is how long of a campaign do you want? Because the fall of Arnor proper takes a long time and has a lot of stuff in it that was never really explored by GW in terms of models. You have Dunland to proxy for Carn Dum but you could also have lake town or Dale proxy for other parts of Arnor as the war went on or just to give the force some color on there own.

Thanks. I did as you said and watched the whole play-through of Rise of the Witch King. It was great. Have a ton of ideas. Especially for the expansion of my Angmar army, but also for missions for the campaign.

As for the length of the campaign...I am not sure. I am still discussing it with people in my locals, and we all know it'll be far off before we can even do this sort of thing.

As for the proxy of Dale and Laketown, I like that idea. Might give more breath to the forces of Good as well, as opposed to the super-small army lists they get right now (Gondor has the greatest breath of options...).

Also did a bit more research and found out the Dwarves of Moria also sent some warriors to the battle of Fornost.

thekingofkings wrote:
Hey demonforge, where are you located? I might have a spare copy.

I'm located in the DMV area.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:20 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm located in the DMV area.[/quote] not sure what that means...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:26 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ahhh, woops, sorry. Bit of ignorance on my part. I am located near Washinton, DC, USA.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:46 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

makes sense, did you want to borrow a copy for a while?