All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:01 am

Post subject: Polystyrene, foamboard etc in south west England
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:37 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey
I live in the south west of England and I can't find anywhere that sells foamboard or polystyrene. I've made a few rocks from a piece I found at school, but now that's run out I don't know where to get some more. This is not limited to polystyrene and foamboard, any materials that are useful, mainly for making scenery that would be great. If anyone could help with stores or online shopping, I would be very grateful.
Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Polystyrene, foamboard etc in south west England
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:20 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I don't live in England, but check the hardware and contractor's stores. You can also try contacting the suppliers directly. Also, don't forget that the pieces that come in Ikea furniture (which is invading the world faster than Abba did) and your electronics are great for forms, especially if your cover them with shaper sheet or plaster cloth. Even a plaster of paris alternative of white glue and cheesecloth works well. Yes, they shed little beads if you cut them, but sheet polystyrene gets full of static and sticks to everything as well.

If you want polystyrene sheets for shields and buildings, those are available through model train shops and suppliers. It may not hurt to pay these guys a visit, they often use polystyrene for terrain and there are all kinds of treasures to be bought at a train shop.

Post subject: Re: Polystyrene, foamboard etc in south west England
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:21 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello,

Not in England either, but close enough. B&Q, Homebase etc. would sell polystyrene, if what you mean by polystyrene as the packaging material and not modelling styrene. You'd find it among the insulation materials.

As for foamboard or foam core board, it would be available in A2 sizes in most art and hobby shops. However, it melts when you paint it with a rattlecan. A much stronger and resistant material is foam PVC (Foamex, Palight, Palfoam) but you'd need cutting tools like a jigsaw, table saw etc. It is available in various thicknesses, handy for buildings e.g. 5mm structure then windows and blocks in 1mm etc.