All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:02 pm

Post subject: Which paint should I buy in future?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hi everyone,

I re-started this hobby after two or three years. I still own and use the old GW paints. However, some of them are almost empty or dry, so I need some new paints. My question are: Should I buy the new GW paints or use the chance to slowly change the brand?
If I change to an other brand, which one do you recommend?
Is there any problem when using paints from different brands together?
Is there any reason for buying GW paints? Because they are more expensive for less paint inside.

Thank you for your help.

Post subject: Re: Which paint should I buy in future?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:53 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

How to answer this ?not easy
First budget, I presume you a re looking at a slow turn around.
Do you want individual paints or sets ?
Scale 75 do some fantastic stuff, regarded as probably the best paints around. I own a few of their sets and love them. Metals and inks are superior to anything else.
I also have a ton of Vallejo, again excellent paints and fairly cheap for individual pots.
GW have their place too but I hardly own any of the new stuff so can't comment.
Army painter also do great paints, some vibrant colours.

Check my blog for reviews I have done on Army Painter and acale 75

My advice - be careful not to over spend. Go for basic colours and mix to make others.
Buy Vallejo Ivory to use as a white. When thinned it doesn't break up like others and the colour difference is negligible.
Think of what you want to paint and start a palette around that, you paints will slowly grow.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:32 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm a returner to painting too, As for sticking with GW , they are more expensive and prob the easiest to get hold of. They are also overall of decent quality. They are designed to allow you to get decent results without a geat deal of effect. I think the GW base paints are worth getting whatever you level of skill. Just for their usefulness. There are't like the old GW foundation paints, being nice to handle, go on well and save you the greif of multiple coats with other shades . I do like GW washes but do use army strong and dark tones washes, when I need a different effect , or when the effect they give will be as close as to make no difference to the GW ones (being alot cheaper). . The coat 'd arm paints are the old GW paint, being made still by the originally uk firm, before GW tried French and chinese factories. Army painter was set up by ex gw staff and their paints are decent enough, and there combined basecoat /primers with colour matched bottle paints , have repeatedly saved alot of time. As for mixing different paint brands I regularly do without any problem.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:13 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm a fan of coat d arms and vallejo.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:40 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thank you for your answers. Am I right?: Scale 75 paints can only be bought in sets and Vallejo paints can be bought separately?
Does Scale 75 have an own website? I didn't find it.
I think that there is no reason for buying the new GW paints, because they aren't better than others but more expensive, right?

I think that I will try out one Scale 75 set and some Vallejos. I am painting my Erebor army at the moment, so which set would be the best? I thought about wood & leather or flesh.

If coat d' arms is similar to the old GW paints, I think I don't need to test them until I am unhappy with Vallejo and Scale 75.

Is there a chart for the comparison of different paints from different brands, similar to the chart of old and new GW paints?
I am looking for a paint like Bleached bone, which paint from which brand should I use?

One problem is buying the paints. GW and Vallejo are available in a store close to me but I don't know if the other brands are there, too (I have to check it). I hope that I can find an online store with quick delivery to Germany.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:08 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Model Display Products UK and selling Scale 75 paints seperately. I'm sure others will be but these are the first ive seen.
Vallego can be bought in sets or seperately.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:10 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Azog did a chart on the sticky section of painting techniques etc thread.

viewtopic.php?f=100&t=25724

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:24 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:09 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Well my experience is that i have changed to Vallejo and Army Painter away from GW, i used to love GW but a few years ago they changed the formulas and i did not like them, not enough pigment IMO. Still have a lot of the old GW paints as they do last a long time but all the new GW paint i bought i gave away.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:27 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think that I will do the same. However, can anyone explain the difference between the different brands? I went through some reviews and learned that the other brands are quite good, but I didn't find out what makes them better than others.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:31 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

In the end its mainly down to personal preference and painting style. I like the current GW range, but use army painter washes esp their strong tome, which is pretty much a clone of the old Devland mud wash, which again is different to the current gw dirty wash agrax. use the reviews on tou tube and elsewhere to help, but in the end until up use the paint , you wont know what suits you.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:34 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

HI paints i use are Vallego, GW,Army painter,all are good, Vallego cheaper as for a paint comparison there is a very good one on the DAKKADAKKA web site go to articles type in paint chart and it is the first one on list

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I use a mixture of stuff I tend toward Vallego but they are not as easy to get hold of and gw paints are available in several shops close to me. I use army painter strong tone in dropper bottle for washing.

http://journeyofthering.wordpress.com
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:21 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Can you tell me if there is any difference between different brands? I found an online shop for the paints and a store (more or less) close to me is selling Vallejo, so there is no problem.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:22 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Badner wrote:
Can you tell me if there is any difference between different brands? I found an online shop for the paints and a store (more or less) close to me is selling Vallejo, so there is no problem.

Vallego are good quality Spanish paints. I have loads of them and find the fantastic. Just remember to shake that bottle well. They do have excellent metallics.
Scale 75 have very fine pigments that respnd great to thinning. They have a translucent quality to them that is perfect for glazing. So if your not good with blending then avoid them. Get your skills up before buying them.
Like I've said with GW, the older paints were great, heavy pigments, but I do not own the new paints. I have not heard great reports on them so I have avoided them.
I have also had word of a new paint that could be on the market in the coming weeks, maybe months. I will keep you posted but hopefully I will be getting a test batch to review on my blog. The good news with these is the guy whose creating them is looking at retailing at £1 a bottle !!!
I will keep everyone posted as I liaise with the bloke in charge.