All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:47 pm

Post subject: Best Brushes
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hello,

I am in the market for some new brushes (particularly for painting fine details such as eyes) and was wondering if anybody had any recommendations. I'm on a budget, so nothing too extravagant, but I would like a quality product. Curious to hear what brushes people around here use - are the ones on games workshop's website any good?

Thanks,

Frogmorton

Post subject: Re: Best Brushes
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I buy brushes that are available locally.. only because I want to see the product I buy.

There are heaps of suppliers otherwise that can be relied upon I'm sure.

I like the FRANCHIVILLE Taklon brushes from Sri Lanka.

There cheap and they last reasonably well.
Being synthetic when there stuffed and hook ended they make great dry brushes when you cut the tips off.

I find them in our SPOTLIGHT stores here in NZ. That haberdashery chain store.

For eyes I try to paint them first using the layer over method which means you don't need a thin brush. And you don't get the big bug eyed look.

You first paint a black line centrally painting over the skin is ok.
Then two coloured stripes each side(which is optional)
Then two whites each side.
Then paint dark flesh accross over the top up to the eye brow
Then paint a lighter flesh accross under the eye.
Then paint the rest of the face as normal.

You don't need a super fine brush for this and the results look good.

Sometimes I use gell pens to do this.

This is similar https://www.reapermini.com/TheCraft/12

Kinda like this one http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/456165.page?userfilterid=23897

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:23 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Windsor Newton Series 7 Miniature brush. Best brush ever. I've been using the same one for 3 years. And I paint a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:13 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I had a Series 7 brush, purchased in 2010, kept me going till...I want to say 2012. Got a set of 000,00 and 0 brushes this summer and they're already being a bit fiddly.

However, the quality is such that I might try and get some brush cleaner/restorer and see if that'll help.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:51 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I've tried others but gone back to W&N Series 7 as they have proven the best.
I use sizes 0 and 1. I think the 1 is under used by many, it has plenty of hairs to hold the paint and yet a sharp point. I have used it on surprisingly detailed work, though the size 0 is ideal for very tiny work like pupils, yet can still comfortably used for glazing areas like the size of a thigh.
A brush cleaner is essential, I'm using Master Artist Brush Cleaner.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:31 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I'm using W&N Series 7 too. I bought 0, 1 and 2 at 2008 and they are still sharp as new. Before that I had to replace my synthetic brushes every year, so I actually saved money by buying more expensive brushes.

Pro Arte was not bad either. I liked their short bristles and shaped handle, but they did not stay sharp as long as W&N.

-- Pasi
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:25 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I use rosemary and co brushes. I have used series 7 in the past but these are just as good and much cheaper. I go for the 401 series brushes.

http://www.rosemaryandco.com/acrylic-br ... le-mixture

http://journeyofthering.wordpress.com
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:39 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

redeaston wrote:
I use rosemary and co brushes. I have used series 7 in the past but these are just as good and much cheaper. I go for the 401 series brushes.

http://www.rosemaryandco.com/acrylic-br ... le-mixture

Love Rosemary & Co brushes, i have been using series 33 pure sable, will have to try 401 next time i order. great brushes and really fast delivery, competative prices too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:03 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I use Games Workshop brushes because I'm lazy :-)

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I use Raphael 8404's. I bought a 1 and 0 and they have held up perfectly so far. I got them off secret weapon miniatures: http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/i ... cfa57ac75c

He has an article comparing W&N series 7 to Raphael 8404, and it convinced me as I previously had a very fine fine detail brush and the paint dried way to fast on the bristles. I figured that having the larger reservoir while keeping the fine point was a good thing.

Article: http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/i ... =page&id=7

I have researched brushes a lot, and W&N series 7, Raphael 8404, and rosemary brushes ar ehte three main brands that people recommend. GW fine detail are also okay, though most good painters go elsewhere (DMS excluded, but then again he's special :P ).
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I use a mixture of two different brands.

For basecoats, drybrushing and general painting I prefer ProArte's Miniature Painting Brushes, size 0 or 00. They're fairly cheap and last forever in near-perfect condition (last one I bought was £1.50 and has lasted me almost four years now). I believe they are difficult to come across, although I haven't looked online, but when I've popped into various art and hobby shops throughout my region (South East of England) I've only ever seen them in one shop which has since closed down, so I'll need to look online for replacements from now on.

For detailed work, edge-highlighting, freehand, etc., I devote myself to the Winsor & Newton 'Cotman' range for watercolour painting. If you look after them, following the basics of brushcare, then they remain in literally perfect condition - the three I use are all size 00 and have lasted nearly six years now, they still look brand new aside from staining on the wooden stem. I have also used size 000, but found that they were much less durable - I barely used this size but when I have the brush only lasts about a year before the bristles begin to buckle or disintegrate, despite caring for them in exactly the same way as my size 00s. Since about 2012 I've relied solely on size 00s from the Winsor & Newton 'Cotman' range. From memory, I payed something like £3 for each brush, but like I said, they last for an eternity so it's worth it.

Finally, it's always good to have a 'crappy' brush lying around for basing, drybrushing large areas, or general wear-and-tear that would destroy good quality brushes in an instance. I use Winsor & Newton's student quality 'Fine' range. In my local hobby shop I get six brushes in a pack, (sizes 1 x2, 2 x2, 3 and 4), and this costs about £5. They don't last long in perfect condition, but that's because I don't look after them. But they do the job I need them to do, slapping sand and PVA glue onto bases, or drybrushing frantically. They're bound to get damaged for this purpose.

I've got a decade and more's hobby experience so I've had my fair share of brush calamities and successes. Hope this helps. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:09 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Gw brushes are a good midlevel brush. Army painter and reaper also make good mid level brushes.

Winsor newton series 7 is great
Da vinci maestro (series 10) is superb, this is what i use.
Scharff series 3000 another great brush (this is next on my list)

In the end, you're looking for a brush that is made from kolinsky sable. If you can, get kolinksky sable from the tail of a male's winter coat (yes, some are that specific).

You want a size 2, 1, 0, 00, and a 000. These are the most common sizes used among painters.

I also recommend a dry brush. There are lots of people who recommend just using an old beat brush as a dry brush. This works, and it is inexpensive as you already own the brush. However, having used an old brush and an actual dry brush, I prefer the dry brush. Gw makes dry brushes, but I prefer Army painter's dry brush line as the brush's bristles are angled.

The big difference between the gw brushes and the "high end" brushes (at least for me) has been the belly. When I use my gw brushes, I have to reload the brush after about 5 strokes. When I use my da vinci brush, I reload after 20ish strokes. There is no belly in the gw brush line whereas the high end brushes have a wonderful belly and a fantastic point. Other than that, As long as you care for your brush, you will get great wear from it.

I dont recommend synthetics. They hook and wear out too fast. However, others swear by them. Pick your poison.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:27 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I've never heard of Da Vinci Maestro, I will consider these when I want a new brush.
I like the idea of the Army Painter dry brushes, I am currently using cheap dry brushes which are doing the trick but I'm up for trying something new.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:45 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I use series 33 (I think!) Rosemary and co brushes. I get about 8 different sizes from 10/0 to 4 which cost just over £30

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:55 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Dezartfox wrote:
I use series 33 (I think!) Rosemary and co brushes. I get about 8 different sizes from 10/0 to 4 which cost just over £30

Series 33 are the kolinksy sable brushes and the best ones to get in my opinion.

For my last order rosemary and co were not shipping to America due to the import restrictions so I picked from various series. The triangular handle brushes are to be avoided. I bought three of different sizes and they all forked once I started using them. Not sure why this was the case as the other red sable brushes are pretty good. The surprise was the size 4 squirrel hair. This brush has little to no snap and yet I'm finding myself using it more and more. The large size makes basecoating, glazing and washing a breeze and the bristles are hardier than sable and suffer no ill effects from my aggressive style.

The revamped website has no mention of any restrictions so hopefully this means I can buy my favoured series 33 next time.