All times are UTC

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 12:23 pm

Post subject: Need beginner advice.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:21 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

So I do have a thread in the beginner forum about restarting my LOTR journey, but am seeking painting tips for my first new models that I will be purchasing tomorrow. I have quite a few older models but have never really been successful at the hobby aspect. Tomorrow, I will be purchasing a set of dwarf rangers that i would like to be the first trial of models with a new commitment to the hobby. If we assume I am new to every aspect of painting, basing, converting etc.

Does anyone have any tips? I am trying to read up on basic techniques but any advice would be appreciated.

Also, what should I buy? Though I have no gripe with GW, I can't afford to buy strictly their product. I will be purchasing a majority of my equipment at a local Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc.

Which colors should I grab for my dwarfs? Preferably versatile colors, however I am looking to add a splash of blue, green, red or yellow to various part os my entire dwarf army just to relay a central theme.

In regards to basing, any thoughts?
 Post subject: Re: Need beginner advice.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:46 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Great! A question I can really give advice on as I shop at the same stores lol.

As to paint-brushes, I always buy mine at Michaels. If you buy their Acrylic brushes they will work quite well. I'd recommend at least the "professional" level of brushes, they're very good and cheap compared to GW brushes.

As to paint colors I only use GW because I like them and have a lot of experience using them, and they are a known quantity when it comes to how well they will stay on models.

For my Dwarves I use lots of greens that are close to pine-needle type green, as you'd see on their mountain homes. Deep browns, greys and some bright blues and golds to really set them off.

If you're going for a "splash" of color you'll need good contrast so I'd recommend Evil Sunz Scarlet for a red, Flash Gitz Yellow (obviously for a yellow), Altdorf Guard Blue for your blue.

If you look for darker, more muted colors for the rest of your models (such as Dawnstone (grey), XV-88 (leather-brown), or Castellan Green) the brighter colors will really POP. Also make sure to base-coat/prime your models in black to allow for an even greater variance as your colors will be deeper and have a more realistic feel.

Hope all that helps, any other questions just ask

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:06 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

That does definitely help some. So, figure my list thus far,

Professional level brush/brushes. Anything size, detail wise I should look out for?
Dawnstone Grey
XV-88
Castellan Green
Black Primer (Any recommendations? ideally low budget?
I also assume I will need some variety of metallic paint.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:22 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

For the brush sizes I use 3/0 for detail and 18/0 for very fine detail. You'll really be able to eyeball the point fine-ness thou so just examining the bristles closely will be your biggest help there.

As to metals I'd recommend Iron-breaker for your silver and Gehenna's Gold if you want to do Gold.

For Primer any acrylic based primer should work, I've been using Krylon's basic primer which you can pickup for cheap at any Supermarket that sells paints (wal-mart etc.)

Also I would highly HIGHLY recommend picking up some "Lahmian Medium" made by GW with your paints. If you thin them in a roughly 1:1 ratio (play around with the ratios to find what you like best, I use probably a 2:3 Medium to paint mix) it will help you to get a greater range of colors and for your paints to go on smoother.

All that should run you (if you just purchase the paints you mentioned, and if the prices where you purchase fromare similar) about $30-35 USD for a few brushes, primer, 5-6 paints (including the medium, I cannot stress enough how much better that makes the paints look). Hopefully that's within your range :)

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:25 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks. I will definitely go with the medium. Any recommendations on flesh color? Also, any other essential colors?

When mixing the medium, what is the best way/place to mix it?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:37 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

CTBowes wrote:
When mixing the medium, what is the best way/place to mix it?

A painting pallet, you can also purchase them at Michaels, they keep them with their paint-brushes.

As for flesh, Ratskin Flesh mixed with Kislev Flesh is quite good. Ratskin is a little too pink/red for my liking by itself but Kislev is a little too fair for Dwarves I think.

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:06 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I think most questions have already been answered except for the basing one. I suggest you go for the "drybrushed sand" type of bases, since they give the best result with the least effort in my opinion.

After glueing on the miniatures to their bases, apply white glue (elmer's glue, wood glue) to the entire base (except for the sides of course). Then dunk the base in a container with fine grain sand (beach sand is the best for this). Leave to dry overnight and prime it together with your miniature. After painting you can glue some static grass to it.

Hope this helps!

twitter.com/CorvusMinis