All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:32 am

Post subject: New technical paints are here!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:51 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hullo!

Does anyone know anything about these new paints? are the any good? what is their structure? Does anyone have an example photo of them??

well the names suggest some things but blood for the blood god?? come on GW :lol: you could have come up with a better name than that haha

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat470003a&rootCatGameStyle=paints-tools

Post subject: Re: New technical paints are here!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:23 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm picking up Agrellan Earth in a moment to try out on some Haradhrim :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:46 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

By the way, in the section for the individual paints there are tutorial video's that'll give you a good impression.

Aggrellan Earth looks great, giving it a shot as we speak :-D :
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... od2250090a

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The top painters in the world have been slamming GW for making a 'paint by numbers' way to paint mini's and thus taking away all the years of hard work they spent perfecting how to make models look great; now some newbie can stride up and make a pretty nice mini within a couple years of working with the citadel system (arguable of course).

My opinion is that whatever makes people want to paint and make great looking miniatures to thus make them want to continue is a very good thing. I also think that these video's, even though they are advertising at the same time, are proof the GW is developing the hobbyist an trying to help people make great looking models.

I think these technical paints look really good. Even if you strive to be able to make these effects without gimmick paints, these are still good for batch painting armies... not everyone has a month to spend on a single model and not everyone is trying to win a GD trophy, but we all want nice looking armies to play with. The faster we can achieve great results the better I say. Though GW has earned some negative feedback occasionally I think this gives them a gold star for effort.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:47 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I totally agree with you. :yay:

I'm not a very good painter and I don't know anything about mixing paints. I love that fact that GW is making it easier for average hobbyist to paint a decent army. The pro painter should be glad with these paints.. It makes it harder for them to make their painting really stand out above the average painter like me. If you are a perfectionist who spends a month on one model you ought to strive for even better paint jobs .. the average paint job just moved up the scale a bit with these baby's

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Bartelomeus wrote:
By the way, in the section for the individual paints there are tutorial video's that'll give you a good impression.

Aggrellan Earth looks great, giving it a shot as we speak :-D :
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... od2250090a

nice find! give a good impression of what they do

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:07 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I saw the new GW paints at the Hobby Store. These kinds of things have been available in craft stores for years at 1/10 the cost.
I saw some interesting color effects. They reminded me of Martha Stewart's brand. They are just way more expensive. I don't use GW paint but I am glad that this new product is available for those of you who do.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:24 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I for one am glad for the additions this new citadel system has brought. And I don't see why anyone would be "upset" by them. I do spend a long time on each and every model and little tricks like what these paints offer are cool but they won't make a painter an ace.

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:18 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

So I tried Agrellan Earth and it delivers without any problems.

I like the look and that it is so darn quick and easy but the color bothers me. To resemble a desert it should be yellow like Armageddon Dust and not this slightly browner Rakarth Flesh/Dheneb Stone like tone.

I'm gonna try adding some Snakebite Leather or something and see if it'll crack the same.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:52 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Bartelomeus wrote:
So I tried Agrellan Earth and it delivers without any problems.

I like the look and that it is so darn quick and easy but the color bothers me. To resemble a desert it should be yellow like Armageddon Dust and not this slightly browner Rakarth Flesh/Dheneb Stone like tone.

I'm gonna try adding some Snakebite Leather or something and see if it'll crack the same.

Some deserts are red or even pink. That is why we have so many colors to choose from. Try it I would like to see how it turns out 8)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:19 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Bartelomeus wrote:
I'm picking up Agrellan Earth in a moment to try out on some Haradhrim :)

I second this! I've actually just started up a Haradrim force and was wondering how to go about basing them, looks like these paints have dropped in at the right time! Hoping to get a pot on Wednesday and see how it turns out :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

These look like a very solidly developed set - as it should be. I might consider using them, but I'd rather use what I have first if it makes the same result. I can understand the "pro's" being a little annoyed, but who cares, these are the things that you want to have instead of mixing 5 different paints between 5 different suppliers just to get a good result. Looking forward to someone giving some action shots on these please.

I have heard that other people have already released products like these (I'm especially interested in the blood effect), but I haven't been able to find things on the web - can anyone link them to me, particularly any Vallejo sets? Or a guide on blood effect with Vallejo.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:45 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Tamiya clear red is the best blood effect.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:50 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I totally support any and all efforts to make miniature painting less horrifying for newcomers. The number of people I've seen realise that something is unassembled and unpainted and just back out there and then is staggering. And if it makes my life easier too, then it's even better!

Highly skilled painters will ALWAYS be highly skilled painters, but for those who aren't, this is wonderful encouragement to put some effort in. Anything that reduces the number of unpainted, or just undercoated minis on battlefields is a wonderful thing. Even a poor paintjob is better than bare plastic.

I've got a good number of these due probably tomorrow, can't wait to test them out.