All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:31 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Citadel Paints Review
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:07 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

And why would you not use glazes with LOTR? I do it all the time with everything. :/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SeveredHead wrote:
In regards to the "nifty cards", I just searched the GW site to get more info, but I was unable to find any. Are they available for retail atm? I enjoy painting so the cards will definitely help.

The cards are a limited item available for free in GW stores.

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
@Dezartfox, if you put textured paint on the base, say a dark colour, could you drybrush some lighter colours over it and it actually look decent?

Yup. Had a play with this today, you can wash and drybrush the textured paint. It's tricky to get the first layer of texture right- but once you nail it it looks sweet!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:11 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

MacGothmog wrote:
And why would you not use glazes with LOTR? I do it all the time with everything. :/

Indeed, glazes are useful no matter what figures you're painting. To me they seem to be more for those going for GD quality (MacG and tidoco) than for those going for table top quality. I can see them being good for colour tinted armour on table top quality soldiers, otherwise I don't think they would be used too much for the quicker army dudes. :)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:25 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Glazes are very good for cloaks and smooth areas.

They're releasing the Medium stuff that was only available with the metal tin at xmas. You use that to make glazes of other colours.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:39 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

@Lorizael, thank you, I'm going to pick up that Dark Brown one when it comes out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:38 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I called into GW for a look at the new paints this afternoon.

I didn't get to play with everything, but my first thoughts are very positive.

The new base paints are better than the foundations, they cover about the same but are thinner. The coverage from Mephiston Red is excellent, Macragge Blue didn't seem quite as good although it was the first I tried.

The shades are very nice, not very different from the washes as far as I can tell. Although if you get a little too heavy handed they can get a little glossy (at least Drakenhof Nightshade can).

The dry is very strange and still needs quite a bit wiping off, although practice will probably help you get less on the brush.

The glazes seem nice, like a more translucent version of the shades.

I was a little disappointed with the texture, it doesn't look as good as my usual PVA and sand after 2 coats of the paint. Although it may be to do with technique.

As far as I cam tell there are 6 Lord of the Rings painting cards: Moria Goblin, Galadhrim, Wood Elf, Rohan Warrior, Uruk Scout and Minas Tirith Warrior.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Lorizael wrote:
Yup. Had a play with this today, you can wash and drybrush the textured paint. It's tricky to get the first layer of texture right- but once you nail it it looks sweet!

Any tips on how to get it right?

:puppy:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Telchar wrote:
Lorizael wrote:

Any tips on how to get it right?

I've found that you really need to dab it on and resist the urge to spread it like normal paint. Brushing it makes it go smooth and look like a layer of paint.
So you clump and dab it on in chunks- you can make it an even layer or add more in places to get variation. Once it's on then you can brush it in areas to make craters and such.
It takes foreeeever to dry but once it is it takes shade and drybrushing really well.
I think it's something that people will need to persevere at- definitely a skill to it!- but once you've got it then it'll be pretty rewarding.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:28 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I had a go with the new paints in a GW shop, the base colours are thinner but keep the one coat coverage, the new "core" range is the same in quality, in my opinion, just a lot bigger choice of colours.

I did not like the textured paint for basing, i will keep to using PVA and fine railway modelling grit as i think it gives a better result.

Its good the range of paints have been extended, but now with 14 greens its a bit to many, i will stick to just having a core range of colours and mixing my own.

I think the Vallejo metallic old gold, brass and bronze are still better but love the GW silvers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:14 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I spoke to my local GW yesterday. I bought 11 of the current paints. I wouldn't bother with differentations between bases and layers. Drybrushes on the other hand seem ok. One paint I had to buy was Shadow Grey because there's only one blue grey in the new range, the 'Fang' and I didn't know if it would be a darker or lighter one. On the whole it is a bit of a scam, but an almost well disguised one, as some of them may be ok. The textured paint should only be used on small (25mm bases) and probably not on heroes, but would be ok for rank and file infantry not recommended for large bases.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:46 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks for posting this review Dezartfox, it's most helpful :D

It's also great that they're improving the pots

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Got to see the new book thing:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... GameStyle=

Its a really good book, about as thick as the Lotr rulebook in total (that includes the fat stand cover and the DVD slot). The steps inside are very detailed and well laid out, and there's entire army projects for lots of different races/systems. The main lotr one is Gondor, with step-by-step guides at how to paint a full Gondor army.

Really good stuff and I'll definitely be picking one up :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:45 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I went into my local GW today and had a play with the new paints. I agree with everything that Lorizael says about them. Games Workshop has excelled with this idea. They have taken everything that worked well with their old paint system and added a bunch of new great ideas to it.

The number of "layer" paints (i.e. normal ones) have been expanded and so now there a broader range of hues that enable smoother blending, consistent colours, and less mixing necessary. The "shades" (washes) have all of the good ones from before and a few new ones added.

But the really interesting idea comes in the Dry Brush paints. They are almost foam-like in their consistency and pick out highlights smoothly and without the 'chalky' effect that you get sometimes. Didn't get to play with the textured paints though, so I can't comment on them.

They have a few 'technical' paints too, like the Medium (why bother when a large bottle of it from an art supply shop will last you a lifetime) and the liquid green stuff - must experiment with this a bit, filling minor gaps, doing rivets, and maybe laying welding seams along metalwork.

And of course, you don't need to re-tool your paint stations with all these colours in one hit. Just get the ones you want when you need them.

The downside is that the old names are being dropped - such stalwarts as Bestial Brown and Dark Angels Green are no linger going to be in our vocabulary. Why they did this is buried beneath a mountain of legal paperwork, but essentially (so I was told) they had no choice - apparently the copyright on the names was owned by the paint manufacturer (Cote d'Arms) and GW lost that battle.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:53 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

They've also changed the names because its entirely new paint. Imagine if they kept the names, the colours would be slightly different and the community would be furious!
Its all made in-house now, which is pretty cool. GW's aim is to produce everything in their own factory :)

Also the texture paint isn't sand mixed with paint, its some sort of microbeads. Even if you don't like the colours you can spray over it with primer and it looks really good!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:42 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Is not the reason they make their own paints rather than buying another company so that they can increase their profits without increasing the prices.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'm also looking forward...

I've seen that some foundation paints like (Tausept Ochre,Khemri Brown) have become layer paints...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:44 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
Is not the reason they make their own paints rather than buying another company so that they can increase their profits without increasing the prices.

Partially, it saves on transport costs, and reliance on another company. The supplier may have been increasing their prices also. It also gives them more control over stock/demand and as they pretty much own the delivery company across the road from the factory they've got themselves set!.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:55 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Farmer Maggot wrote:
As far as I cam tell there are 6 Lord of the Rings painting cards: Moria Goblin, Galadhrim, Wood Elf, Rohan Warrior, Uruk Scout and Minas Tirith Warrior.

I have managed to get hold of ten different painting cards for The Lord of the Rings and will post some scans of them on my website over the weekend. As they were given away free I can't see there being any harm. Here's the one for the Warrior of Minas Tirith....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:40 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

There's alos a Mordor Orc one and a Haradrim Warrior one, (though no scarlet) and a Dwarf one.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:53 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Tabletop_heroes wrote:
I have managed to get hold of ten different painting cards for The Lord of the Rings and will post some scans of them on my website over the weekend. As they were given away free I can't see there being any harm. Here's the one for the Warrior of Minas Tirith....

These are great, thanks for scanning! I hope they release them as a PDF or something.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next