All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:48 pm

Post subject: Why vellejo paint ?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:07 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Guys this has already been a topic i know, but i need to ask some questions.

Why vellejo paint over citadel.

Do you guys actualy use vellejo paints becasue it seems when reading articles in this forum, the paint names are gw.

The thing that makes vellejo interesting to me is that, you dont have to dip a brush into a pot, i hate paint mixing. For example, you use enchanted blue, wash your brush and then you dip the same brush in again and it leaves a subtle watered down blue part in ...say skull white. For most its not issue, but for me im a prefectionist when it comes to keeping every paint pure and clean( i dunno why? ). I dread that happining

This is the same with metal paints mixing in with non metal paints arghhhhh :shock: .

The price doesnt realy effect me much becasue I get gw paints for about the same price at my local indepenant store.

Also do they have a foundation range? wash range? what are they like?

thanks guys. Im just not sure wither its worth the switch to some thing i dont know that well?

Post subject: Re: Why vellejo paint ?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:13 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Vellejo paints a good because they are a little bit cheaper and they have the squirt nozzle. They are also good paints.

However, Games Workshop paints are better quality. GW paints have got to be the best miniature paints in the world.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:40 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

OK thanks dude. I didnt expect to hear anyone say that gw paints are better quality, generally a lot of people hate on gw on just about everything including paints, but yes i think they definatley could be the best paints in the world.But they could imporve. I think if you had gw quality but the skirt nozzle of vellejo then they would be perfect.

Any one else disagree agree?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:42 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

IM A ENT!!! wrote:
The thing that makes vellejo interesting to me is that, you dont have to dip a brush into a pot, i hate paint mixing. For example, you use enchanted blue, wash your brush and then you dip the same brush in again and it leaves a subtle watered down blue part in ...say skull white. For most its not issue, but for me im a prefectionist when it comes to keeping every paint pure and clean( i dunno why? ).

Use a cocktail stick to transfer the paint from GW pot to palette, so you don't have to dip your brush directly in the pot. It's not perfectionism but common sense to keep your paints clean. It's also good for your brushes because you won't accidentally dip too deep and get paint in the base of the bristles where it ruins the brush if it dries there.

My experience is that Vallejo's greens and metals are not as good as GW's, otherwise they are very similar. I usually choose my paint depending on which side of the city I am, one shop here sells Vallejo and another GW. :)

Vallejo has their own foundation range, look for "Heavy X" such as Heavy Charcoal, which is basically the same as GW's Charadon Granite. The normal paints are very similar to GW's but the foundations/heavys are a bit different coloured. They also have washes but I haven't tried them.

You don't have to switch. Buy one and if you like it start getting Vallejo when you need new paints. They mix well with GW paints so no need to switch by getting rid of your old paints. I have both, and also Vallejo's Model Colour, which is also a good paint range.

In the articles we use GW names even if the writer actually used Vallejo to paint the model. It would be confusing to mix the names and you can easily figure out which Vallejo colour matches a GW colour.

-- Pasi
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:20 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ok a cocktial stick aye.

funny you mention heavy charcoal becasue im holding that paint right now, and is the one paint i have form vellejo and thats it, hahah.

I dont like having 2 different ranges at the moment, but that might change with some thought and research

thanks for the reply

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Just in case you ever need to know what the equivalent paint from vallejo to GW ( or others ) go here http://paint4models.com/. they have a downloadable chart and an online tool as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

on the paint mixing, just press the brush on a piece of cloth every time you take it from the water pot, works for me.

:puppy:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:46 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

samoht wrote:
Vellejo paints a good because they are a little bit cheaper and they have the squirt nozzle. They are also good paints.

However, Games Workshop paints are better quality. GW paints have got to be the best miniature paints in the world.

It depends, really.

I have had some wonderful success with a lot of Vallejo paints (and according to legend at one point GW was thinking of licensing GW paints - a bunch of their other products are re-purposed things made by other people). GW metals are generally a lot better, whereas Vallejo earth tones and such are great for creating realistic results. Their greys, blues and reds are lovely. I have a specific list of Vallejos I use exclusively for things like faces, hair, Rohir cloaks, elf cloth and what have you. If my paints were not in a truck somewhere right now, I'd give you the list.

You can mix and match GW and Vallejo paints together - like adding in a bit of bleached bone to create a cloth effect. Vallejo paints tend to dry in a more "matte" or "flat" way and GW's tend toward shininess: not surprisingly - GW's stuff is designed to paint quasi sci-fi characters. The best LOTR effects are achieved by clever mixing of three or more paints (such as flat earth and bleached bone). You can get similar tones and effects from single Vallejo paint.

Not saying they are perfect. Some of their "flat" colours, such as their flat greens and so on are pretty crappy. But they are at least as good as GW for painting LOTR models.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

thanks guys, i have decided what to do now. I will have 2-3 brushes dedicated to metalics only! period.
. Metalic basecaoting
. Metalic detail brush
. Metalic drybrush.

then all other brushes for the regular paints.

so im staying with gw, just becasue I love their paints and havent had an issue with them.