All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:14 am

Post subject: How do you improve your painting
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

So, I'm wondering how everybody improves their painting. Specifically anything other than lots of practice and looking at things on the internet. Maybe a book, school course, or something else has helped you? I think that you can find all you need to be as good as MacG, on the internet, along with a lot of practice. But, is there something that I would need that I couldn't get off the internet?
Anybody have any thoughts/idea's?
Thanks
 Post subject: Re: How do you improve your painting
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:08 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

There are the 'How to paint Citadel miniatures' books.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Also more you paint more experience you get... :-D
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:49 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I find painting with someone else who is better helps
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:13 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

http://www.paintingclinic.com/index.htm

Is a great place to start.

To learn more:
http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/ under the articles tab.

http://thepaintingcorps.blogspot.com/ under the painting articles.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:07 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I agree with hilbert, the voice of experience can go a long way (Anyone catch the reference? :P ). Talking to some veteran painters at your local club is a great way to pick up tips and tricks, and they can also show you how to do things in real time (instead of looking at pics of WIP's and tutorials on the web).
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:22 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It wasnt so difficult to me to paint a figure cause I painted many times before on usually way. When I bought my mines of moria starter set, then the return of the king box, I found any information about painting a mini. I also wathced some tutorials. Now Im completly satisfied with my painting style. I dont paint as good as an HQ painter, but it s OK for me, cause I really like how my army looks like.

If I begin to paint a new army, team, I think a lot about the colors, then I paint them relativly fast. I use speedpaint techique, I also use quickshade.

If I paint a hero Im much more patient. I look after all the works on coolminiornot.com. I always want to create something like a figure wich is get 7 or 8 points. It never happens, but the result is also good usually.

I also really like those figures with a lot of unbelivable gradients. But I will never work on a figure for weeks, this isnt my style, Im painting in nice TTQ way. :)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:28 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Ok, this is what I did.

Like you I realized that I want to improve my painting, in my case I was like, "wow my stuff looks kinda bad"....then started the research, yes I said research....

1. Most of the world's renowned painters are on Cool Mini or Not, i went there and I contacted some of the best painters, like Derwish, Volomir, and Elly3438( i contacted him because of the NMM work, :P) These guys DO NOT mind giving help, they love it, just like I am liking this portion right now.

2. If I were you I would invest some money into a dvd or downloadable dvd, this is one of the best ways to get at least an idea of how these incredible painters do their stuff...I went to Miniature Mentor, go on Youtube and search reviews about miniature painting dvds, you'll find a bunch of stuff, and make sure you do good research because you don't want to spend money then find out the dvd is a piece of Devlan Mud...ehmmmm...miniature painting with Natalya..ehnmmmm... :-D

3. Like most other guys here said, practice...BUT make sure you have at least an idea of what you are doing, by watching the dvd's and analyzing, yes I said analyzing them. Write down some notes on what you think something could mean or how to do something.

Continuing on the practice...I know when you start off, even after several months, you will get frustrated...THAT's OK, just calm down and tell yourself this..."If I keep practicing I will get better in the future." If you keep this positive attitude you will meet your goal.

Ex: ME... At the beginning of 2011 I started off on the journey of increasing my skills, and mainly, trying out NMM, one of the hardest things when it comes to painting...after I would contact someone I would analyze it and then try it out on a mini, but I would fail...terribly..BUT..I kept at it...it took me about 8 months to figure out how to blend colors really well using different techniques but I finally got it down.

Sooo after all this crazy stuff I have been saying, please take it literally...and go out there and be positive when it comes to painting...after all it's only a hobby , :-D

well I hoped you've liked the show...until next time

-feanorthecrazynoldor
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:12 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks everyone, keep the feedback coming!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:14 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Research. Hands down, aside from practice, research is your best tool. I have read countless articles and painting guides over the years and applied those techniques to my painting. Read everything. How to Paint Space Marines has things you can apply to Dwarf Warriors. The White Dwarf article on Painting that unit of Orc Boar Boys can give you some great advice on painting warg riders. Heck, I'm using an article on a Chaos Knight of Nurgle for inspiration on my Spider Queen.

While working for GW, I was fortunate that I got a lot of practice on models that weren't my own (although I gave them the same care as I would if they had been). Talking to and watching experienced painters can help a lot as well. Do NOT set your expectations too high though. That technique you just picked up - it'll take practice to master. don't expect to get the same results as the person who showed it to you.

one thing I really liked about the "Read This First" book in Mines of Moria was the paint guide. Instead of the 'Eavy Metal level of miniature painting that is usually shown in guides, that showed a realisitic level that one can expect from their first models.

Start simple, add one new technique to the model you are painting at a time.

Don't be afraid to experiment. sometimes, your "oops!" can turn out to be an "Awesome!"

Write. Down. Your. Progression! Yes, even for the 3 color/wash scheme you just did on 300 goblins. In 2 years, you probably won't remember if you did this red or that red, this green or that green, what wash you used, etc. Even for simple schemes, you may think you don't need to, but it will come back to bite you when you return to that army.

You are your own worst critic. Again, don't expect to turn out 'Eavy Metal level of models. I've been painting miniatures since the early/mid 1980's and I am still nowehere near their level of painting. I never will be. I do paint models I can be proud of though and that's enough for me.

Save your first model, and compare it to one you painted a month or two later. You WILL see an improvement if you've been working steadily.

Also - don't be afraid to ask questions! "How did you...", "Can you tell/show me how you...", "What did you use for..." are all good things to ask.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:20 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Oh...don't limit yourself to one type of model either - paint as many different kinds as you can. I've painted something from every army, for Warhammer, LoTR, 40k as well as things from Battlefleet gothic, Bloodbowl...not to mention other manufacturer's models. The variety will not only keep you from getting bored painting the same thing(s) over and over, but will help you expand your techniques and build your skills. Sometimes, it's worth it to get and paint a model just because it looks cool, even if you'll never use it other than to display it.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:43 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

As you see if you do all the above you can become a perfect painter... 8)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:38 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Here is another great website...http://www.how-to-paint-miniatures.com/
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:13 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I sat down with models from the Battle Games mag and worked through the painting guides,
Sauruman was a real break through for me,
I get extra help from GW staff in stores,