All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:04 am

Post subject: Spear shafts
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Can anyone lend a quick hand with how to achieve a nice wooden effect on spear shafts... I've started with a basecoat of Steel Legion Drab...

I know the effect I want to go for in my head but if anyone has any good examples I'd be really keen to see them!

Cheers ya'll
 Post subject: Re: Spear shafts
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:13 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Do you mean wood grain? That'll be very difficult on something that narrow, and is seldom seen on real spear shafts

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Don't have a clear pic at hand of a spear, but here's a bow with a grain effect:

And a sword (lowest angle shows it best):

This was done with a dark shade of brown, adding a considerable amount of beige for the highlights. For a warmer colour (instead of this grey hue), add yellowish or more orange-brown colours. Add some water to the paint (otherwise, the transition will be very sharp; in addition, there can now occur some diversity in the thickness and thus colour intensity of the layer), get a fine brush (with relatively little paint on it) and go along the length of the weapon. Especially for larger pieces, break up the line, or bend slightly up or down, then start another line underneath/above it. Add parallel lines at about the same distance as the thickness of the line.
Contrast between the layers depends mostly on the desired effect (how prominent?) and the amount of layers you're planning to do. I personally prefer relatively few layers (otherwise it barely shows, it will be more of a gradual transition), and any further highlights should be on the previous lines, or the effect disappears.

Hope it helps a bit.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:22 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Oropher wrote:
Can anyone lend a quick hand with how to achieve a nice wooden effect on spear shafts... I've started with a basecoat of Steel Legion Drab...

I know the effect I want to go for in my head but if anyone has any good examples I'd be really keen to see them!

Cheers ya'll

When painting wood on axe-handles and spears etc, I often start with a basecoat of Steel Legion Drab as well. I then apply a wash of Agrax Earthshade before highlighting and picking out "grain" with Baneblade Brown and then Rakarth Flesh to finish. This gives a nice beaten and worn tone to the wood. I can't really give you any examples on spears I don't think in terms of images that are to hand at the moment though but the axe haft on the following Rohan Captain is painted this way:

Hope this helps mate :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks ever so much for the great response guys, that is pretty much exactly what I was looking for! Really appreciate your help.

I'll be sure to post up my efforts :)