All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:25 pm

Post subject: Not another thread about priming!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

So i've tried black, white, and gray. I am currently using gray. I think I'm going to back to black. Especially since i can get the benefits of white primer if I base coat the flesh areas and areas of light colors with a light color after priming.

However, before I do, I'd like to ask, has anyone used an odd color for primer, like red? I may try red before going back to black. Has anyone used red before?
 Post subject: Re: Not another thread about priming!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:43 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I use grey through an airbrush,

But really with GW's base paints the primer doesn't really matter. You don't need a solid coat like they always suggest, just a sparse sprinkle ;) or dust. It's just so the paint has something to adhere to.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:44 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I have seen red used on plastic easterlings and I think it went quite well. Made it quicker to do the cloth for sure. I'm sure it took longer to do the armour though, so really it's a trade off.

I can't see colour spray working on too many other models - I would say its mostly for plastics and would have the best results for Easterlings, High Elves!, Wood Elves & Harad.

For those not using GW base paints, the undercoat is essential, as I discovered once again - a bit too eager to paint a model up and not careful enough results in it getting scratched off.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

in the exterior and interior painting world I hear nightmare stories about painting over red. As a substrate or base color it is strong and changes the hue's above it (the layers) and thus colors don't lay over it well... painters say the red bleeds through in light.

On models/miniatures I am sure this is less of an issue as the area is small and the amount of light permeating and refracting back through the base colors is much less for the eye to perceive. But I would at least try brush on red first before buying a can of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

agreed. I didn't plan on buying anything until I tried brushing on some red first. heck, I may even just paint on some paper first and see what happens.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:37 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I have primed with army painter dragon red, If you use one of the older foundation paints from GW, or any high pigment content paint painting over it will not be a problem. Once you start to thin the paint, or use a lighter color you will be doing at least three coats. lets see, I have used, blue, dark blue, black and of course another shade of red without problem. White, yellow, elf flesh, orange ( yes, orange), green and brown with increasing levels of success, or should I say decreasing number of coats to get to the color I want.
In short it can be a nightmare, depends on what other colors are going with it.