All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Battle Companies
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The glorious army of Dale, just cause they are my favourite models.

The moment my gamepartner is back available I shall continue my BC campaign. (which I'm currently losing as my captain and half my troops died in the first turn... quite a bummer, but never surrender)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I have not painted up my dale models yet, but I could just do an unpainted BC to see how they play... Man that would be tough, playing with an unpainted model is something I never did. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:36 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The new Mirkwood Company is very different since it doesn't really follow the pattern of other companies, and I would like some feedback on it if you are up for it.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:02 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dice gods were with me tonight. I chose Durins Folk, I had never played dwarves. I still have tons of dwarves to paint but had plenty of my older metals done to field the starting BC. They won 2 matches against Dol Guldor and 1 match against Wood elves. 3 wins, no losses or draws. I think that is good for fist day out. I did lose three models through this and recruited 2 in return so the BC already is showing Character. Also now have no Bows in the force. But I think they are pretty cool, it also forces me to play them a specific way if they have no archer support. Dav definitely is thinking out his strategy, it is only a matter of time before he puts some of my BC's against the ropes.

I will look into Mirkwood for a furture BC. Next game we are playing BC + 500 theme force in which I will bust out my Isengard BC again. Perhaps that will allow me to paint up the starting force for that BC.

Some things we encountered this game;
Treasure Hunting Scenario. This scenario needs two things, 1 - an actual treasure (D3 gold sounded good to us), 2 - the game end should rise, I was down to 1 dwarf against 4 orcs and still managed the win and one objective having to actually kill every single guy. That took a long time to do and we just never rolled a 1 and I never failed my courage test. idea's for ending is 25%, or each turn the die score needed rises (2, 3, 4, 5, auto end), or die score rises each loss after breaking, or end die score is rolled by both armies if they both are broken (double the chances). Just some way to keep the game from going on and on as nobody want to abandon a Token.

Ambush Scenario. Add a blurb that If the defender (ambusher) reduces the attacker to 33% then the game ends with Defender Victory as the attacker cannot meet the victory conditions. We knew to do this, but thought it should be specified as it doesn't state a game end, just objectives. The reason is, what if the attacker cannot get 33% off so sticks around to fight and ends up killing all defenders, there is no draw provided so he still loses. That is why ending the first way allows a BC to retain it's less than 33% troops and get on to the next match sooner and for the Defender to not risk losses after securing a win, a mutual way of ending a match.
Also, Using the Defender/attacker in this scenario is confusing verbally, as the defender is waiting to attack the attacker who is trying to flee actually...so you can see the verbal stress here can be mistaken. I know the reason is because of the way scenarios are presented as attacker and Defender, I think if you put "The Defender (Ambusher)" in all instances of the word Defender would add a slight layer of clarification to a reader for just this scenario. It is just a visual thing to a reader to picture.

Curious about the Durins Folk list, Iron Guard cannot be promoted to heroes but doesn't say that about Khazad Guard. Does that mean they can become Heroes? That just sounds scary, KG with 3 attacks and might points...watch out. :-D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Is it intended that giant spiders of moria can't become venombacks?My giant spider(Gorbash)has become a venomback 3 times by now if its a mistake.If its not a mistake:Why?Moria are the army with venombacks aren't they?And my hero was killed and the other two just have one fate.And a leg wound.And the big goblins army has a dwarf with defence 7 or 8 and 2 wounds AND 2 fate.How can I kill him?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:53 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
Thanks! I'm glad you guys liked it. I would love to see more scenarios as well. I will continue to work on new ones, but would gladly accept contributions from others

I think I have a list of about 13 scenarios from the original battle companies release. I'll look them up for you and you can look through them and see if they need tweaking or whatever, if you'd like?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:18 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Painted 3 bought 1, a good month.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Harfoot, I think you wanted to post that to the Backlog Oath thread, next forum topic up bud.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:22 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Cheers, thanks, Mondays!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

May I put forward a suggestion for the Mirkwood BC. Because Thranduil obviously isn't a part of of a BC, should you maybe replace the special rule from Thranduil to lieutenant?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:05 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Started a new campaign with my brother and a friend. I'm taking extra care to note down details and keep track of everything because I plan on writing up their exploits as a series of tales. :) The Battle Companies warbands style of playing lends itself perfectly for creating unique narratives, and this booklet is invaluable and comprehensive. :) Excellent work Erunion!!
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

DavFlamerock and I played BC's again Friday. Always fun. I tweaked a scenario found in TTT rulebook (2002) called Scouring of the Westfold. What I did because we are looking at BC's, I changed the start distance to 10" so that a foot force can pull it off. I changed the number of people in the burning building to 3 (no ties this way). It worked awesome. Half the BC at the burning building, half starting on the south, the rescue force starts 10" from the buring building north side, rescue sets up first.
This was great. The first time through, two civ's burned up in the fire and 1 was rescued. the second time through all three were rescued. This shows that it can be done and both sides can win the scenario (so it is balanced), I made incentive of 2 gold per rescue or vice versa two gold for burned civilian.

I will be continuing to look through all my old books and adapt scenario's that I think can be fun in a BC environment. Dav took pictures and I hope he does a battle report of the first game.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Love battle company and currently have three going. Just wondered, my dwarf with bow got promoted to dwarves ranger, however it says nothing about any equipment which it does with many other entries, does this mean he Only comes with a hand weapon?
Have fun and thank you forntid article.
Slaktarn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:44 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Slaktarn, just use the profile from the Sourcebook, he should keep his bow.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:31 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

But the bow he carries is a dwarf bow which dwarves rangers cannot have and models are not allowed wargear that then normally could not take.
There are other situations, Orcs with two-handed weapons that becomes Warg riders, do the yttrade or do then comeback without any options.

I interpret the dwarf Bowman to get a dwarven longbow since he was equipped with a bow before.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:31 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey guys

Quick question: when determining the cost of war gear for heroes, if you have a warg rider leader, do you add on the cost of the warg on top of the cost of the base value of the unit? Surely if you do that you are paying for the wary twice,since the original cost of the unit takes the warg into account?

Edit: if you do add on the wargs as wargear the base cost or the battle company rockets up to over 100, well over the 88 base that seems to be shared by most new battle companies
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:58 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yes, this is a thorny one, because obviously you have to pay a higher price for equipment once your hero has gained attacks/wounds. I don't add the cost of the warg as it's already included in the profile cost as you say, and I only apply the multiplier to equipment he has bought rather than what is on his profile.

I think this is the correct way of doing it, but you point out an interesting point- shouldn't the warg, and/or other equipment be more valuable when the hero progresses?

Perhaps the better way to do it would be to treat the hero as an orc without warg, and add equipment including the warg at the multiplier appropriate to the level of the hero.

So basically, don't treat the warg rider as a warg rider, treat him as an orc who has a warg as part of his gear.

I'll add this problem to the following thread, where a few of us have been discussing the system, and adding suggestions.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29117&p=374752&hilit=battle+companies#p374752

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:10 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Having looked over the BC rules I think the paying for the warg rule would only apply for models that have received the warg as a war gear upgrade later in the campaign, as there are examples in other lists of models with the warg as upgrade option. As I have noted above, if you put the warg upgrade on to both your leader and his sergeants you end up with a battle which begins 18 points above everyone else for options you have already paid for!

So yes, I agree with your first point! :)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So I love the BC rules :-D But I have some questions about the Lothlorien BC

How come the Lothlorien Battle Company cannot include Guards of the Galadhrim Court? I would think they should be included.... So maybe a Galadhrim Warrior with Spear and Shield should be promoted to a Guard....

Just my 2 cents....

Post subject: Re: [*] Battle Companies - by Erunion
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:05 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I've been playing with a Durin's Folk group starting two weeks ago (using the 2013 rules) though it's against myself. I made one substitution and put in Rangers from the start instead of the normal bows as it fits the narrative I have in my mind. Started off against a raw Isenguard force and slaughtered it pretty quickly. It was just a made up ambush in a forest kind of scenario (so a battle to the death.) The Uruk's attacked for the most part in unison, but in the first clashing lost a shield guy and a sword only. It went quickly down hill from there.

Second game was another ambush in the forrest from an un-upgraded orc force. Ten on six is pretty interesting and the Orcs won a lot of fights but they could never put down the hammer till near the end. They dropped two warriors (who later recovered, one receiving and getting the D6 gold) but were slaughtered to the man.

Third game was a hostage snatch and grab against Easterlings, and in this one I included a full blown war priest and two sergeants. I had added two reinforcements (a Khazad Guard and bowman) as well as the heroes upgrading through defense, heavy dwarf armor etc) and it was still a slaughter. The first round of engagement lost two of the front rank guys and the priest was engaged and lost, shutting down Fury.

Lastly, another Easterling force counter attacked with a regular captain and war priest. This game was longer, but the easterlings couldn't land any wounds. A lot of back and forth, but the two handed weapons eventually started turning the tide. I did manage to make probably six Fury rolls though. It was crazy on that end!

Anyway, it's been fun so far. Going to cook up another enemy battle company and maybe do it tit-for-tat as far as making a hero (same amount of upgrades etc)
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next