All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:13 pm

Post subject: Middle Earth preview Sunday 7 August 2pm UK time
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:20 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Games Workshop is doing a Middle Earth preview show at 2pm on Sunday 7 August:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/202 ... resy-haul/

"There are big things brewing in Middle-earth at present, what with the The Rings of Power coming from Amazon, and while we have no releases scheduled which directly tie into the new show, there will be plenty of cool new reveals for the game."

Elsewhere on the internet there seems to be speculation of a new boxed set themed around the battle for Osgiliath, maybe with Minas Tirith vs Mordor Orcs. (And a new plastic Faramir/Gothmog?) No idea how true this is!

Some people think the statement above means Games Workshop hasn't got a deal with Amazon. But others think the very fact that they mentioned Amazon means they have. (In which case, while they haven't got any Amazon figures scheduled for release yet, they could be putting some on the schedules pretty soon?)

What do you think?
 Post subject: Re: Middle Earth preview Sunday 7 August 2pm UK time
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:04 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Great stuff :D
I do not think there will be miniatures based Off the Show.
But i do think they could use the momentum and announce a Last Alliance extension with New minis and replacing old minis and maybe a New Starter Box.

The thing with an Osgiliath Box is nomsens i think. That would have nothing to do with the show and bei weak in general - i mean we have had really enough of Mordor and MT xD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:41 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

You beat me to the post by 1 minute! Haha! I'll remove mine so it's all in one place :)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:18 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The rumours of the Osgiliath box set seem to be based partly on the fact that the existing Faramir and Gothmog are being taken out of the webstore, along with some other less popular models.

It would be quite an easy box set for them to put together with existing sprues of Minas Tirith warriors/rangers and orcs, maybe even with the existing Osgiliath ruins sprue, so it could be a low cost way to do a new box set ... that would be good for new players even if older players have it all already.

A new scenery kit with non-ruined Osgiliath/Minas Tirith buildings would be really nice though if they made one of those. Especially if you could stack them together into bigger buildings.

It's 20 years since the Two Towers film came out, so they could tie it into that for marketing. And hopefully release a plastic Boromir of the White Tower figure too!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:48 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It seems like GW and Amazon could not come to an agreement, at least for now. I'm slightly relieved, to be honest. I do not think the show looks very good based on what we've seen so far (but there's no need to get too into that here).

We can speculate quite a bit about what's coming. I'm mostly seeing the following rumors:

-A new edition of the rules
-A new boxed game featuring the Battle for Osgiliath
-A TTT MTO
-A Last Alliance-themed expansion

TTT MTO coincides with the 20th anniversary of The Two Towers theatrical release, while a Last Alliance expansion would indirectly tie-in with Rings of Power. I do not think MESBG NEEDS a new rulebook, but I also would not be surprised if we got one.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:57 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Another update here, confirming links to the Two Towers:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/202 ... is-sunday/
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have to say that my elation vanished.

By now i expect only MTOs for all the sets of the second movie e.g. Warg attack, heroes of helms klamm etc

I mean it makes sense for the anniversary but nothing of it is interesting for me :/

I also hope there wont be a New Edition - don't see any need for it and don't want to buy new books xD

The Osgiliath Box is big fuzz about a Minor Detail and i don't think thats gonna happen. Also i don't see any reason why this one should be any better than the Pelennor Box?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:16 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I've got my interested peaked to hear this new showcase. Not hoping for too much and really would hate to see a new edition, but I'll have my eyes on this one.

In terms of new models: Given that we got models for the black dragons after so many years, I'd say that a Numenor release will be more likely to have King's Guard models and a new Gil Galad model than a new basic warrior kit for the elves; also hopeful that Barad Dur will get new Black Numenorians to match up with the morgal knight models the same way Dol Amroth did a few years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:57 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The Two Towers model could be Beechbone the Ent?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:47 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Another curiosity would be Huorns… when did the latest edition of rules come out? 2017? What about a reboot of large scale battles in Middle Earth? I too am glad we will not be seeing Amazon’s interpretation of the Second Age on the table top! Now the Warner Brothers Rohan animated series… that might be interesting.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:53 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I think they will announce a Battle of Helm's Deep box + Orophin and Rumil's Forge World release dates + some minis returning to the range, such as Erkenbrand.

A few more hours and we'll know :D
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

For those of us that missed it, here is a handy link.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/202 ... ight-here/

Looks like we are getting a lot of new stuff, including Glorfindel on horse in armor and new Osgiliath terrain. Plus, army starter boxes too. Also, there is a new version of the rule book with the FAQ extra stuff added into it and with new photos. Can't say I'm thrilled to buy a new book for a few new pages, but then, I don't exactly have to and I am thrilled to get some new toys for the high elves (even if it does mean my armored twins are not going be see play as proxies anymore).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:56 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeah, as someone with both elf and Minas Tirith forces, this was a good preview!

New box set containing new sculpts for Faramir, Madril, Damrod and Gothmog.
New modular Osgiliath scenery (in the box set)
New battleforce boxes (collecting various existing models)
New Glorfindel foot and mtd (Forgeworld resin)
New Galadhrim guard inc. optional banner (Forgeworld resin)
New Elrond foot and mtd with banner bearer (plastic)

I would ask for a plastic Boromir of the White Tower as a follow-up, but feel this must be almost certainly planned at this stage.

Now that Glorfindel finally has an armoured mounted version, perhaps Gil-Galad and Elendil are on the way at some point? Although an obscure character I think Forlong the Fat deserves an official mounted model from Forgeworld too ... he'd be a fun model to paint.

If they ever made new plastic troops it would be great to get a multi-part Minas Tirith kit where you could either make them into warriors, or Osgiliath veterans. You could put various options on the sprues like spare heads, weapons, banners, war horn, bed rolls etc. to let you customize them and fill up the bits box.

That's probably unlikely ... but maybe Forgeworld could do a "conversion kit" sprue that contained a blank banner, a hand holding a war horn, a harp (for Wood elf sentinels or Lindir), a bow, a few spare human heads and shields etc.

On an unrelated note, I think some new woods suitable for Middle Earth would be nice. The old GW woods (often used in Middle Earth tournaments) were quite nice, but the sculpted detail on the bases made them hard to stand models on, and if you used the trees with leaves on they were hard to move models through at all ... the bare trees work ok.

GW has some new woods for Sigmar/40k that are good, but these are bit too big for Middle Earth. But they're shaped in a clever way that you can use them to mark out an area inside the circle as being woodland without having an uneven sculpted base in the middle. Something like that could be quite nice. Although maybe with some more hedges/bushes around the tree trunks to block line of sight ... when people play true line of sight it is almost impossible with the old woods to actually hide from archers in a forest, which seems odd!

(ps. I wonder if they could include the Frodo/Sam/Gollum from the old "captured by Gondor" box in a future made-to-order. Preferably not the full box as the old Faramir was available quite readily until recently anyway.)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I see this as a way for GW consolidating their inventory, making battlehosts vs individual minas tirith and ranger sets. Will see.

The only thing tempting me in the new box set is the new Osgiliath scenery, hopefully they will sell this separately. Looking forward to people buying multiple sets and selling the individual pieces on ebay.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:12 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

They said you could make complete non-ruined buildings from the Osgiliath scenery. I can see how you could stick the complete squares together, but I wonder if the kit contains the right parts for a roof or tower?

It also feels like you get a lot of ruined parts, so making a full building would need a lot of kits ... unless of course they have another sprue planned to release later that you could combine bits with.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:07 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The new Glorfindel, Galadhrim court guard and Rumil/Orophin will be available to pre-order next weekend.

Glorfindel's an amazing new model, will definitely get. The new mounted Elrond (not going on pre-order yet) is great too, though I think the old metal Elrond and the vanquishing of the necromancer one hold up quite well to the new foot version.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:58 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

GW is doing an advance pre-order ... they say you can order the box between 10-26 September if you want to guarantee getting it for Christmas: https://www.warhammer-community.com/202 ... osgiliath/

Or you can take a chance on buying it later ... obviously they're not quite sure how many to make!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Is there enough to make all that ruined scenery?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:27 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I guess you get enough to make all four ruined corners shown in the photograph ... how you could combine it to make a non-ruined building remains to be seen, unless it's a very clever jigsaw puzzle!