All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:45 pm

Post subject: Prices going up March 7th
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

https://www.warhammer-community.com/202 ... cing-news/

Quote:
In many cases, this will be about 5%. So, as an example of what you can expect on most kits, a box of Space Marine Intercessors will go up just £1 from £35 to £36.*

A few things are going up about 10% (e.g. books, scenery, resin miniatures), and there are a couple of outliers (e.g. Blood Bowl teams and metal miniatures) which are going up around 20%.

So if you want to buy some scenery sets, do it now.

Quote:
What’s NOT going up in price:

Paints
Brushes
Paint sets
Tools
The majority of Starter Sets:

Not mentioned is the Pelennor Fields starter set.

Quote:
Excluded currencies:

We’re pleased that there are some areas of the globe where we will be able to maintain current prices.

Australia dollar
New Zealand dollar
Japan yen
China RMB

Post subject: Re: Prices going up March 7th
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:28 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Not sure what to think of this.

Were price increases communicated like this before?

Is this increase moderate? Is it valid?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:36 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think it's good that they give some advance warning of the prices going up ... at least you have some chance to pick up existing models before they are increased.

Fantasy Flight Games recently did price increases on all their Star Wars Legion products too.

Shipping costs are going up around the world at the moment, and energy prices are rising rapidly too.

I think the biggest impact would be on things like Rohan Royal Guard, which are expensive already, but seems like they might go up another 20%. Worth remembering that you can get 10% off GW official prices from many local games stores if you search online.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Asgarod wrote:
Not sure what to think of this.......
Is it valid?

Depends on whether you look at it as a customer or shareholder.
GW's profits for the last 2 years have been at record highs so they could have absorbed this round of cost increases without any problem. But shareholders (mainly corporate fund managers) do not work that way. For them any price rises that maintain profit levels are valid and justified.

A wider issue for GW is the overhead costs they have incurred bringing production back to the UK from China. They now have to pay western market rate (albeit lower quartile) for labour and associated costs rather than Chinese slave economy prices. This will probably be reflected in further cost increases still to come once the quarantine/lockdown bubble bursts and sales return to normal levels.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:44 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I am actually interested if anyone knows:
How much profit does GW make with selling an average box set?
E.g. one box of Uruk-Hai warriors or Warriors of Minas Tirith. Both of them cost (in Austria) 34 €
Or from another direction: What is the cost amount for GW in this 34 €?
I imagine the raw material and production cost to not be higher than 10 €. Maybe license fees come on top. Still I think their profit by box to be > 10 €

And now if you compare this to say a blister of Khandish horsemen, coming in at 25 € for two metal miniatures. What makes them so much more expensive? Just the tin? That their production process somehow is limited to packs of two or that it cannot be changed to plastic or wouldn't be worth it?

In the end my point is: Is it possible that GW earns quite a lot of profit from their already high prices and couldn't they just have swallowed the price increase? I am aware they are not known to place their customers first and they are a corporation where its first and foremost about profits.
But increasing prices does also shy away customers and could reduce their sales.