All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:48 pm

Post subject: Return of Rohan Stronghold and new Balin's Tomb game
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

https://www.warhammer-community.com/202 ... tronghold/

Looks like they are going to offer the Rohan Stronghold again (6 houses, 2 watchtowers/palisades) at a "cheaper" price than buying them individually.

Also, with the 20th anniversary of the Fellowship of the Rings in theaters, they are releasing a new Battle in Balin's tomb game. Game Board, cards, dice the Fellowship, 12 Moria Goblins and a Cave troll.

Both said to release for the holiday season but no actual date given.

The Balin's tomb game looks like a great introductory game, board looks rather small for the scenery set but hard to tell. Looks like a winner for MESBG.

Post subject: Re: Return of Rohan Stronghold and new Balin's Tomb game
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:38 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Wonder what the discount price would be ... individually six Rohan houses and two palisades are £246 or US$398 I think ...

The board game means the plastic cave troll will be back on sale ... in some ways that should be part of the permanent range, as it would work well for new players to pick up a couple with the plastic Moria goblins and plastic balrog kits for a starter army.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:32 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

That Balin's Tomb was certainly unexpected. I wonder if it will use stripped-down SBG rules or an entirely new system? I also wonder if it will be any better balanced than some versions of the SBG scenario have been.

Seems like a great idea for a starter kit at any rate. I hope it pays off for them.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would think that they would use a stripped down version of the rules, similar to what they did for the Mines of Moria set. Wish they could have included at least 24 moria goblins, would have made a more exciting board for new comers vs having to keep bringing in goblins as they die.

For quite a discussion on this, look at this Reddit thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MiddleEarthMin ... niversary/

I think the comment that best sums it up is this: "Amazing how this section is divided by long-term fans being unhappy, and new fans very excited."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:07 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I ran across that Reddit thread this morning.

I think some of the old timers are missing the point of the box set. It's not aimed at us. Crabbing that "they could have given us new sculpts" is missing the point. (Not that I don't agree that the sculpts on the Fellowship sprue are underwhelming).

Looking at the dice in the one image we have, I suspect it won't be stripped down SBG. The dice appear to have symbols instead of numbers, and there's blue dice by the Fellowship side, red and gray dice near the Evil side. Surely the red dice are for Goblin use and the gray die is for the Cave Troll? If so, then the Good side are all using the same dice and so there's no strength vs defense comparisons going on.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:14 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I am neither interested in the rohan nor the boardgame.
The rohan stuff might bei cool for People to get a discount in getting more stuff. so thats OK. But i really Wonder who is supposed to be the target group for the boardgame....
Overall despite the fact that our System got more love than expected, i am quite disappointed about what GW offers for the 20th anniversary :/