All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:02 pm

Post subject: Fall of the Necormancer Expansion
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:05 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So what are your thoughts about the new expansion, new/returning miniatures , the scenarios, the painting master class and the Legendary Legions?
Did you buy the book or not? Why?

In general i think its cool that we got this smaller expansion and that it focuses on smaller factions which were not so frequently played.

For me it the book sadly is not really interesting. I am not interested in the scenarios, the necormancer painting class sadly focuses on his Hobbit appearance which i do not plan to paint. And although i would be interested to read the fluff stuff and i plan to play the Rise of the Necormancer LL, i am not willing to pay the full price for this minor parts of the book.

The timing of the release is kinda perfect since i prepared buying and painting an all hero Dol Guldur army and now there really is no reason why i should not play the Rise of the Necormancer LL.

It also feels great to be excited about new content i am interested in (its the first time since i started the hobby, beginning this year).

Looking forward to your thoughts =)

Post subject: Re: Fall of the Necormancer Expansion
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:51 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I got the book ... the scenarios are nice. Haven't tried them yet, but could be good to try in the future. I like the fact they make the scenarios a bit easier to collect for now, eg. the armies usually match the box compositions (such as having 24 orcs, one box worth). A lot of the scenarios are smaller mini-games with a few models, rather than giant ones.

Legendary legions are interesting. I tried the White Council one, seemed good fun and pretty powerful ... though maybe not as fun for the opponent after they get three transfixes, a sorcerous blast, a nature's wrath and a banish each turn! You can potentially shut down all the enemy's heroes and stop them doing much.

The painting guide is fine as a filler, but I am not keen personally on the glowing necromancer effect and while it's nice to have some reference photos while painting (I often use the 360s on the store website) I don't use step-by-step guides a lot.

I also think it would be great in the future to have something on the LOTR-era cleansing of Dol Guldur by Galadriel and Thranduil. Maybe a legendary legion combining Lothlorien and Mirkwood elves ... or some new models only for this legion like Galadriel and Celeborn on horse!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:54 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Alex123 wrote:
I got the book ... the scenarios are nice. Haven't tried them yet, but could be good to try in the future. I like the fact they make the scenarios a bit easier to collect for now, eg. the armies usually match the box compositions (such as having 24 orcs, one box worth). A lot of the scenarios are smaller mini-games with a few models, rather than giant ones.

Legendary legions are interesting. I tried the White Council one, seemed good fun and pretty powerful ... though maybe not as fun for the opponent after they get three transfixes, a sorcerous blast, a nature's wrath and a banish each turn! You can potentially shut down all the enemy's heroes and stop them doing much.

The painting guide is fine as a filler, but I am not keen personally on the glowing necromancer effect and while it's nice to have some reference photos while painting (I often use the 360s on the store website) I don't use step-by-step guides a lot.

I also think it would be great in the future to have something on the LOTR-era cleansing of Dol Guldur by Galadriel and Thranduil. Maybe a legendary legion combining Lothlorien and Mirkwood elves ... or some new models only for this legion like Galadriel and Celeborn on horse!

I could imagine that the Cleansing of Dol Guldur could be part of the upcoming expansion which is about the War in the North. While this one probably focuses on the siege of Erebor and will feature Easterlings/Khand VS Erebor/Dale, the War storywise also included Thranduils Halls, Lorien and the cleansing of Dol Guldur.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would like to comment on this book that I pre-ordered, but unfortunately they haven't shipped it yet. Time to email them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Since I haven't got the book yet, how many woodsman are in the first scenario?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:39 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

12 woodsmen and a chieftain, so they recommend a sprue of Rohan warriors with a captain.

The elf scenarios tend to have 10-20 Mirkwood rangers.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:37 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks! I had read that they recommended Rohan but hadn't heard the number.