All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:06 am

Post subject: New Site: sbginventory.com
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:29 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I've made a web site to help me track my painting progress and how far along I am in being able to play GW's scenarios. It's been useful for me; maybe it can help you, too:

https://www.sbginventory.com

Even if you aren't particularly interested in narrative play, you can use the site to track your collection and painting progress.

Comments, suggestions, and bug reports appreciated!
 Post subject: Re: New Site: sbginventory.com
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:51 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ok this is a dream come true. Filling it out at the moment, thanks heaps for building this. Does it have everything released to date?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

This is amazing Dave!

I was just thinking about publishing my list of participants in each scenario and was wondering if there was some way I could synchronize an inventory database with the scenarios to automatically update participants. This does just that and it does so beautifully!

Amazing work!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

What a great idea! Thanks Dave 8)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:56 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks, guys, I hope you'll find it as useful as I do.

@Necromancer7, the figures and scenarios should be complete (the latter at least as far as official GW books and SBG magazine; I'm torn on which/whether other sources such as BGiME should be included too).

If you find something missing .... that's a bug. Let me know and I'll fix it.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:28 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

What you made is really useful! The only thing that can be improved in my own opinion, is to add models in your collection with only one click. Atm it needs many and if you already have a big collection then you must spend one afternoon to save each different named model.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 1:21 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

@Valadorn: that's a good point; Barrels out of Bond was especially tedious when I did my own collection.

I've got a search feature maybe a week or two away, which might help a little. At the very least then you wouldn't have to remember what faction a figure belongs to. (It isn't always obvious, at least to me.)

But really you want to be able to say "I've got one/two/whatever Haradrim sprue/s" and have the app Do the Right Thing. That's pretty doable logistically; the hard part is figuring out what all the sprues & boxes are, and how to integrate that into the UI. I'm all ears if folks have suggestions.
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:00 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

DaveT wrote:
@Valadorn: that's a good point; Barrels out of Bond was especially tedious when I did my own collection.

I've got a search feature maybe a week or two away, which might help a little. At the very least then you wouldn't have to remember what faction a figure belongs to. (It isn't always obvious, at least to me.)

But really you want to be able to say "I've got one/two/whatever Haradrim sprue/s" and have the app Do the Right Thing. That's pretty doable logistically; the hard part is figuring out what all the sprues & boxes are, and how to integrate that into the UI. I'm all ears if folks have suggestions.

You put a lot of work into it and we are more than grateful. I will spread the word of this app, as it deserves a lot. For me, just keep in mind to keep it less time consuming and super easy to use, it is a key. Also I hope you can keep that domain cause I see you pay for a ".com". People are gonna use it for a long time from what it seems.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 2:42 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I've only had a chance to experiment with the site a bit but I love what you're doing with it! It is such a useful resource and makes it easy to see what you need for future scenarios and might even inspire people to try some scenarios that they didn't already know about. Is there any chance you might include some White Dwarf scenarios as well? The more comprehensive the scenario list is, the more invaluable your site becomes I would say :)

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:49 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

@Kuribo White Dwarf scenarios are a possibility. I don't have most of them, though. (And do we use US or UK issue numbers?)

I've gone back and forth on BGiME scenarios, too. Some of the scenarios are great but many of them (especially in the early issues) are pretty generic and don't bring much to the table, I think. But what do y'all think?

There's also the UI issue; adding 150 more scenarios is going to make that scenario list pretty unwieldy.
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Personally I'd really like to see the BGiME scenarios, as I think some of those scenarios are really good (and some not so much...). I'd love to rate them on a site which uses public ratings.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:26 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I've added a search capability to the site. I'll try to start getting the BGiME scenarios over the next few weeks. I'm pretty sure I'm missing a couple of issues -- any volunteers to send me the information for 2-3 scenarios?

I'm looking forward to getting the Scouring of the Shire II scenarios in, too, once that book is available. Truly our cup runneth over. (Surely we're not all done with Gondor at War already, are we?)
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'd gladly contribute the information about the missing issues. In fact, I have a spreadsheet file containing all the participants in the scenarios described in each issue. Not every issue contained a scenario so those are left blank or have a '-'.

I have it available for download here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5euxz5l4887vk ... .xlsx?dl=0

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:40 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

That's great. Thanks!
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

[quote="DaveT] (Surely we're not all done with Gondor at War already, are we?)[/quote]

Heck no! Just getting started! :)

Great job on building that site btw. I’m sure all of us will find it useful

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:33 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

OK, all the non-points-match BGiME scenarios are in the database. Let me know if you see any issues (heh).

It's probably worth pointing out that the About tab always has the latest news; it might be worth checking that occasionally.

Also, as I add new features you may encounter broken pages; when that happens, try force-reloading and/or clearing your cache to make sure you're picking up the latest version. If that still fails, ping me.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:55 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks a lot Dave!

Not sure if it is intentional, but the BGiME scenarios don't show a percentage pie chart of owned/painted models at the general overview, whereas the other scenarios do. I understand if it's intentional to reduce traffic load. But I wanted to inform you regardless, it's not due to my cache.

EDIT: It's fixed now!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:03 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

@Voyager360: the summary recalculations happen in the background whenever you change your inventory. So if you bought, painted, or sold anything, that would update the percentage pies for all the scenarios.

I've thought about adding admin support to force recalculations when I add scenarios, but I'm kind of inclined to leave things the way they are as a small incentive for people to add to or paint their collection. :)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:32 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ah that explains it. That works. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:45 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I found an irritating bug where if the pie chart changed for a scenario, then your rating of that scenario got reset to zero. (If it's not obvious, you can tell your rating of the scenario by the purple star; the fact that no purple star was showing for scenarios that I know I rated led me to discover the issue.)

That bug should be squashed now.

To get the system back in sync I've reset all the ratings; this mostly affected me but if you were one of the others casting some votes, apologies!

Please let me know of any other bugs that you run into.

I've been doing some design work towards letting folks add to their inventory by boxes instead of by figures. No promises on availability dates yet but it should be coming sometime.