All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:08 pm

Post subject: Re: Warhammer Community MESBG Rules Previews
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:59 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

She leads Merry, I guess that would count as one (or perhaps a half)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:22 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Wow, I've been totally out of the loop for lotr but I gotta say this does get me a little hyped. I like the general direction of all the previews, that said, there still are a ton of special rules that amount to 12in stand fast or bodyguard.. while thematic and sometimes helpful especially for good models that kind of rule is just a little wasteful and makes models that make you take courage tests so bad, which is a bummer because it always feels like courage isn't that important because either your models will all always pass or will always fail. So I hope the new profiles have other cool additions or at least you aren't paying much for that kind of stuff.

P
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:35 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The preview for the evil army bonuses is up - Mordor, Harad and Easterlings. Mordor gets +1 courage and rerolls of 1 to wound if they outnumber the enemy, Harad has a 50% bowlimit and counts everything as poisoned, Easterlings get +1 courage after theyve broken and can reroll the die to see if the game ends. All pretty useful stuff. Easterlings in particular seem like theyd be great allies, depending on the matrix. Kind of miffed about the Lorien bonus now... magic resistance is going to come up way less often than poison weapons or rerolling wounds...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
Suddenly, all of your basic warriors are re-rolling 1s To Wound when shooting or making strikes in combat – couple that with the Betrayer, who lets them re-roll 1s and 2s, and you have a seriously deadly force!

Could someone explain this to me? Unless this is changed in the new edition of the rules, you can't re-roll a re-roll, correct? So having this additional Army Rule in addition to having the Betrayer doesn't benefit you, since you'd already re-roll 1s anyway?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:16 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

IMO the Easterling bonus sucks. Unless their troops get a buff, they are gonna be getting a lot of +1 Courage.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:45 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Voyager360 wrote:
Could someone explain this to me? Unless this is changed in the new edition of the rules, you can't re-roll a re-roll, correct? So having this additional Army Rule in addition to having the Betrayer doesn't benefit you, since you'd already re-roll 1s anyway?

The army bonus give all your harad warriors and raiders poison. The Betrayer make things with poison re-role 1s and 2s rather than just 1s, basically giving stuff ultra poison. You don't re-role the poison re-role you just get a better poison re-role to start with. Therefore, the Betrayer does have an effect on an army with the special rule and the two are not rendered redundant by each others existence. I hope that clears up your confusion somewhat.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Wan Shi Tong wrote:
The army bonus give all your harad warriors and raiders poison. The Betrayer make things with poison re-role 1s and 2s rather than just 1s, basically giving stuff ultra poison. You don't re-role the poison re-role you just get a better poison re-role to start with. Therefore, the Betrayer does have an effect on an army with the special rule and the two are not rendered redundant by each others existence. I hope that clears up your confusion somewhat.

Ah thank you, now it makes sense! Sounds like a good synergy. Agreed that the Easterling's army bonus doesn't seem as strong in comparison. Perhaps they've reduced their point values to make them more competitive?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:08 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Easterling’s will likely get the shieldwall rule. I play easterlings a lot, so I hope this is the case. I also would not mind a point reduction and making dragon knights lesser leaders so they can field troops. I have not used one yet and I have been playing easterlings since the eastern kingdoms book come out (actually since GW released the Mordor army box that had the metal easterlings in it).

I think the Easterling army rule is not as flashy as some of the other army bonuses, but it now makes Easterlings the evil army with the best leadership, if you don’t count a warhorn bonus. We already had fury, but by the end of the game the priest is dead. If we keep the black dragon upgrade, this army bonus will push them up to courage 5. That is a darn good benefit in my book.

One more thing, please let Armdur (sp?) have 3 attacks!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

buddhanutz wrote:
Easterling’s will likely get the shieldwall rule. I play easterlings a lot, so I hope this is the case. I also would not mind a point reduction and making dragon knights lesser leaders so they can field troops. I have not used one yet and I have been playing easterlings since the eastern kingdoms book come out (actually since GW released the Mordor army box that had the metal easterlings in it).

I think the Easterling army rule is not as flashy as some of the other army bonuses, but it now makes Easterlings the evil army with the best leadership, if you don’t count a warhorn bonus. We already had fury, but by the end of the game the priest is dead. If we keep the black dragon upgrade, this army bonus will push them up to courage 5. That is a darn good benefit in my book.

Yes! I also play Easterlings, and DK's really need to be able to lead troops. They could be a bit cheaper as well.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:29 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

buddhanutz wrote:

Agreed! Such a badass fighter should certainly have 3 attacks. Also agreed with the rest of the things you mentioned.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:23 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The new channelled blade wrath spell (strength 10!) should make him a beast assuming the war priests still have it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:40 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Voyager360 wrote:
buddhanutz wrote:

Agreed! Such a badass fighter should certainly have 3 attacks. Also agreed with the rest of the things you mentioned.

Just got the book - He DOES now have 3 attacks :)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:47 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Any news on Glorfindel and Gil Gilad? Have they changed at all? Itching to get my hands on a copy, going to have wait a month till I'm back home :(
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:57 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeah he looks really nice now. Easterlings as a whole look good now, they've fixed issues with the pike block and cataphracts get a mounted version of shieldwall.