All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:35 am

Post subject: New rulebook incoming?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:21 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I have heard rumor that we may get a new rulebook in the near future to cover all LOTR and hobbit ranges and be part of the move to bring the entire line under "Middle Earth Strategy Battle Game". Anyone have any idea when this may be?
My main concern is if I do decide to invest in getting the expensive There and Back Again rulebook, it may become redundant.

Post subject: Re: New rulebook incoming?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:33 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It is expected to be released this year, probably in the summer. But we don't know the details yet. The current rulebook is no longer available to order in quite some countries (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33536), so that could mean that GW will no longer be printing this book because the new one is coming soon(ish).

I've heard rumours that maybe something will be revealed at Adepticon, which runs from Thursday 22 March to Sunday 25 March. So if you're on the fence, I'd at least try to wait for that.

Finally, while we do know for sure a new rulebook will be released at some point, it doesn't necessary cover all (or any of?) the (Hobbit) profiles. I'd love it if they released one big book with everything in it, but that's not what they've done in the past. It's possible that the There And Back Again book will still be relevant (at least for quite some time) for the Hobbit profiles. And it will probably stay the only source for the Hobbit campaign scenarios. Though I do wonder what they'll do after the current Hobbit rulebook has gone out of print as it contains the first couple of scenarios for that campaign.

There And Back Again doesn't actually cover any new rules, just scenario's and profiles. I would expect at least the scenario's to stay relevant (if you're interested in them) and quite possibly also the profiles, at least for some more time than just this year.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:28 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

So did we have any info at adepticon??

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:27 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I would be surprised to be honest, thought they would leave it until warhammer fest in May.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:33 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Any word on this? My interest in playing the game has been rekindled as some friends have decided to jump back on board. But they only have the old rules. imagine my dismay when I couldn't find the Hobbit rules online...!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:28 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Youre in luck. There was something on Warhammer community just today. Just a logo for the rebranded game and whats probably the new starter though.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:36 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

hey @whafrog - welcome back ! I always found your posts to be so educational when I was starting out in the hobby a few years back. While the site isn't quite as active as it was back in it's heyday, there's a ton of new users and also a whole bunch of people lurking around here these days that I'm sure would benefit from your SBG wisdom, especially in regards to army lists and such....

Also - in case you missed it, definitely check out this recent post from user ONI - it's an amazingly in-depth breakdown of the new Mirkwood army lists, and there's also a ton of interesting stats on win probability in fights.....

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33515

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Recent news over the last couple of days mentions a new boxed set so perhaps a pelennor fields starter set? It’s unclear what will be in it and whether there’ll be a new rule book with it or not. I’d imagine it will probably be either fully announced or released at Ardacon over the summer, but I’m hoping for the latter, because 3 months is roughly the window they previously mentioned they can tell us about products pre-release.

TABA is also not a rule book, but more of a sourcebook/ journeybook, so should not be outdated by any new supplement.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:47 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Thanks, I saw that recent post, quite excited about it.

And thanks ja33 for the kind words. I've only played 2 games in the past couple weeks, after several years absent, so my SBG knowledge is probably quite outdated. I expect I shall lurk and learn for a while.