All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:55 am

Post subject: Boxed sets maybe making a return?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:18 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

With the rumours that old models may be coming back into stock, do you think it's possible old boxed sets like Ambush at Amon Hen and Attack on Weathertop will make a return? Has anybody heard any rumours that they may do? Or can confirm?

I'd like to pick up a couple of these old sets and am tempted to buy them from extortionate ebay sellers, but if they're possibly making a return in the future, then I'd rather bide my time and buy them as they return.

Thanks !
 Post subject: Re: Boxed sets maybe making a return?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:18 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

There is some truth behind the rumours. Ambush at amon hen and attack on weathertop (a version without the nazgul) are available at warhammer world. They have a few other oop boxed sets there as well, including defenders of rohan and final fate of the witch king. But i doubt they will return on the games workshop webstore.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:58 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Oh really? :shock: I had no idea, do you by any chance know how much they cost?

I already knew about defenders of Rohan and the witch king set, I thought they were the only ones though.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:10 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

attack on weathertop is 25 pounds, but i can't remember the price of ambush at amon hen
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

From memory
Final fate of the Witch king - £25
Heroes of Weathertop - £25
Ambush at among hen £50 ish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:26 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

This is great news for me, now another reason to visit Warhammer world. Maybe I'll put some money aside and go pick up the ambush set and defenders.

Unless anyone want to do it for me, hmmmmm? Nottingham is quite far for me :sad:

But thanks guys, hopefully I can get hold of them soon.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:55 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I've heard the rumours about them being stocked in warhammer world too ; have yet to go but like yourself this might be just the reason I need! When I was trying to finish my Numenorean army I ended up pay on average £8 per bowman miniature just because they were OOP?!

I think it's disgusting how people will try and charge extortionate prices for 'collectors items' on sites such as eBay & Amazon, justifying their greed by virtue of the model being OOP. It always makes me smile when these people have their greed smashed by GW re-releasing what they're trying to sell ; i'm surprised we haven't seen more of the mirkwood sword blisters on there now they're OOP, tbh.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:11 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

If we were wish listing, I really think GW should release a sorta pseudo "start collecting" box for the main Lotr/Hobbit Factions. An army in a box with a nice discount would really be advantageous for getting new people into the system me thinks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:36 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

When LOTR was first released I remember they had an embarrassment of riches, with almost a box set for every major scene / group of characters from every film (great for surplus models to convert & make dioramas but not great on the wallet) but I believe they sold well regardless.

I agree with RainTheZangoose that a 'start collecting..' series could work really well ; we have the 'goblin town' starter set for Thorin's company already and in a way the (3) warbands currently available are already a move by GW in this direction.

Ultimately GW is a business first & foremost, therefore 'if it sells well, we'll make more' / 'if sales drop, we'll stop it' (which is normal practice to make a your business work & make profit). As their customers, it now falls upon ourselves as hobbyists to make this opportunity work by buying these products & then we will most likely see an expansion of the number of box sets / warbands available.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:32 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

One obstacle to the type of "start collecting" boxes currently available for Warhammer is the availability of Middle-earth plastics. All such sets sold by GW in recent times consist entirely of plastic figures, coinciding with exclusively plastic releases for those ranges. For Middle-earth, two main problems exist: the limited variety in plastic sets per army (with elites and particular weapon options only in metal or resin) and the lack of plastic heroes. If the sets are designed to be a playable army, characters are essential, and few plastic ones exist for Middle-earth (including resin elites or heroes will be difficult at that price point, while an additional problem is that it is the plastic sets that can be churned out cheaply). That said, a few sets of more recent figures (although none of the Hobbit ones aside from Rivendell Knights I think) do include bits for optional captains, so it may just about work (although even then you'll be hard pressed to have a legal army in the warband format).
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:15 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wait, is the Defenders of Rohan set the one with Hama? It's still available at WHW?!

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think the Start Collecting! would work well. For Minas Tirith, for examples
12 WoMT
1 Minas Tirith Command Set
1 Faramir Ft and Mtd.

That adds up to about 90 USD. Say with a few bucks off like they do with the other Start Collecting! Sets, you could get all that for say 80 USD. Or they could add a few elites for "free", say 3 Citadel Guard.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Lord Hurin wrote:
Wait, is the Defenders of Rohan set the one with Hama? It's still available at WHW?!
Hama, Gamling with banner and Eomer+Theoden+Aragorn+Legolas+Gimli all standing around looking very relaxed. Available at WHW and any events at which the Middle-earth team is present.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
Lord Hurin wrote:
Hama, Gamling with banner and Eomer+Theoden+Aragorn+Legolas+Gimli all standing around looking very relaxed. Available at WHW and any events at which the Middle-earth team is present.

So then why does it go for mad money on eBay? I always quite liked the poses, but wasn't interested in it when it came out. I always regretted not buying it...

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:32 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Lord Hurin wrote:
Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
Lord Hurin wrote:

So then why does it go for mad money on eBay? I always quite liked the poses, but wasn't interested in it when it came out. I always regretted not buying it...

Cause they are preying on people who don't know what WHW even is :(

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Because some people will try to squeeze a massive profit from anything? I've seen figures readily available from the GW webstore on ebay for several times their retail price - whether the seller wasn't aware of their availability, or worse still hoped his buyers weren't, I don't know...

Also missed out on Defenders the first time around, so grabbed a set at an event recently so as not repeat that mistake. Indeed, I picked up a second one (to sell on to anybody who couldn't attend) which I just put on ebay as well, but I'm simply asking for the retail price rather than several times that amount. Saw one up there for 120 pounds, by the Valar that's just insane.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:07 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I know it's not exactly on topic but as you're talking about getting good deals on eBay for OOP models I'd highly advise looking for very broad search terms such as 'Lotr Sbg', I've got quite a good few deals using similar titles to this, I managed to get the Defenders of Helm's Deep unpainted with original packaging for around £15. You definitely can get brilliant deals for OOP models and normally they will be listed as something else as the seller doesn't know exactly what they are (e.g 'LOTR SBG Box Aragorn Theoden...' as they just lost everything in the box but not what it's called).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:44 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I should have added in my previous post that i'm hoping that some models may be remade / new version released as part of forgeworld's characters series ; I always regret not getting the resin Radagast when I had the chance :(
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I really, really want Angbor, Forlong and Duinhir but they all regularly go for £20+ each on eBay. Really hoping that these characters get a shot at re-release, if not redesign.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:26 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Agreed - I paid £20 for Forlong but I would happily see him re-released so others can get him for a proper price!