All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:13 am

Post subject: Amazon Making LOTR TV Series
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:09 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Amazon is negotiating a deal with Warner Bros to remake The Lord of the Rings as a TV series.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/lord-of-the-rings-amazon-1202606519/amp/

Not a fan of the idea. Maybe a series on The Silmarillion, but I don't think The Lord of the Rings needs a remake, especially so soon.

Last edited by Jamros on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Amazon in Talks to Make LOTR TV Series
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:40 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

omgomgomgomgomg
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:28 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Considering we're in the age of the television, I don't think this'd be necessarily a bad thing. It's also been almost 15(!!!) years since Return of the King came out.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm not sure they'd have the budget to really make something that can compete with Peter Jackson's trilogy.

Whatever you think of PJ's version, it hasn't aged badly in terms of effects, and the lavish location shooting is something I can't see happening again unless it had a budget to match Game of Thrones.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:16 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Lothíriel wrote:
I'm not sure they'd have the budget to really make something that can compete with Peter Jackson's trilogy.

Whatever you think of PJ's version, it hasn't aged badly in terms of effects, and the lavish location shooting is something I can't see happening again unless it had a budget to match Game of Thrones.

I'm pretty sure they'll have a huge budget. The license already costs 200 million AFAIK, so if someone's gonna buy that, they won't cut short on the budget either.

Also, I'm not sure, if they are thinking about a remake. Just because it's a TV series based on the LOTR books, doesn't mean that it'll be following the main story. They might pick up a side story and stay in PJ's universe. I think PJ became synonymous with LOTR, so if they're buying that license they prob want to stay in that universe.

Making a TV show about a book that's already well known isn't that great of an idea. You know what will happen and it'll also compete with the PJ movies. Even hardcore lotr fans might not be interested in that, because for many PJ is lotr.

Just from how I understood it, they are selling the license to create a TV show based on the books and it seems like it's the "buyers" decision to stay in that universe or not. WB also seems to be on board with it, so the option to stay in the universe is def there.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It will be interesting to see how this progresses. Regardless of someone's stance on the PJ cinematic version, for a LOT of people, his version is THE version that they will compare all future versions against. Love it or hate it, that is one helluva yardstick to be measured against, regardless of how long ago these films were made ; not trying to be arrogant, but even after 40 years no-one has been foolish enough to try & remake Star Wars yet.

Okay we all know that PJ attracted a lot of criticism for certain alterations, but these could be argued as necessary to keep the story moving on-screen. Even on a TV series it would be impossible to replicate the Lord of the Rings to be almost 'word-perfect' as per the books - I have always loved the books, but there are certain chapters where there is far too much or far too little detail on what has occurred (such as the battle of Helm's Deep being the latter).

Personally I hope that the producers use their sense and create something original from the professor's other works, rather than risk falling flat on their face by remaking the 3 films as a serial, when this just doesn't need to happen.

I would love to see the back story of Thranduil, Beorn & Beornings or other less 'filled-in' races and characters from Middle-Earth told in the style of 1 or 2 hour episodes, similar to Xena or Hercules in the 90's (interestingly, a lot of actors & crew that worked on these series also starred in LOTR...). How about episodes concerning the arrival of the 5 wizards at the start of the third age? Or how Elendil & Gil-Galad forged the Last Alliance? Now if something like this could be brought to life on the small screen, I would bet there would be a lot of fans over the moon :D
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:56 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

jhk2005 wrote:
I would love to see the back story of Thranduil, Beorn & Beornings or other less 'filled-in' races and characters from Middle-Earth told in the style of 1 or 2 hour episodes, similar to Xena or Hercules in the 90's (interestingly, a lot of actors & crew that worked on these series also starred in LOTR...). How about episodes concerning the arrival of the 5 wizards at the start of the third age? Or how Elendil & Gil-Galad forged the Last Alliance? Now if something like this could be brought to life on the small screen, I would bet there would be a lot of fans over the moon :D

I think it'd be really cool to have Angmar's rise and fall as a TV show. You would have a lot of freedom creating a series like this, cause there isn't much known about it. Some characters like Thranduil or Elrond could make a return, but they wouldn't have to. All they need to do is stay lore-friendly and come up with a good story etc.

Like I said, I feel like remaking lotr would be a complete waste of the license.

PJ fans won't really care
Casual viewers already know the story, will only tune in, if it turns out to be really great.
Book fans might appreciate it or might think it's worse than the PJ version

Then there's the minority of people, who haven't watched lotr, but would be interested into a fantasy show like this.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'd love for it to revolve around the fall of Arnor!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:55 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The article specifically mentions creating a series based on The Lord of the Rings novels. I would guess it is either a remake of the actual LOTR story, or a concurrent, original story. That, or faulty reporting.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:03 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

This is brilliant news but a remake of Lord of the Rings would be pointless IMO: PJ did it exactly what I expected as obviously it stay 100% to the books. I hope they do stay in PJ's universe as IMO it is as near to Middle-Earth as you'll get without JRR Tolkien planning the sets. I personally found the Hobbit films okay but definitely not on the level of Lord of the Rings. I don't exactly know whether a Hobbit series would work with it being just a short novel and from the article it doesn't look like it will be the Hobbit but whatever it is I'll be sure to check it out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:35 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

TheTarkLord wrote:
This is brilliant news but a remake of Lord of the Rings would be pointless IMO: PJ did it exactly what I expected as obviously it stay 100% to the books. I hope they do stay in PJ's universe as IMO it is as near to Middle-Earth as you'll get without JRR Tolkien planning the sets. I personally found the Hobbit films okay but definitely not on the level of Lord of the Rings. I don't exactly know whether a Hobbit series would work with it being just a short novel and from the article it doesn't look like it will be the Hobbit but whatever it is I'll be sure to check it out.

LOTR movies were definitely not 100% to the books.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:25 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

@emre43 Sorry I use this on my phone and autocorrect and my fat thumbs are a pain. What I mean was 'PJ did exactly as I expected but obviously it didn't say 100% to the books'
I know that it would have been unpractical to stick to the books 100% but I like what PJ did with the franchise in film.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:27 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The only LotR TV series I need:

:lol:
 Post subject: Re: Amazon Making LOTR TV Series
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:49 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/lord-of ... 202613609/

The deal is moving forward. Amazon will officially be making an LOTR TV series. This series will not be a remake of the LOTR novels. It will also not draw source material from The Silmarillion. It will be a prequel to LOTR.

There are already talks for a potential spin-off series.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:20 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sounds like they will be pulling material from the appendices. And if they want to do “Game of Thrones-esque” shows, maybe we’ll get something set in the Gondor civil war, wainriders, or the fall of Arnor. I’d love to see more of Saruman as a good guy. His fall should be a nuclear bomb in LOTR, like Yoda turning to the dark side. Some stories of him as a hero would help that.

If the show’s any good, maybe GW could pick up the license and create more Middle Earth Strategy Battle Game awesomeness.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:37 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Tar-Minastir wrote:
Sounds like they will be pulling material from the appendices. And if they want to do “Game of Thrones-esque” shows, maybe we’ll get something set in the Gondor civil war, wainriders, or the fall of Arnor. I’d love to see more of Saruman as a good guy. His fall should be a nuclear bomb in LOTR, like Yoda turning to the dark side. Some stories of him as a hero would help that.

Definitely, need that! The movies do not give that impression enough.

Tar-Minastir wrote:
If the show’s any good, maybe GW could pick up the license and create more Middle Earth Strategy Battle Game awesomeness.

That's the hope!

My WIP: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=21545&start=40
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Rumoured to have a budget of a billion dollars. No joke. For a TV show that's impressive. whoa.

http://www.konbini.com/en/entertainment ... expensive/
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:02 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Tar-Minastir wrote:

I think we can all agree that is the best case scenario!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:20 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

God yeah! Glaurung anyone???
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

A Glaurung 'mini'ature? Blimey, Smaug's already a bit rich for me. A decently sized Glaurung will be impressive and expensive in equal measure - at least the lack of wings would make him a good deal easier to paint and transport...