All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:25 am

Post subject: Gundabad Orcs Bundle & Wait White Dwarf has what?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:41 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Just like the pervious Lake Town Bundles the Gundabad Orcs Warbands are 12 for £40. Which is great, I've wanted to get a warband for a while and this makes it possible. I've not seen anybody mention this in the forum for news so I apologize if I missed that.
(Link: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Gu ... rband-2017)

Also I just noticed this, I'm always reading the "whats in" for the white dwarf sections carefully as I'm always keeping an eye of out for new warhammer quest stuff. Check out https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Wh ... r-2017-eng and click read more. This is listed there:
• The Return of Battle Companies: New rules for the Middle-earth™ Strategy Battle Game!
Now I highly doubt this will replace Eruinions amazing battle companies home brew.
(Link: http://www.dchobbitleague.com/battle-companies.html)
but its nice to see GW retouch something of their own creation that is personally a favourite way for me to play BSG. Makes perfect sense to release this along side Necromunda.

Post subject: Re: Gundabad Orcs Bundle & Wait White Dwarf has what?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah, the ME team is getting ready to release an official rules manual for BC. It is an exciting time.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Exciting times for the hobby!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:51 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

If you have a copy of the magazine, I'd love to read the announcement!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:14 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

So in the white dwarf article it says the "recently released battle companies supplement" like ... its not even up for pre-order. Woops

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm pretty sure that it will ultimately replace Erunion's version. He did a great job in keeping Battle Companies alive and the publications he created were outstanding. However there's so much hype in the community about the new hardback book, the recently announced regular white dwarf battle companies support and the fact that it's reasonably priced and relevant to all players (as opposed to the TABA book last year), that I think many, many people are going to pick this up and play it. It's very exciting, and if not for Erunion's efforts we might not have had this new release.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:31 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I agree with the above. Top work by Erunion and I'm sure they will steal some of his ideas. I'm sure it will be a hit with the new book so unfortunately his work will be replaced (if the GW stuff is as good as we are expecting - a high standard has been set)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:39 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The Battle Companies themselves and rules for upgrades etc. will almost certainly reverse to the GW version in the future - people just tend to prefer an official publication, regardless of how good the fan-made one. Indeed, it wouldn't surprise me if the fan-version will be better in some respects, as I don't think GW will create new elite profiles for troops that have no or few upgraded versions available to them. Erunion's version can also be relevant to Companies that won't appear in the final book (/White Dwarf).
And of course, there are still the scenarios. No matter how many there will be in the official book, any BC campaign can always use more scenarios!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:28 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Aye based on the dale and gundabad warbands exlusive to this months white dwarfs its going to be very much like the orginal updated, so alas i think the fan version will be much better. Still ill pick up the offical one just because I'm more likely to see a game of it. I really do hope they borrow more rather then less from the homebrue.. I've had many a exciting campaign of it. Honestly will just cherry pick from both!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:46 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

It's kind of like Heralds of Ruin Kill Team is far far superior to Games Workshop's Kill Team but it's ignored due to being a fanwork.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:14 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

MachinaMandala wrote:
It's kind of like Heralds of Ruin Kill Team is far far superior to Games Workshop's Kill Team but it's ignored due to being a fanwork.

Yeah Still we will seeing what Battle Companies entails. Id assume the book will be cheap and frankly all we have to go off is the two companies in the white dwarf which look alittle underdeveloped, but since there freebies IN a mag they might not reflect the warbands in the printed book. We will see, no release date as of yet, even in the WD which is annoying.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

RainTheZangoose wrote:
Yeah Still we will seeing what Battle Companies entails. Id assume the book will be cheap and frankly all we have to go off is the two companies in the white dwarf which look alittle underdeveloped, but since there freebies IN a mag they might not reflect the warbands in the printed book. We will see, no release date as of yet, even in the WD which is annoying.

The book is £25, I believe. It's being released alongside the general's accessory pack, which is £15. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:37 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

slayeroftrolls wrote:
The book is £25, I believe. It's being released alongside the general's accessory pack, which is £15. :)

Really? £25 Seems a little pricey considering, but nothing that's going to stop me picking it up. Really figured BC was going to cost £15. What is the generals accessory pack, and do we have a release date for any of this stuff?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:33 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The General's Accessory pack contains 12 scenarios for points match games, a cardboard(?) sheet with all kinds of double-sided tokens (to indicate figures that are prone, cavalry that charged that turn, spell effects I think, objective markers), rosters for armylists and a quick reference sheet containing all tables etc. to play the game, including a list of all the spells and their effects. Basically useful things that aren't necessary to play the game, although I imagine the scenarios could become a must-have for tournaments.

The above should be up for pre-order very soon, Battle Companies is a bit further away - hopefully December, might be pushed to January.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:15 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
The General's Accessory pack contains 12 scenarios for points match games, a cardboard(?) sheet with all kinds of double-sided tokens (to indicate figures that are prone, cavalry that charged that turn, spell effects I think, objective markers), rosters for armylists and a quick reference sheet containing all tables etc. to play the game, including a list of all the spells and their effects. Basically useful things that aren't necessary to play the game, although I imagine the scenarios could become a must-have for tournaments.

The above should be up for pre-order very soon, Battle Companies is a bit further away - hopefully December, might be pushed to January.

Damn that sounds pretty cool. Gonna have to pick these up at the first chance. Were did you hear about this?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Bits and pieces from seminars held at several events over the past months (second hand news read online, didn't attend them myself), and Mr. Troke himself showed it off on GW's Twitch channel in an interview a couple of days ago (you can apparently watch it back if you have a paid subscription; watching live is free). It's a pretty nifty pack and I'm curious to see what the scenarios will be like, as I've heard no details on those yet.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

RainTheZangoose wrote:
Really? £25 Seems a little pricey considering, but nothing that's going to stop me picking it up. Really figured BC was going to cost £15.

It's got to be worth their while to print it! :rofl: It is a GW hardback after all, so £25 seems fairly regular when compared to similar 40K and AOS books.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:41 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Just a quick question that some of you may have picked up here or there. Has anyone heard if the Battle Company book will be a complete game? I've been interested in getting back into LOTR gaming over the last year, but I don't really have time for the scale of the game.

I know the WD article says "Everything you need to play Battle Companies," or something along those lines, but I'm not sure specifically what that means. I'd love it if the core rules and relevant profiles are included, because BC seems like a perfect game for me, but I don't want to drop $200+ to pick up the core rulebook, the army books, and the BC book before I even get to thinking about picking up miniatures.

Thanks for any help in advance!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:51 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Sabotage! wrote:
Just a quick question that some of you may have picked up here or there. Has anyone heard if the Battle Company book will be a complete game? I've been interested in getting back into LOTR gaming over the last year, but I don't really have time for the scale of the game.

I know the WD article says "Everything you need to play Battle Companies," or something along those lines, but I'm not sure specifically what that means. I'd love it if the core rules and relevant profiles are included, because BC seems like a perfect game for me, but I don't want to drop $200+ to pick up the core rulebook, the army books, and the BC book before I even get to thinking about picking up miniatures.

Thanks for any help in advance!

This is not a definite response as I have no source To my claim but if I was a betting man, you will need a copy of the hobbit core rulebook book to play. Tbf you can get the mini one from Goblin Town on eBay normally relatively cheap. Tho tbf Goblin Town itself can be picked up of eBay for £40 if your patient and see one going for bids (I paid that much for my copy) and it's a great box if you can get it for that price. Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

just my two pence, but tbh the rules changes in the 2 Hobbit rulebooks are fairly minimal (brutal power attacks & 'channelled' spells, etc) from the previous version.

It may well be worth your while getting the battle companies book and using the ruleset you're used to ; then if you decide it is for you, I would recommend the latest 2 books, if only for an up-to-date set of profiles & scenarios from the hobbit films.