All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:26 am

Post subject: Re: New Army Special Rules
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:07 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Overall, I rather like them. It's nice to be rewarded for a relatively fluffy list when thus losing out on the added possibilities an ally could have provided.

Even more interesting are the glimpses we can get of what is planned for the future. The Shire bonus clearly implies any upgraded warriors will soon only be available to the warband led by the hero enabling the upgrade. The various rules allowing 1s to be re-rolled may indicate Special Strikes are to change significantly (not a huge surprise, but the changes could then be more than merely reducing Piercing Strike and only allowing Feinting when having a higher Fight value, for example). Numenor may seem lacking, but who knows what profile changes they'll see in the future (it has been confirmed they'll get some love whenever revisited). Also good to see the books were clearly consulted for several rules (Easterlings a great thematic example); heartening for the future.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:30 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Just wondering why they don't allow Aragorn Isildur's Heir in the Rangers of the North list. Why only the Strider profile? Maybe the special rules were considered too strong if RotN can also lead warbands...any ideas?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:36 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

An army of 100 ruffians would get curb-stomped by monsters. A few trolls and some throwing would destroy large chunks of the ruffian army. Or a mumak.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:30 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Provided the trolls/mumak could withstand 33 archery shots per turn. Yes. Yes they would.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Still, that means you either hoard out or go all-hero or monster. And who will beat 40+ shots from the Grey Company?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:14 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

If the scenario forces you to set up close enough, you're in business. I would love to face a hoard that big with a Mumak. I'd either die spectacularly or kill like 20 a turn. Either way it would be awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:10 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

jdizzy001 wrote:
Provided the trolls/mumak could withstand 33 archery shots per turn. Yes. Yes they would.

Harad's not short on bows either. The archers on the howdah can return fire.

still, it depends on how far the Mumak/monster is. After all, good models cannot shoot into combat so, once they hit the line shooting is over.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:32 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I've always felt like the Grey Company has always been stuck on a balance island. It makes sense of course that all of the rangers would have bow but it doesn't seem like when they ride down from Dunharrow at take the corsair ships or when they arrive at the Pelanor fields that they play some goofy hit and run tactics or sat as far away as possible and shot their bows. No, they all charged in behind Aragorn.

I like the army bonus in theory but i think there are some lists, Grey company, Numenor, Fiefdoms, as examples, that have such poor foundations that tweaks like this will make them stronger or weaker but don't really address any of the underlying problems with the playability and enjoyment you get from playing those lists. Personally, I think the change needs to come from the rangers of the north profile. Give them 2 attacks, maybe make them 30 points. That way you could fight a little better, especially if you mount them, but also if they're more expensive you couldn't take as many cheap bow rangers or maybe only allow 3 rangers per ranger of the north? That of course feels really bad with the rules as they are now because the ranger of the north profile is pretty weak at the moment and being forced to take more would suck.

P
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:37 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

TomC wrote:
Just wondering why they don't allow Aragorn Isildur's Heir in the Rangers of the North list. Why only the Strider profile? Maybe the special rules were considered too strong if RotN can also lead warbands...any ideas?

I would imagine it's to do with the singling of profiles to remove unnecessary confusion. Like only having one Elrond, or the late Megolas and no more old Dain..
I think the three hunters should become a unique warband that has the ability to keep the Isildur's Heir special rule and also be included in allied lists like army of the dead, Rohan, Minas Tirith or Rangers of the north.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:09 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

There certainly should be a way to have Aragorn and friends lead the Dead (preferably accompanied by the Grey Company) - allowing the Three Hunters to be allied to the list somewhat like the Trolls would be nice.

Of course, we've only seen part of what's planned anyway: bonuses for thematic alliances have been said to be on the agenda. Not to mention any new profiles and rule changes that alter the entire dynamic...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:24 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Reducing the number of profiles makes sense. Hopefully they do keep the banner and movement bonuses for Aragorn with the grey company, though. Overall, I think the army special rules are pretty cool and I'm very much looking forward to seeing what else is to come!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:59 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I feel like they could add the Isildur's heir bonus on to the army list or maybe even as an ally bonus for taking the three hunters allied with the Grey company

P
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:56 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

i think its interesting new rules new tactics new movements new maybe a good alter but does it sounds great this will be so much fun enjoyable and that means be strong as it needed good luck to us all have all awesome game