All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 pm

Post subject: Is it worth me picking up the Hobbit rulebooks?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:08 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello, I'm a Brit in Japan and this is my first post here. Thought this section was the most relevant place to put my query..
I own the old Blue LOTR sbg rulebook, and all the recently reissued blue supplements. I also own the mini rulebook from the Goblin Town set.
The Hobbit rulebook and the There and Back Again supplement quite appeal, and I kinda sorta want them, but..I'm thinking that they may not be worthwhile for me given that the cost for the books in Japan is hideously expensive (works out as about 40 pounds more than they would cost in the UK).
Also, given that there may be a new rulebook in Summer, is it actually even worth picking up these two? Won't they both be a bit redundant come the rumoured Middle Earth rulebook?
I wondered if any others are adopting a "wait and see" attitude about this.
 Post subject: Re: Is it worth me picking up the Hobbit rulebooks?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:55 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'm taking a wait and see approach too.
I'm sure There and Back Again will stay relevant, as its a supplement focusing on scenarios and model profiles, the new main rulebook likely won't touch any of that.
The thing that worries me is that the first 7 Hobbit scenarios are in the main rulebook - if they aren't reprinted in the new rulebook then will they be reprinted as a new supplement?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:42 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Antonio_13 wrote:
I'm taking a wait and see approach too.
I'm sure There and Back Again will stay relevant, as its a supplement focusing on scenarios and model profiles, the new main rulebook likely won't touch any of that.
The thing that worries me is that the first 7 Hobbit scenarios are in the main rulebook - if they aren't reprinted in the new rulebook then will they be reprinted as a new supplement?

The same thing can be said for Goblin Town, Hunter Orcs, Trolls, Thorins Company, Rivendell knights and the rest of the profiles in the book.
When the UaJ book is invalidated by a new rulebook im sure the scenarios, profiles and more will be released as a supplement. Gives them the opportunity to give us goblin town with bows and some of the other stuff seen in the movie but not given to us in model and profile form.

Support STF on patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/spillforeningenthefellowship
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'd agree that the newly released "There and Back Again" is probably a good investment, as it's likely to be the source of record for Hobbit profiles for some time. Waiting on a new "Middle Earth" rulebook makes sense. Although I don't think we still have a solid idea as to when it may be coming. I wouldn't expect it before mid year, and fall wouldn't surprise me.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If you have the Goblin Town rulebook, the big one doesn't add much - the scenarios are no doubt nice, but not exactly worth the pricetag on their own (although I was tempted by the bundle deal, just from a collector's point of view). The There and Back Again book at least has scenarios as well as new profiles. The exact form and release date of the upcoming books isn't quite certain yet - I think the latest idea was that there would be two books, one with new core rules, another containing all profiles (updated and likely combining Hobbit and LotR). Latter may even be spread over several volumes depending on the size of the book (Good and Evil perhaps?). In that sense, the TaBA book's profiles are also of limited lifespan, but simultaneously are very unlikely to be changed in the meantime, and the updated profiles may well take a year to be released.

Also, welcome! ^^
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:59 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

New updated profiles for Lotr will happen but they will not be all in one (or two books)

They will come in the form of sourcebooks focusing on one army or faction at a time with scenarios.

This has already been muttered by the people in charge, a last alliance supplement was the first thing mentioned regarding lotr rules.

Support STF on patreon:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:07 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I appreciate all the comments, thank you!
At time of writing, it looks as though the books are out of stock once more. I think I'll hold off any purchase for the present in any case.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:58 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

No they are back again now :D

Don't know what is happening with the stock levels but it goes "there and back again" :D (sorry, could not resist)

Support STF on patreon:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:19 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Did the book ever become available for purchase again in the United States? I checked when I first saw a post on here saying it was back. I missed it the first time, but it appears I may have missed it a second time too : /
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:52 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

EDIT: Double Post, please delete.

Last edited by JLeong on Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:15 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Well..It was back in stock on the Japanese site, so I took a deep breath and ordered the 2 book bundle deal. I'm sure I'll be impressed with them, but ouch, they didn't come cheap.. I know I'd regret not having them though! Can't wait to see them.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:32 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

They're beautiful books and should provide many hours of fun - a good investment I'd say! Enjoy.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:42 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I've been wondering about updating to the hobbit book as well, but quite happy with the blue book and there's no rush to spend money
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:37 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It hasn't been available in the US since it sold out the first time. I check religiously, and have signed up for email notification, and it hasn't been available. I think it's been available in the UK again for about 3 weeks.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:23 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I have a little update. The books arrived a few days ago, and yup, they are really something. The scenarios look terrific and I'm looking forward to some solo playthroughs using the Isildur's Bane rules. So, no regrets despite the expense and prospect of eventual replacement.
The main rulebook is squished at the top right corner and there's also a slight tear in the spine. However, after sending photos to customer service I'm soon to receive an entirely free replacement - not only of the damaged rulebook, but of the supplement too (which was in perfect condition anyway). Wow.
We can justifiably knock GW for their pricing at times, but not on customer service - superb.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:16 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Agreed on both pricing and customer service from GW. I've placed an order for the new book, and I have purchased EVERY other book in the LotR line. I remain appalled at the blatant price gouging perpetrated by them. The new book is nearly DOUBLE the price in Australia of the book in the UK. By comparison the book is only 25% more expensive than the UK in the USA. I have spoken to customer service about this disparity and they blame the value of the Aussie dollar and the Greenback and freight costs... I can accept that in part but not for the whole.