All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 pm

Post subject: Re: NOVA winning lists (current game "meta")
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Tower Shopping Center, 6810 Bland Street, Springfield, VA 22150
Valadorn wrote:
Wan Shi Tong wrote:
You're best bet or that kind of info would be to message the DCHL directly, either here or on Facebook, and ask them about it.

They are always silent about that, they just ignore if you are not someone well known to them. This is ridiculous and a very bad aspect to wargaming happening only in this one.

Hey Valadorn,

I apologize if I have given the impression that I will ignore you if you're not famous. Many people dont realize this, but I am actually one person who now manages the YouTube Channel, Facebook Page, all the messages to the DCHL, the DCHL Email, this One Ring Account, talking to NOVA board members, I create all the custom games (battle companies, chaos in Arda, campaigns, etc), I run all the major tournaments for the East Coast of America, I edit all the videos, I manage the DCHL website and I still have to somehow find time for my job and family. It is a tough act to be sure, but I promise I am not ignoring you.

However, I can say that I believe I still have all the lists from the NOVA GT. If I do, then I will post them all online here for you to see. I will also try to talk about them on my Youtube channel as well. I will spend the evening trying to find them and I will present them for everyone to see.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Stop flapping your gums, and get back to work!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Crack the whip, Rangefinder lol :-D

Valadorn wrote:
LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
The top lists you can almost already see by vlogs and by such.
We already know there was a Knights of Rivendell with Gandalf and Legolas. We already know just as last year there was an Isengard list with all elites and x bows. In addition, there is always the same lists with wood elves including things like Galadriels, Rumils, Thranduils, Legolas's etc. There are always fell beast armies. I know there was another knights of rivendell and high elves, a Mordor spam I believe, and Arnor with Boromir and Twins. These are what I remember being top 10 minus a few I DONT remember.

This is the paragraph I wanted to read, thanks. If you could provide links to what "vlogs" you mean, this should be the end of this topic. I cannot find anything by googling.

I cant link them all. Some are old some are new. I know the GBHL/James has a newer one and the Ontario guys have em. In addition if you check out the GBHL videos from last Nova, there may be some stuff about their armies.

The channel Blackfyre Productions is Adam's channel at the Ontario group. In addition its a fun channel, he responds quickly, and the battle reports are enjoyable. Subscribe guys!

Finally, you have to understand as the DCHL post stated, he kills himself for this. He works extremely hard in addition to his job and family. Ive know him since his channel was young and sometimes its still difficult for us to get in touch. Just be patient. 8)

polywags wrote:
LOTBR:

Were the wargs useful? I know people have been talking a lot about how much mobility and move speed was for the scenarios for the GT but warg riders especially feel a little weak. Did they work as they were meant or did they feel a little lack luster? Was there anything you would have changed about your list with the info you have now?

The Fell Warg did ok. Meh.

The warg riders people seem to have hate for. Anyone explain to me why 4 strength 4 strikes on a won charge is bad.....

They did their job. You also have to understand what their job is. Theyre light cavalry!

They tied up archers, they REALLY helped destroy objectives or get to them, they provided decent killing power.....they really change the opponents attitude about where lines are drawn. If you move first for example and they are close, do they really wanna be within 6 inches of you next turn knowing that you can get off a cavalry charge?

Things like that. I had ones spider, and it didnt do much, but really bothered opponents....

If anything, I MAY take away one warg rider, or change them all to trackers and save some points. Generally though they worked out. They mostly put movement fear into an opponent.

In terms of hindsight changing my list? Cant say I would. Taskmaster was a beast. Shaman helped mostly. With King as a second choice was probably my worst hero but that was because:
I didnt play enemy wraiths at all in the GT(HOLY COW). I had him in there to stop big heroes and to buff against other wraiths with channeled sap will. He did WONDERS in deadliest heroes, and not much in the GT. Lol in Deadliest heroes I face these following list inclusions(these are obviously not the whole list, just the wraiths in said lists):
First round-Knight of Umbar/Khamul
Second-Sauron/Knight of Umbar/Witch King
Third(Thanks Dave from Ireland)Undying/Khamul/Knight of Umbar/Dwimmerlaik/Witch King

So yes, 9 wraiths in three deadliest heroes. Worked out!

As for the GT I considered putting in a troll Chief instead or Shagrat War leader. Now I kinda wish I did. At the same time, that wouldnt guarantee that I had the same matchups. The Witch King did well and I think never died.

All in all, he earned my my only VP in my tough game against GBHL Jamie and his wose Elf list....and he killed a few Isengard heroes himself. One game he legitmately earned me 6-8 vps with minor orc support. Him on a horse with magic helped with objectives.

Come to think of it, my shaman did his courage check job but saved nearly nothing, the entire event.

But my list in general has almost everything. Magic, mobility, staying power, killing power, and numbers. Shooting isnt necessary these days depending on scenario. Most dont need it. Maybe legolas for what you need to hit but thats all.

Other than that......hmmm.....I have to be honest as before....most things I could have done better or that worked out poorly were dice rolls or tactical errors by myself! Haha so overally I like my list.

Considering what I came up against(AGAIN guys PM me if you'd like a complete breakdown of the lists I played and how things went for each game)my list was decent. I've never done two wraiths in a tournament and wanted to try it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:50 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

dchobbitleague wrote:

I apologize if I have given the impression that I will ignore you if you're not famous. Many people dont realize this, but I am actually one person who now manages the YouTube Channel, Facebook Page, all the messages to the DCHL, the DCHL Email, this One Ring Account, talking to NOVA board members, I create all the custom games (battle companies, chaos in Arda, campaigns, etc), I run all the major tournaments for the East Coast of America, I edit all the videos, I manage the DCHL website and I still have to somehow find time for my job and family. It is a tough act to be sure, but I promise I am not ignoring you.

However, I can say that I believe I still have all the lists from the NOVA GT. If I do, then I will post them all online here for you to see. I will also try to talk about them on my Youtube channel as well. I will spend the evening trying to find them and I will present them for everyone to see.

No need to apologize I said above that I did not intend to insult sideways the DCHL, I see the quote now and yeah it seems like a misunderstanding. As I told before I like the way dchl handles things and respect your efforts for the hobby. What I dont like is that list are not provided from the community for the community. Just that.

Maybe sharing exactly the lists is not a good idea, I don't want people to copy them and probably use them badly on table(it would be better for those guys seeing them to try their own lists and improve their gaming alongside with army building), but some words in a youtube video would be great. Also I heard from another guy here, that you have in mind to make a video batrep for competitive wargaming that would be something original for our hobby. Waiting for them, cheers!

polywags wrote:
Were the wargs useful? I

What generally happens with warg riders is that they are very useful if you are facing enemy cavalry. You can answer with speed and dont get trampled or outflanked. If you face infantry then they are ok (considering you use them only with shields, the rest is not good). From there on, if you face for example the eagle army those wolves will cry...

As LotBR said, speed is good in Nove!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:55 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Tower Shopping Center, 6810 Bland Street, Springfield, VA 22150
We have posted the first list review for Tom and Damian's list!

https://youtu.be/au00TopAh_A

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

very nice vid, thank you :)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:56 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Grrrrreat, thanks!

There are many interesting videos in the channel and in the dchl site I found many usable downloadable stuff, if anyone hasn't seen it, go check!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I am sad I missed NOVA despite moving practically next door. (Give or take....)

I am seriously considering attending next year, despite being exclusively Casual/Thematic and Battle Companies play. Emphasis on the latter, it had become 95% of my games during development and was the reason for my SBG "league" opening on the West Coast. Now that I am on the East Coast, I am closer to NOVA and I also want to see the historical locations anyways! Every event interests me from DCHL's Rendition of Battle Companies to Doubles!

I wish I had more players up here in Maine, but right now I have been teaching my relatives to play as I read them the books. I miss my playgroup though!

(CE) Battle Companies 2016 Edition