All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 473 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Forgeworld Hobbit Releases
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:44 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Harfoot wrote:
Stunning model, watch out for more news from Warhammer Fest this Saturday on Middle-earth, there is a Seminar at 3pm just on the future products with Tony Cottrell and the Midble-earth Team.

I'm going and will post as soon i see anything.

Thanks!

While I love the fact that forgeworld has taken the mantle for continuing the LOTR miniature range. I can't be the only one thinking that this pricing model is not sustainable, and really divides the already small community into those that can and can't afford 100 POUND miniatures in our hobby. Why don't they focus on a more affordable range of models that are available to a wider audience. Maybe they have better reasons that I can immediately think of but we don't need WETA workshop quality models and bases to play with and it really drives up the prices (I believe).
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:45 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think the Thorin's company sculpts are fine, I suspect like many of the AUJ releases the paint job isn't doing the sculpt justice.

Chariot is super cool, not a fan of stumpy but that's more of a design thing I think the sculpt is actually one of the best in the range. The windlord seems like a bit of a bonus release I would've been keen but the pose isn't too different from what is on offer already and I have five eagles as it is.

Can't wait to read the update Harfoot I'm thinking the next lot of releases may be finishing off Gundabad, stuff like armored Azog and his signal tower, catapult troll, goblin mercenaries. Personally I can't wait to see the lake town releases!

I would love to keep seeing these bonus releases like Thorin's company, Gwaihir, Alfrid etc I'm excited thinking about future ones hoping to see some banners for every army in the hobbit range, goblin town archers, Rivendell knights on foot and maybe some lotr releases :D

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:49 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Pest64 wrote:
Harfoot wrote:
Stunning model, watch out for more news from Warhammer Fest this Saturday on Middle-earth, there is a Seminar at 3pm just on the future products with Tony Cottrell and the Midble-earth Team.

I'm going and will post as soon i see anything.

Thanks!

While I love the fact that forgeworld has taken the mantle for continuing the LOTR miniature range. I can't be the only one thinking that this pricing model is not sustainable, and really divides the already small community into those that can and can't afford 100 POUND miniatures in our hobby. Why don't they focus on a more affordable range of models that are available to a wider audience. Maybe they have better reasons that I can immediately think of but we don't need WETA workshop quality models and bases to play with and it really drives up the prices (I believe).

The thing I don't understand is most of us would probably spend a lot more than we're spending now if the prices were lower. For example at the moment I can't justify buying the Iron Hills Chariot for 100 pounds but if they were 60 pounds each I would definitely buy 2.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

@Harfoot: Wait. Warhammer Fest is next Saturday not this.....?

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:58 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

weekend 27th to 28th yes

Support STF on patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/spillforeningenthefellowship
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:04 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Kurl Veranek wrote:
@Harfoot: Wait. Warhammer Fest is next Saturday not this.....?

Yes definitely 27th sorry, well excited about going to be honest, will post any news i hear at the seminar

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:50 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I agree about the pricing- I would spend more if the models were cheaper too. The chariot is stunning but will eat up about 2 months model budget. The £100 price tag was a bit of a shock- I was expecting around £80.

I certainly think that "basic" troops should be cheaper. In the past I have always tried to get around 12 of each basic troop type but at the moment I'm struggling to afford 6 of things like lake town guard and Gundabad orcs. And reading through the scenarios in the book (this has always been the basis of what I collect ever since Fellowship was first released) it calls for 2 chariots + heroes of Erebor on a chariot which is a minimum of £300. I can understand that these models outstanding but I can also see why people are put off by the price, especially young people who have more limited resources
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:00 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

To be fair to Forge World though, the Iron Hills troops are cheaper than the Games Workshop resin models (Gundabad Orcs, Mirkwood Elves, Laketown).
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:22 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

If I am starting a new army, I like to get something to play with for $100. You cannot do that with many of the new Hobbit armies. Either a warband or troops or a few heroes, that is it.
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:04 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yea the Iron hills on foot seems like a decent price and also forgeworld resin is much sturdier

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:35 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

As i've said before I wouldn't want to be accused of a GW / FW 'kicking' in my posts but I do agree that £100 for the chariot is taking things too far. I've lived with the high price tags of FW because the miniatures are absolutely fantastic, but this seems to be a sign of 'upper management' moneymaking greed creeping in again.

FW resin is far better quality than finecast, but that still doesn't soften the blow when you're being charged more than twice the price of a finecast monster for something of comparable size? Most manufacturers i've spoken with over the years state that they moved to resin miniatures as they are cheaper to produce than metal / plastic sets...

I don't want to be a black cloud but FW needs to take note of GW's past mistakes ; there's not much point producing brilliant miniatures if only a select (rich) few can afford to buy them regularly.
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:53 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Every announce of new Hobbit minis is a real moment of frustration for me :-( On one side, I am so happy that new minis are created, each one being more beautiful than the previous ones ... but at the same time, I am so disappointed to see the prices continuously increasing ... making those wonderful new minis less and less affordable for my wallet :-( I understand that better quality is synonymous of higher prices, but, as said above, what is the interest for Games Workshop to create premium quality products if only 1% of the community can buy them ?? It becomes really urgent for GW to think to a new commercial policy: they must find a better compromise between quality and prices ! There used to be low cost plastic minis for basic troops and more pricy metal minis for heroes and special troops ... It allows every one to create his army within his means ... But this is no longer the case :-( I did really not understand why Mirkwood troops and Gundabad Orcs were only proposed in set of 3 resin minis !? The basic troops (foot & mounted) should have been made in plastic as were the Mirkwood rangers and Rivendell Knights ! IMO the quality of the latter was already good enough and their price was the maximum I could afford.
For those of you who have the luck to attend to Warhammer Fest, I beg you to spread the word to Games Workshop employees. GW must react to the complaints of their fans ... They must know that the sells of Hobbit minis decrease not because of the lost of interest in hobby and LoTR, but mostly because of their price policy. To remedy this, they could propose more low cost basic troops (essentially for the Bot5A), more Start Collecting sets like "Escape from Goblin Town", etc ... I hope they will listen to us ...
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Don't you guys see, the new pricing is so thematic! In the Middle Ages, only the wealthy could afford horses and armor. Now only the wealthy can afford extravagant things like Chariots and Eagles in miniature form.
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

McGarnacle wrote:
Don't you guys see, the new pricing is so thematic! In the Middle Ages, only the wealthy could afford horses and armor. Now only the wealthy can afford extravagant things like Chariots and Eagles in miniature form.

Sad, but true... If they don't learn their lesson they will price themselves out of the market again :shock: I can't make warhammer fest this year (i'm working) but if I were going I would urge them to seriously review their prices ; they are in real danger of losing their customers again if this continues. I don't mean to complain but I earn a very good wage & am still struggling to justify £100 for even 1 model, no matter how well made :sad:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:29 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Can't say I'm a big fan of the new Thorin's company. Some of them I'm sure going to get like Thorin, Fili and Kili (would have wanted Kili with a bow) but many of them look almost identical to the poses of the Escape from Goblin town-set. Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, Balin, Oin, Gloin are almost completely the same. Dori apparently had his flail moved now hanging from his belt and Nori has a little different grip on his mace but still the same.

Someone also mentioned that the quality of the paint job has gone down and I agree. Especially the faces. Still I believe the sculpts will be awesome like they've been this far.
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:21 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

jhk2005 wrote:
Sad, but true... If they don't learn their lesson they will price themselves out of the market again :shock: I can't make warhammer fest this year (i'm working) but if I were going I would urge them to seriously review their prices ; they are in real danger of losing their customers again if this continues. I don't mean to complain but I earn a very good wage & am still struggling to justify £100 for even 1 model, no matter how well made :sad:

:( This is exactly my point and fear, I can't afford a single thing. I haven't been able to get anything from the forgeworld hobbit range, and I've fancied pretty much everything in it.
I can't understand how someone can defend the price of the Iron Hill dwarfs by saying its cheaper then GW resin models. That crazy, the fact that GW made a war-game about a narrative which has one big WAR in it, and then failed to release plastic troops for ANY of the five armies IN the battle of five armies. THAT is what killed Hobbit BSG in my opinion. There was so many forum posts and hobby reviews talking about how great the game looked but no one was going to play the lake town milita at what worked out at £1 a point!?!

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:20 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Enter the proxies! I just bought the "There and Back Again" book and was disappointed to see the population of Gundabad Orcs of up to 48 and averaging 36. There is no way on this side of heaven I will ever afford that! So I'm using uruk-hai. They look similar and are armed similarly too. Problem solved!

I have a bunch of elves from the original Necromancer book and I like them. Eventually, they will become sailors in a conversion, but until I get the new elves to replace them, they will live out their lives in the Mirkwood.

I certainly plan to buy the leaders. Thranduil on elk is just too cool to pass up!

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:00 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

GreatKhanArtist wrote:
Enter the proxies! I just bought the "There and Back Again" book and was disappointed to see the population of Gundabad Orcs of up to 48 and averaging 36. There is no way on this side of heaven I will ever afford that! So I'm using uruk-hai. They look similar and are armed similarly too. Problem solved!

I have a bunch of elves from the original Necromancer book and I like them. Eventually, they will become sailors in a conversion, but until I get the new elves to replace them, they will live out their lives in the Mirkwood.

I certainly plan to buy the leaders. Thranduil on elk is just too cool to pass up!

I proxy loads in games, spiders are easy to do as well for the Mirkwood Scenarios

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:06 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Not a Forge World release, but Games Workshop is now selling Company of Thorin Oakenshield and Goblin King & Retinue separately from starter set.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-FI/Th ... 10002-flat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:06 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

You know what really is the final nail in the coffin and my biggest grip with Forgeworld, how greedy do you have to be to put "bundles" on your website. WITH NO DISCOUNT. I mean hell maybe at least then I could kid myself I was getting some kind of value if I bought the Iron Hills as a single army bundle with some £££ off. But nope, three chariots three hundred pounds. *sigh*

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 473 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 24  Next