All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:06 am

Post subject: TLA: The Unreleased Profiles - available for download
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:59 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi!

The first edition of The Unreleased Profiles is available to download now.

on http://www.thelastalliance.com

The Unreleased Profile project is intended as a way to allow players access to heroes and warriors in addition to those written by the GW team. This will include profiles for characters that may have been overlooked or not reached by the GW rule writing team or those that accidentally fell by the wayside when the rules were updated (eg Faramir, Captain of Ithilien).

The Golden Rule:
All Unreleased Profiles must be equivalent or slightly lower in power, and equal or slightly more expensive in points, than an existing official GW profile.

This simple idea is the Golden Rule behind this entire project. The premise is that it makes it far easier for gaming event planners and tournament organisers to approve supplemental rules and profiles that are designed to err on the side of caution when it comes to their power levels. A lot of effort is going in to making the profiles fun and thematic, but also balanced against existing

The first tournament to allow these to be used is The Last March of the West, but we hope others will in future.

To view and comment on the profile development go here http://www.thelastalliance.com/viewforum.php?f=41 - not every idea or comment can be actioned, but none will be ignored.

Thanks to everyone who pitched in with ideas, suggestions and playtests.

And if you use any of these in games, please do let us know!

Thanks, and happy hobbying.

Matt

Post subject: Re: TLA: The Unreleased Profiles - available for download
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:22 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

If I could get on the Last Alliance I'd give you a comment or two on this project. You guys have gotten a lot put together on this project but it looks to me like you've got your cart before your horse on most of it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Wan Shi Tong wrote:
If I could get on the Last Alliance I'd give you a comment or two on this project. You guys have gotten a lot put together on this project but it looks to me like you've got your cart before your horse on most of it.

I agree.

I thinl that the option to give every army banner/war horn options seems forced. I understand the reason behind it, but nevertheless is wrong. The Shire, Goblintown and even Moria haven't banner options because those are not "armies" strictu sensu. The Shire force is composed by common people defending their homes (militia) or a police-like force (Sheriffs).

On this point, just because something is missing it does not mean it should be created. Goblintown archers? Why?

I think the point of creating profiles by editing those already in the game has a major weakness: it creates facsimiles.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:14 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dikey wrote:
On this point, just because something is missing it does not mean it should be created. Goblintown archers? Why?

Because they were in the movie.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:36 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

theavenger001 wrote:
Dikey wrote:

Because they were in the movie.

I must have missed them, sorry. I stand corrected.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:07 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

How many times did they hit a dwarf in the movie? Army balance is a difficult thing. They all have a strength and weakness. What TLA is doing is making all armies the same and letting the special rules sort out who has the best army. Those special rules are there as a replacement for those unit options and those unit options should not be replaced. If you want a banner with goblins ally in the drum from moria. If one wants to play a themed army one must accept those weakness points and learn to play around them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:39 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hear, Hear.

(to the above by Jobu)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:31 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Jobu wrote:
How many times did they hit a dwarf in the movie? Army balance is a difficult thing. They all have a strength and weakness. What TLA is doing is making all armies the same and letting the special rules sort out who has the best army. Those special rules are there as a replacement for those unit options and those unit options should not be replaced. If you want a banner with goblins ally in the drum from moria. If one wants to play a themed army one must accept those weakness points and learn to play around them.

amen
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:45 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The Ram rider rules look good. I saw the unofficial model on facebook and it looks pretty good. It costs as much as GW though!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:56 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the comments. I don't use this site as much as The Last Alliance, so if you're interested in being involved in the process please feel free to post over there. Criticism is as welcome as compliments.

Regarding the banner access issue, these were cut last week after a discussion with some of the people most involved in the project; the payoff in balancing scoring in one tournament scenario wasn't seen worth the change.

Regarding the goblintown archer, its already been covered by Theavenger001 above but I think this is worth mentioning as an example of exactly what people want from this sort of unofficial expansion; a creature that does exist in book or film, but was overlooked in GW's releases.

The majority of the games I play strictly use only GW's official profiles, and if you prefer the game vanilla without any extras then you wouldn't want to see these creatures show up.

However for times where you might want more, this is precisely the sort of profile people have requested, and feedback has generally been good. Some people have been playtesting the profiles and reporting back, others commenting and making suggestions, some making new models and adding new things to their collections (or old things, like Golfimbul and Faramir COP). Others are more than welcome to just play the official GW profiles - as I said, most of my own games are exactly that.

Anyway, whatever you play and however you play it, have fun :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:41 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Matt-Shadowlord wrote:
Thanks for the comments. I don't use this site as much as The Last Alliance, so if you're interested in being involved in the process please feel free to post over there. Criticism is as welcome as compliments.

Regarding the banner access issue, these were cut last week after a discussion with some of the people most involved in the project; the payoff in balancing scoring in one tournament scenario wasn't seen worth the change.

Regarding the goblintown archer, its already been covered by Theavenger001 above but I think this is worth mentioning as an example of exactly what people want from this sort of unofficial expansion; a creature that does exist in book or film, but was overlooked in GW's releases.

The majority of the games I play strictly use only GW's official profiles, and if you prefer the game vanilla without any extras then you wouldn't want to see these creatures show up.

However for times where you might want more, this is precisely the sort of profile people have requested, and feedback has generally been good. Some people have been playtesting the profiles and reporting back, others commenting and making suggestions, some making new models and adding new things to their collections (or old things, like Golfimbul and Faramir COP). Others are more than welcome to just play the official GW profiles - as I said, most of my own games are exactly that.

Anyway, whatever you play and however you play it, have fun :D

Hi Matt, I like the idea of the unreleased profiles. It should definitely give ideas to people for a fair profile on those pesky unreleased models. I personally think the goblin archers are a good idea as they are in the film and shouldn't give goblin army too much of an advantage. Although perhaps 6+ shoot value would be more fair :o

Just 2 things about Queen Beruthiel:
1. Transfix and Compel are both listed as 3+, I presume Compel should be 4+?
2. Strength 2? I mean she is your average hero. She may be female but I would have expected S3...

Not moaning though, I really like the profile 8) and I hope I get to use it some day for my Harad army :D
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:25 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The Queen Beruthiel profile has been updated, thanks.

Nikrandonia wrote:
. I personally think the goblin archers are a good idea as they are in the film and shouldn't give goblin army too much of an advantage. Although perhaps 6+ shoot value would be more fair :o

The Goblin Town archers got a special rule instead of a uniquely low shoot value. Moria goblin archers don't dominate many games with their own 5+ 18' range bows, so it's very unlikely Goblin Town archers need to be even worse. I expect few people would want to pay the point for a 6+ shot that becomes 7+ if they move.

What they received instead was this rule:

Goblin Town Archer
Points Value: 5
Limited in Number May not be summoned by a Goblin Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:57 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

"The Unreleased Profiles" were used at The Last March of the West tournament.

Models used included Percy and Bain (Laketown), Lurtz Raid Leader of Isengard and Queen Beruthiel.
Feedback was positive both from players and opponents. Lurtz was the one most enthusiastically received.

The Organiser of 'The Beer-End Tournament' told me today they will be allowing the profiles at that event in late December.