All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 pm

Post subject: Custom LotR/Warhammer 40k Skirmish
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:27 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello everyone! Not many people at the gameshop I play at appreciate LotR SBG, so in light of building interest in the LotR skirmish ruleset, I am developing a custom based skirmish (which is simply a modified version of the LotR ruleset) which allows for 40k models to be played alongside LotR models. I'm simply copying LotR stat profiles, and renaming abilities. An example would be A 40k Greater Demon model who can cast Chaos Bolt is a copy of a Mordor Troll Chieftan with the throne stones ability. Another would be The Changling has the same stat profile as Sauron, but all of his abilities have been renamed.

So far I have incorporated Tyranids, Demons of Chaos, Necrons and Dark Eldar.

After discussing with a few LotR players about what they least like about LotR SBG, I will be editing a few rules for this skirmish, as well. One rule in particular will be shielding. Several individuals I have talked to hate the shielding rule. Playing against players who just run shield walls, and only use shielding to tie up models greatly lengthens game times, and normally causes tensions to rise a little. So in this custom ruleset, models with shields will only get a +1 to defense.

Here's a link to my dropbox folder: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ibhcqc8fcvbrgs1/AADUT5kDBDciIcc33LCSf9-Pa?dl=0

In this folder are two examples of of a Demon Prince (Mordor Troll) and a Plaguebearer (Mordor Orc with Shield), as well as a preview of the rulebook. I'm no expert with photoshop, mind you, haha.

My end goal is to have a PDF document with all LotR SBG character stat lines, a complete ruleset and models representing all 40k factions. I've toyed with the idea of adding Warhammer Fantasy, but the square bases would be a rather large hassle. What do you guys think?
 Post subject: Re: Custom LotR/Warhammer 40k Skirmish
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:58 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

You know the easiest way to get people into LotR/The Hobbit? Have them help you play test a skirmish rule set that you have been working on. In reality you are just using the Hobbit rules. It's amazing how many people realize they really enjoy the rules once the. . .stigma, for lack of a better term, of the illogical LotR/Hobbit hatred it taken away.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:08 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

That's kind of what I'm hoping for here. I want to keep playing and keep alive the skirmish ruleset of LotR alive in case all the rumors are true and models start disappearing form GW's site, which is already happening. You can't order Sauron anymore :( Just the Necromancer.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:28 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Do you by chance live in AR, USA? I've been chatting with a guy on facebook doing the exact same thing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:45 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Small world! That would be me. :)