All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:49 pm

Post subject: So what do we think of the new GW storage cases?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:38 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

You can see them all listed here: http://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Painting-Modelling

These seem to be bigger, supposedly "sturdier" figure cases, that "hold more figures."

How do you think they'd do with LOTR/Hobbit figures? How would they be for storing cavalry, for example? Anyone have any more insight?

Post subject: Re: So what do we think of the new GW storage cases?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:43 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I just watched the video, they look pretty cool. I like the outside design.

I think this is one of those things I would need to see in the flesh and test out first if I ever bought one.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:06 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'm really eager to see them too, they look awesome to store cavalry, pikemen and even banners! I am wondering if they will also sell the foam so we can fit it in the older cases.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:22 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

if they sell the foam I would buy the foam on it's own

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:50 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Did they sell the foam separately with the old cases?

I feel like this new stuff might not fit in an older case, just because these cases look quite different dimension-wise. I'd like to know their actual dimensions though, and the number of man-sized models each can hold.

Hopefully we'll see some reviews and more info on them soon. I for one am quite interested in getting the crusade case if it really is as good as GW is making it out to be.

May the wind under your wings bear you to where the sun sails and the moon walks!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I own the old gw cases. The handle on the front, instead of the top, causes the minis to fall out of their foam. The new cases still have a handle on the front, thus, you will have the same problem. I will pass on them.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:18 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I own 3 big (2 black and one grey) and one small black GW cases. Wanna get my hands on the new bigger one and see it upfront, maybe get it later on as well. Looks really nice!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think I'll just take some of the foam the electrical components at work are packed in and buy a Pelican case. Those cases are really expensive but almost destroy-proof. You can submerge them in water and they won't leak and you can sit on them all day for a week to no ill effect.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:23 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I use tool boxes to carry my minis but reall I need some effing foam, getting sick of my mahud chipping in the fluff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:57 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

They look nice, but i will stick to KR Multicase, much better value for money IMO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yeah, I am pretty fond of my KR - the problem being the damn things are just a little cheaper than GW's cases here in Canada. Curses, foiled again! :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:14 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Somewhere in the Wild or by the Gaming Table in Imladris
I think it's competition from KR and Battlefoam that has made GW remake their carry case range. We bought our foam from KR as we thought the range was better. The new GW cases are great though. The quality and strength of the cases looks improved, and foam system looks like it could solves all our storage problems easily. If it really works, I see us getting them. And the price hasn't increased from GW's old carry cases. (A sure sign of competition!)

Elladan

We have the Appearance of Men, the Souls of Elves, and Behave like Dwarves.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:07 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I had a good hands on look at them yesterday, they fit really well with LOTR models. I tried a Galdahrim a Mirkwood knight and an Easterling pikemen and they all got very well. I am considering buying one of the small cases because it is so much smaller than my old large case and it is perfect for carrying all your models for bellow 750pts (though I think you could stretch it to 1000 if you had to).

Also, despite my limited experience, I feel comfortable in saying that very few (if any) of your models slip out of position. And yes that means for metals too.

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:34 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

You can find some really solid foam inserts on ebay. I don't like the foam that came with the original cases either. The cheap red ones and the like. They aren't very strong and you do have the problem of the pieces falling out. However, I bought a case second hand and it had no foam inserts, so I perused ebay and found some very solid ones. And they came in two sizes, 3X12 for foot figures, and 5X5 for larger foot pieces or cavalry pieces.
This is the site for the 36 piece set:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121166887025?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The great thing about them is that when it comes its nothing more than a cold foam piece with the slots cut out. However, when you pull the slots out, they have an adhesive side to them that you can use to pad tool boxes or other means of storing you models. I have a large collection and I used the pads to build my own storage unit inside a couple of boxes. Adhesive worked great, and the foam is STRONG! I really liked it. I'm sure you can find more like the example from my link on ebay or other sites. Happy gaming!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:12 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I am a little bemused by some of the comments regarding the old GW cases. I have several and have never had an issue of minis falling out inside the case. Nor had an issue with where the handle is :roll: .
I do have a KR case also which is nice but the foam pigeon holes are slightly smaller than the old GW ones which can be an issue with certain fancily posed models.
I have seen the new GW cases and they do look good. I will probably pick one up at some point although it isnt a high priority for me right now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:14 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I have to issue UKFBs statement. I've never had models fall out the foam while in transit.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Not even sure how they could fall out of the foam inserts.. unless you leave a layer out. In which case, yeah, everything can move around (unless transporting some big books in there as well to take up the space). Haven't used my GW case in a while now (bit much for a few dozen minis), but never had any problems with it either.

New ones look decent (not badly priced either), but I wouldn't look forward to transporting metal figures in them - too much risk of them moving around, damaging the paintjob by hitting each other and all that.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:14 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Bought a skirmish box. Alot smaller and lighter than the old GW one (the skirmish box is about the size of a . Easy enough isize for a decent 600 -700 point force. I like the customisable bit. Was a bit conserned about them moving around to the point of using extra padding and double spacing for my metal minis, but found none moved in transit. On a side note these are cheaper then the old cases and well do look it as well, but do seem to do the job, as well looking decent and now stackable, which the old ones were not.