All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:46 am

Post subject: No more captain of Erebor?! Is this the end?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Title says it all really. I went online to find the model with the two axes, which looked pretty cool, hoping to have him lead my small dwarven warband and alas...SOLD OUT.

Seriously? The hobbit range hasn't even been finished yet and they're discontinuing 'new' models? Does this really mean the game is coming to an end from their end? I didn't think it would but this has me worried, to say the least.
 Post subject: Re: No more captain of Erebor?! Is this the end?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:27 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

AHHHHHH THE APOCALYPSE IS UPON US...ahem

While it is a great shame that the Hobbit stuff is going OOP, it is no surprise. Finecast/ Resin models are only short production runs anyway and considering that model has been out 3 years, I highly doubt they are selling in droves. GW probably looked at the numbers and decided it wasnt worth making a load more.

Some local stores may still have them on the shelf though so hunt around and see what you find.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SouthernDunedain wrote:
AHHHHHH THE APOCALYPSE IS UPON US...ahem

While it is a great shame that the Hobbit stuff is going OOP, it is no surprise. Finecast/ Resin models are only short production runs anyway and considering that model has been out 3 years, I highly doubt they are selling in droves. GW probably looked at the numbers and decided it wasnt worth making a load more.

Some local stores may still have them on the shelf though so hunt around and see what you find.

Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not a naysayer, I'm out there buying what I can, even if it costs me a bit too much in hindsight.

It's the worry I have that I'm investing into a game that they aren't thinking to support. I saw recently that the Swan Knights don't have foot models anymore. In a game with dismounts commonly occurring, it seems like madness to drop valid models.

I've obviously read the financial news and it is pretty terrifying of course. My thoughts are, buy what you want when you can, because it might be gone sooner than we think. Which is why I'll aim to get my Rivendell Knights army completed as soon as possible. Then the mirkwood elves, but it seems I may have made a mistake investing in grimhammers.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:05 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Plastic kits are fine, those moulds last for ages. Finecast (silicon) moulds decay rapidly, hence the miscasts.
Why not convert your own captain? I have a few converted from spare grimhammers and plan to make another one using the spare axes from the new dwalin model.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:23 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SouthernDunedain wrote:
Plastic kits are fine, those moulds last for ages. Finecast (silicon) moulds decay rapidly, hence the miscasts.
Why not convert your own captain? I have a few converted from spare grimhammers and plan to make another one using the spare axes from the new dwalin model.

Actually in hindsight I may just actually get the new Dwalin instead.

Well played GW, well played lol.

Still, guess that means I should buy those High Elf spearmen my force is still lacking. Even though I think they're quite popular, definitely don't want to be caught out.

I didn't actually know a thing about the 'finecast' moulds. Is that what all heroes/captains are made of these days?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:43 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

pretty much yeah. Yeah the older lotr finecast stuff is what will go OOP first (probably) so stock up on them.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:57 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

He's still available on the American website.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:14 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

As a newcomer to LotR/Hobbit but a long-time GW watcher I'll weigh in with my two cents :). I do think it's downhill from here for availability of the product. As the license doesn't expire till 2017 (I think, please correct me if I'm wrong :) ) we'll still be able to buy minis, but as they go out of stock many of them won't be replaced. This would be the case at the best of times but this year has seen GW shift to putting even more focus on the core Warhammer brands. GW could easily replace them if they wanted, even the Finecast ones, but it diverts resources, man-hours, store and warehouse space to do it that could go on 40K product and the upcoming new edition of WFB.

A big part of the reason why I'm finally trying to get into the game now after having intended to for a couple of years now (check my sign-up date for the forums), is that I feel that if I wait much longer it'll be much more difficult to get the current minis.