All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:53 am

Post subject: Armoured Mirkwood Spearmen
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hello all! Greetings, Suilad, etc.

Long time follower and first time poster.

So I've just ordered my first warband for Thranduil's armoured folk, with three bows, three sword and shield and six spears.

With the rulebook or supplement yet to make an appearance, I can only speculate, but does anyone else think there maybe a special rule to go with the unusual 'double-bladed' spears?

My theories are either two attacks (But with a trade off, maybe -1 to wound roll because of the sometimes awkward nature of a spear in close combat.)

Or perhaps it will work as an elven blade with +1 to wound. Of course it's possible that they are just visual fluff, which is by all means cool and welcomed, but just in case... what do you think? Am I right? Or do you have any other theories on the spearmen or any of their kind's rules and stats.
 Post subject: Re: Armoured Mirkwood Spearmen
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:25 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Chances are it will be incorporated into the stats but this may not even be the case. It might be just cool aesthetics. I would like to say that games workshop will come up with something unique to make us want to buy it like they do in other game systems, but they regularly fail at doing that, such as the Gundabad orcs as an example.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

legion wrote:
Chances are it will be incorporated into the stats but this may not even be the case. It might be just cool aesthetics. I would like to say that games workshop will come up with something unique to make us want to buy it like they do in other game systems, but they regularly fail at doing that, such as the Gundabad orcs as an example.

Did they just copy-paste a profile for them from another orc? That's disappointing, but hey, here's being hopeful!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Erestar wrote:
legion wrote:

Did they just copy-paste a profile for them from another orc? That's disappointing, but hey, here's being hopeful!

No, but it was basically just a cross between an uruk and an orc, but with the special rule from the gundabad blackshield goblins.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:53 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

LordElrond wrote:
Erestar wrote:
legion wrote:

No, but it was basically just a cross between an uruk and an orc, but with the special rule from the gundabad blackshield goblins.

Well, on the plus side they look cooler than the old gundabad orcs.

What about the bow limit for this armoured Mirkwood army? Even if the spears don't get a special rule, (Other than shielding perhaps) There seems to be a ton of Elves in the army with bows. I thought 'maybe' they'll get that 50% rule, which would make them a really formidable force.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:09 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It's already been said (by one of the game's writers) that there are lots of new specials in this upcoming rulebook. So I suspect that their spears will have unique rules.

My guess is they'll be similar to the Oaken shield's special

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:10 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

They're called Elven Glaives and they can be used as spears or elven blades. You can also use them to shield.

Fun stuff!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:39 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I was hoping for something like +1 A with a -1D or something like that, but then again I just really want a 2 attack elven model that doesn't cost the same as a Dunedain.....

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Wow they count as three different weapons! That's actually not bad as a rule. Though we have seen variations of this in the Mirkwood Spears which can shield as well. But overall I like the rule.

Though admittedly, a 2 attack elven model would have made me buy more of them.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dr Grant wrote:
They're called Elven Glaives and they can be used as spears or elven blades. You can also use them to shield.

Fun stuff!

Oh that is cool! I suppose that makes a two-deep formation of those elves just that bit more interesting.

I'm a huge Noldor/High Elf player but it's nice to find something new that's appealing. Just a shame it's costing £60 a warband, but I don't have buyers remorse, so that's a good sign.

Anyone else got any on order/plan to create some armoured mirkwood warbands? I'm interested to see how others paint them, as I don't like the earthy/brown colours they used in the GW scheme. I'll be going for the burnished gold look personally.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

you could paint em blue coal with gold or silver trims :P

http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Eruname_ ... 0.jpg.html

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/xthunde ... 2.jpg.html

these is n example armour that would be sweet on your elves, keep in mind to get a blueish dark coal armour looking, those elves should be looking amazing on this combination
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:19 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I more or less copied the movie appearance from trailers, red and green with gold armour and a slight green wash over the gold. The official GW paintjob seems to be inspired by their appearance in the AUJ prologue, if you search for screencaps of that you can see the difference. An odd move, but there you go.

I actually considered using the colours of the Mirkwood cavalry across the army, and may yet do that for a 1st age force based out of Doriath (with the explanation that Oropher adopted the colours of Doriath for his knights in Mirkwood, and copied their armour design across all of his forces, and Thranduil inherited the colours when he became king).
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:23 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Dr Grant wrote:

Fun stuff!

Well that's crazy flexible, I like it!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:38 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Yeah it's a cool rule. The new rules are amazing, Good armies just got one hell of a boost - gonna be a very interesting year as these new characters become part of the tournament meta.

There's also a hell of a lot of fluffy rules which will encourage some really cool army compositions which I'm really excited about.

Can't wait to get the new Thorin, Fili and Kili painted up for a start! :-)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:20 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

How about evil? Anything meta breaking?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:44 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Creaky wrote:
I more or less copied the movie appearance from trailers, red and green with gold armour and a slight green wash over the gold. The official GW paintjob seems to be inspired by their appearance in the AUJ prologue, if you search for screencaps of that you can see the difference. An odd move, but there you go.

I actually considered using the colours of the Mirkwood cavalry across the army, and may yet do that for a 1st age force based out of Doriath (with the explanation that Oropher adopted the colours of Doriath for his knights in Mirkwood, and copied their armour design across all of his forces, and Thranduil inherited the colours when he became king).

I like that. Also I like the idea that the riders could be Sindar Elves, or mostly such. It then gives a bit of a class society but it's clear that in Mirkwood Silvan is less than a Sindar, but that could just be royal vs commoner.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:15 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Draugluin wrote:
How about evil? Anything meta breaking?

As far as I know rumours say only two new profiles, which is disappointing. Hopefully they will release some more evil rules if they make new models along the line.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:26 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

There's 3 new evil profiles, Azog, Bolg and Smaug. Azog and Bolg both cost 25 points more than they did previously and get some nice new rules, they're both definitely better.

Smaug is…Smaug is just…Wow. He might not win points match games due to the victory conditions but I can't really think of anything that would be able to kill him. The way his rules stack is just….

Wow.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:05 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dr Grant wrote:
There's 3 new evil profiles, Azog, Bolg and Smaug. Azog and Bolg both cost 25 points more than they did previously and get some nice new rules, they're both definitely better.

Smaug is…Smaug is just…Wow. He might not win points match games due to the victory conditions but I can't really think of anything that would be able to kill him. The way his rules stack is just….

Wow.

I believe I do know how to kill Smaug. One of them is stabing Smaug with a morgul blade. An other idea I had in mind is Beorns special attack. And my third and last plan was to kill it with a normal dragon dragons fire. Once it hits Smaug is gone same for the morgul blade.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:19 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Given how many new units I see in the trailer, Im hoping these three evil models are just the first of many releases.