All times are UTC

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:16 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hobbit pre-orders for next week
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:07 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

LordElrond wrote:
40$ is £25, so it's not as expensive as you might think at first.

If that's true then we're basically getting 3 heroes for the price of 2 because one Finecast hero costs £12 these days. So that's not actually bad value - it could be better (if they were all in one box for more discount) but it's still not bad...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:39 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

So still the hand of Sauron waits. Still no Evil yet, hope there's something soon.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:52 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
So still the hand of Sauron waits. Still no Evil yet, hope there's something soon.

Gothmog, you have had the Christmas hat on all year! not worth taking off now 8)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Harfoot wrote:

Gothmog, you have had the Christmas hat on all year! not worth taking off now 8)

Lol. :rofl: this made me laugh so much! :rofl:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

CaptainBlake wrote:
Well I like all the dwarves, especially Bombur, but I don't know their stats and stuff because I don't really play much.
I'm really looking forward to this! If they are nicely done I might even give them a go even for this price. But I agree on yet the next Bilbo-who needs that ? :P

Well if youre only looking at it for the beauty and the liking of the characters, they'll be nice for you.

As a gamer, most of them are worthless in an army that you want to compete with other than Thorin, Dwalin, and Balin.

Bandobras Took wrote:
GrashnarTheSecond wrote:
I'm going to assume that these are not armoured ones but the Finecast models that have been shown in the AUJ book before.

Hmm I disagree. Like I said in the other thread, my money's on Armoured Company simply because Thorin's subtitle is "King Under the Mountain" and I expect that means he's in Thror's armour like we saw in the trailer. Although I suppose they could release Armoured Thorin and along with the unarmoured second Company from the rulebook but I highly doubt GW would do that...

I could be totally wrong though as the other Dwarves are simply listed as "Balin the Dwarf" etc and not "Armoured Balin the Dwarf" for example...

Id hope it would be an armored set. Another unamored set would be utterly pointless, unless youre a collector.

Wulox wrote:
Creaky wrote:
I'll get the whole company, but I think it'll be in bits and bobs. Might try to get Thorin and Bilbo on release, but the rest will have to wait till past xmas. Definitely will get them all, though (although that's true for pretty much whatever they make, so long as it appears in the films and isn't just a repose - this bilbo will be in his laketown coat, hopefully with the mithril shirt, so he's a must have). Shame about the prices - It's irritating that they're not just in a boxed set at around the £50 mark. That would be fair, this is gouging. Not cool, GW. Not cool.

I agree on the £50 mark. Heck I'd go as far as £80. But going by the current exchange rate if GW follow it with their pricing, $190 is roughly £120, and that is just too much in my opinion.
I have no doubts that the miniatures themselves will be fantastically sculpted, I just don't see how GW can justify the price :/

Its impossible for me to understand how the materials for production of these miniatures dictates such price raises. Its ludicrous. Theres no way the cost of the materials and paying the sculptors etc costs as much as theyre attempting to make. Its profit gouging.

I mean, a fair price would even be $75 for the set. And I guarantee they would make more money because a lot more people would be able to afford it and theyd sell more. I cant see how a price like $75 even wouldnt make a profit for them with like what 12 or 13 resin figures the size of dwarves at 28mm?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:46 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Material prices have very little to do with it. It simply comes down to supply and demand. GW thinks they can charge these prices based on the intellectual property, quality of sculpts, and obsessive behavior of it's customers.

Are these little bits of resin worth their price? Depends on who you ask, my wife would say they aren't worth anything, but to me they are precious as I love the films, the books, and the hobby. There obviously comes a point where a person can't afford or justify the cost. It's unfortunate that the hobby has gotten so expensive, but that's the reality of it. I'm not sure other miniatures games are much cheaper. When I walk into my LGS and check out games by other manufacturers, I see a huge money sink just like with the SBG.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:39 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The Arkenstone wrote:
Material prices have very little to do with it. It simply comes down to supply and demand. GW thinks they can charge these prices based on the intellectual property, quality of sculpts, and obsessive behavior of it's customers.

Yeah, but if they mess up the prices here, then there's no DEMAND for the pieces, which means their supply go waste and they take their anger out on our hobby for - in their eyes - not loving it enough to finance their CEO's mortgage.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:42 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Makes no sense to put bombur and bifur wsith ori. Should be with bofur. I think this is fake because of that.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:52 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

It's a release list that conforms to known upcoming releases in the 40k department, so it's fairly likely to be true.

Imagine if you wanted the trio of bifur bofur and bombur, but not the others - you now have to buy two sets instead of one! That said - I think if someone is going to get any of the dwarves outside of Thorin, Fili, Kili, Dwalin and Balin then chances are that person is in for the lot, so it's an irritating choice.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:29 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Almost certainly another miss for me simply due to the price again. I might pick up the Thorin/Bilbo depending on the sculpts.

http://journeyofthering.wordpress.com
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:33 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The Arkenstone wrote:
When I walk into my LGS and check out games by other manufacturers, I see a huge money sink just like with the SBG.

ehhh, kinda. You could play the Pathfinder RPG, for example, the rules of which are free. The game likes you to have miniatures, which can be gotten at about $2.50 a pop from Reaper (the Bones range). The big cost is in getting grid maps, but you can come by them quite cheaply from a number of sources in the US. The last three Dungeons and Dragons boardgames come with everything you need to play and about 40 odd miniatures in each one, for about $50 on amazon. Neither figure range are anything as good as GW's, but they are not bad. If you want to use higher end figures, Reaper will sell you very nice metal figures for about $7 or $8 dollars. Want higher end still, Dark Sword will sell you beautiful figures for $10? Even the Dungeons and Dragons "collector's range" of resin figures go for about $12 each. Meanwhile, GW will sell you Tauriel in resin for $30. All this leads me to conclude that the "natural" (in terms of supply and demand and what the market will normally bear) cost of a high-ish-rate of production commercial figure is about 10 or 12 bucks for a high quality sculpt, and something significantly less for a non-named hero.

GW is in the business of selling mass produced figures. Their work isn't all that amazing, but they charge several times more than boutique miniatures makers. This suggests something is amiss.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:49 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

GWs arguments in their defence are that they produce many more units than their competitors, and have brick and mortar stores all over the world. From my understanding these shops are a massive anchor around their business effort. Also, they consider themselves a world leader - the "Apple of Wargaming", if you will, and so feel free to be extortionate because people buy into the brand and not just the miniatures themselves. Same reason a brand name T-Shirt is triple the price of a standard one - quality is irrelevant. This is how their logic has been explained to me in the past, at any rate.

I think their logic is flawed, and comes from a broken set of priorities, but that seems to be the way they think. Based on recent performance, I would hazard a guess that 'flawed' is an understatement, to say the least.

Last edited by Creaky on Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have to say, sadly, that GW probably priced me out of the hobby with these releases. I remember when we got 24 models for $25, and now we get 3... and the US dollar has inflated since then! :sad:

The quality is definitely better than the old LotR models I mentioned, but not 8x better.

Really looking forward to the film though!!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:56 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

'From my understanding these shops are a massive anchor around their business effort.'

That argument isnt that solid as they keep opening new stores (2 near me in last 3 months)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:16 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

That doesn't prove anything, except that they insist on opening new stores. I don't have enough confidence in them to assume they're doing it because it's a good idea, rather than "because that's our strategy, always has been and always will be."

Think of the costs involved in having all these stores - you've gotta believe that at least some of the silly prices we keep seeing from GW are paying for that, when major high street retailers are closing stores left and right.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:28 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Creaky wrote:
That doesn't prove anything, except that they insist on opening new stores. I don't have enough confidence in them to assume they're doing it because it's a good idea, rather than "because that's our strategy, always has been and always will be."

Think of the costs involved in having all these stores - you've gotta believe that at least some of the silly prices we keep seeing from GW are paying for that, when major high street retailers are closing stores left and right.

Well, they do keep reducing the number of employees at most stores so they will save a lot money on wages. My local store used to have 4-5 refular employees at any one time, but now, even though the store is pretty much the same size it has become a 1 man store.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:31 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Not sure how I like this, I suppose it could be summed up as " Something good, something bad, a bit of both"
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:49 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Creaky wrote:

Well, they do keep reducing the number of employees at most stores so they will save a lot money on wages. My local store used to have 4-5 refular employees at any one time, but now, even though the store is pretty much the same size it has become a 1 man store.

Same with mine, from 3-4 employees to a one man show.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:08 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

So when will pictures leak for this release? I'll be ordering all the company for sure

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:32 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I'd expect pictures to leak tonight/ tomorrow as WD starts to arrive at retailers.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next