All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:19 pm

Post subject: Re: Azog removed from gw website
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hill-Troll wrote:
They don't like Azog? If you ask me, they should make new goblins...

I think the goblins are perfect, exactly like those in AUJ, especially the attention to detail in all their little rotting faces. If I was interested in a Goblin Town army I would be willing to have hundreds of those little rascals. That is, if you're referring to the Goblin Town goblins of course.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:04 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Indeed- to me the foot version really does look quite slim, especially in the face which is more elven than anything else.

I'm not a fan of the hook arm, but that's a design issue, not a GW scupt issue.

On balance, he's one of the few fine cast models I've bought.

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:15 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Here he is on GW UK's site.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Azog-foot-mounted
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:21 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Wise Old Elf wrote:
Hill-Troll wrote:
They don't like Azog? If you ask me, they should make new goblins...

I think the goblins are perfect, exactly like those in AUJ, especially the attention to detail in all their little rotting faces. If I was interested in a Goblin Town army I would be willing to have hundreds of those little rascals. That is, if you're referring to the Goblin Town goblins of course.

In the film they didn't have giant blobs on their backs and didn't look like zombies. I like the miniatures, but they could be far better. Also, they're missing the armour pieces. I agree that they look much like in the movie, but as someone who thinks the movie ones are the best design of anything there's ever been, I don't like them that much.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

why debating for azog looking good or not lol

Dont you want to say, I want an updated Bolg instead? :P
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:29 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Gods above I'd kill for a new Bolg. Old Bold is a seriously awesome design - but would really have only worked if he'd been the primary orc antagonist from the get go. Can you really see that guy taking orders from anyone but Sauron himself? I've grown quite fond of New Bolg, all the same, and would buy a new one without hesitation.

I suspect we'll have to wait for TABA for him, though, considering he'll probably warrant a brand new profile, or at least a sufficiently edited one to represent his movie roles (firing morgul blade arrows comes to mind...).
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:31 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Creaky wrote:
Gods above I'd kill for a new Bolg. Old Bold is a seriously awesome design - but would really have only worked if he'd been the primary orc antagonist from the get go. Can you really see that guy taking orders from anyone but Sauron himself? I've grown quite fond of New Bolg, all the same, and would buy a new one without hesitation.

to me, it's kind of a shame that PJ chose to go with digital orcs instead of people in costumes. the digital orcs, no matter how great the look, still feel artificial and sort of lack presence, for me.
i mean compare old bolg pics vs new bolg in the film. it feels like old bolg would beat the spit out of his digital counterpart.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:24 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Moj wrote:
to me, it's kind of a shame that PJ chose to go with digital orcs instead of people in costumes. the digital orcs, no matter how great the look, still feel artificial and sort of lack presence, for me.
i mean compare old bolg pics vs new bolg in the film. it feels like old bolg would beat the spit out of his digital counterpart.

The worst part is when you look at all the concept art from The Hobbit Chronicles Books (which are 1000000% worth getting) and realising that not only did PJ decide not to use prosthetic orcs, he then didn't even decide to run with the decent looking CGI orcs. Literally all of the Azog, Bolg, Yazneg, Narzug and Fimbul concept designs are better looking than any of their actual film versions - although admittedly the latter three are prosthetic and not CGI, which is ok I guess. There were some really interesting Narzug and Yazneg designs where they had flayed skin on their neck and cheeks that was it pinned back with bones to form all these horrifying spiky shapes. It looks fantastic but was probably too gruesome for the films. :(

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:03 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I do have the books , mate. And yeah , so much potential wasted. Pj likes his cgi gimmicks as opposed to good old fashioned costumes and make up.