All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:51 am

Post subject: Thorongil? - New Aragorn model!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:14 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dangerous Beans over on TLA has spotted these beauties in Warhammer World: two lovely new models of what seems to be Aragorn in Rohan war gear. Possibly a Thorongil model, to represent him serving Thengel? It looks like it to me! :)

No information is present. Just these photos and that the models were standing in the Fellowship cabinet next to old Aragorn minis.
 Post subject: Re: Thorongil? - New Aragorn model!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:23 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I wants it. Defo gonna keep an eye out for them when I'm up there in feb then. They looks awesome!

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:25 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

How much do you think it will cost

Check out my WIP! :meh:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:29 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

£25 ft and mtd finecast clampack? seems to be the trend. Shame it isnt metal though.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:31 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Absolutely stunning model. I've always been interested in the stories of Thorongil, and to see this mini brings a joy to me that you wouldn't believe. I'd actually been considering attempting a King Thengel conversion using Warg Attack Theoden and making a small force based around Thorongil's time in Rohan. The prospect of having official miniatures for it leaves me stunned and speechless in an extraordinary way.

As for the price I'd expect it to be a standard FineCast ft/mtd blister pack price of £25. This however is one model that I won't complain about at all in regards if pricing.

Can any of you tell I'm a little excited about this one? :rofl:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:34 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Whoa, my mind just got blown a little bit, not by the miniature, but about my likely far-fetched assumptions. I'm more thinking about what this means for the Hobbit films than the fact that it's a new miniature of Aragorn (that doesn't particularly look too great imo, though the mounted version is in an awesome pose).

Is filming for the Hobbit completely done? Viggo Mortensen got asked to play Aragorn but never got a follow-up. If filming isn't over, there's still plenty of space for him in the film.

GW could, of course, simply go back and produce a miniature for the Lord of the Rings in the midst of the Hobbit buzz. I think that's the more likely scenario. But this model also could be an indication that Aragorn appears in the Hobbit trilogy. The films have a condensed timeline, I believe, both between the time between Bilbo's quest and his 111th birthday and between the 111th birthday and Frodo's quest. I'm guessing Aragorn would be in his twenties, and would be off fighting in Rohan, like this model suggests, during the Hobbit trilogy.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:35 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Can't wait! Hope they release it soon :-D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:36 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Wow, they look amazing!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:37 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Wow!! This looks amazing! I have wanted GW to release this for so long!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:38 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Jamros wrote:
Whoa, my mind just got blown a little bit, not by the miniature, but about my likely far-fetched assumptions. I'm more thinking about what this means for the Hobbit films than the fact that it's a new miniature of Aragorn (that doesn't particularly look too great imo, though the mounted version is in an awesome pose).

Is filming for the Hobbit completely done? Viggo Mortensen got asked to play Aragorn but never got a follow-up. If filming isn't over, there's still plenty of space for him in the film.

GW could, of course, simply go back and produce a miniature for the Lord of the Rings in the midst of the Hobbit buzz. I think that's the more likely scenario. But this model also could be an indication that Aragorn appears in the Hobbit trilogy. The films have a condensed timeline, I believe, both between the time between Bilbo's quest and his 111th birthday and between the 111th birthday and Frodo's quest. I'm guessing Aragorn would be in his twenties, and would be off fighting in Rohan, like this model suggests, during the Hobbit trilogy.

I think they've decided that Aragorn was a popular LOTR Character so decided to make another model of him

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I like. I'm no great fan of Rohan (I'd prefer a Gondor version) but still I like. Its good to see that there are still models being produced for LOTR, not just the Hobbit.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:46 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

ElfLover wrote:
I think they've decided that Aragorn was a popular LOTR Character so decided to make another model of him

I think so too, my mind just went full-on speculative.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:52 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Jamros wrote:
ElfLover wrote:

I think so too, my mind just went full-on speculative.

I don't think so. Does GW even have the rights to make this if he wouldn't be in a Hobbit movie? I'm not too sure actually.. I don't think there is a quote in the LotR books where Aragorn is said to have served in Rohan. There is plenty of info (and still not enough for details nerds like me) in the Appendix, but not in the LotR. As far as I know, GW doesn't have the licence for the Appendix, so they wouldn't be allowed to make this based on the book. If he would be in a future movie, though, they would be allowed to make this..

Also note that the Hobbit (book) took place in 2941 TA, while Aragorn served as Thorongil in Rohan and Gondor from 2957 till 2980.. This is a 16 years difference at least, so I really hope PJ won't make it simultaneous.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:56 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Yeh I was only thinking the other day that the game doesn't have enough Aragorn minis. :roll: Oh, wait a minute, he has the most different model sculpts of the entire range. :no:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:11 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Pretty sure GW has the rights, they cover ROTK, and the appendices are in that book. For example the Necromancer supplement, Fall of Arnor, that's all appendices content. Even the scenarios for the the battle of Erebor, and Lothlorien, Mirkwood, etc. The sons of Eorl, Eorl himself, the wainriders, all appendix.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:12 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Should this be released, it would make a perfect proxy for Elfhelm. haven't been able to come up with a conversion for him yet.

EDIT: I had another look at the face of the foot model and I think he looks a lot like Rhys Ifans.

Last edited by Joansean on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:16 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Awesome models.
Am not gonna speculate and am hoping they are not scratch built one offs by someone at gw!!!
Does anyone know if these are recent additions to the display or have they been on display for a while? This info could give an idea if they are hobbit related???
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:22 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I love the new models
Hope it is real and actually released

Always been annoying that aragorn cannot lead rohan troops
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

RangerofTheNorth wrote:
Pretty sure GW has the rights, they cover ROTK, and the appendices are in that book. For example the Necromancer supplement, Fall of Arnor, that's all appendices content. Even the scenarios for the the battle of Erebor, and Lothlorien, Mirkwood, etc. The sons of Eorl, Eorl himself, the wainriders, all appendix.

I'm not too sure about this. My RotK book also happens to have the Appendix in it, but my father has them both separate. In fact, they are separate books (with, I assume, separate licences). The attacks on Lothlorien, Mirkwood and Erebor are all mentioned in the RotK (when they all back in Minas Tirith I think). The Necromancer was mentioned too, so were some things about the Fall of Arnor. Arvedui was called the Last King, Malbeth was called a Seer who only enters in the FotR because of a quote. A lot of details that are given in the Appendices about Dol Guldur and the Fall of Arnor are omitted, and much is made up by GW.
The sons of Eorl are mentioned in the Appendix, but they were nothing like GW's Sons of Eorl, also Eorl himself is mentioned in Rohan and the Wainriders are not made by GW (Khandish happen to have chariots but are not wainriders). The lousy scenario in the old ASitE book of the Field of Celebrant showed us they didn't have any more rights to resemble the tale of the battle that was found in the Appendix/UT: they had to make it up!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:31 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Y he got theodens sword??