All times are UTC

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 1:10 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41
 Post subject: Re: The Hobbit Release thread
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Grungehog wrote:
not in close combat if I remember what I read in the book correctly, unless of course pj cocks up again and makes that happen too

No but you'd need a certain, well survivability that allows him to be able to.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:05 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

True but a 2 attack hero with 4-5 fight and a 2+ shoot with double-shot would have been far closer to character I think than his current prof

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:43 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

for his pts value he is a no brainer, but sadly it doesn't reflect what is at the end of the day a good archer who got lucky. statistically he he would be a better investment than Legolas as far as versatility is concerned. imo anyway

But back to topic we need to see this Beorn the bear model, else all those tourney players out there will be screwed soon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

In the book, Bard is known for making only one good shot with a bow.

So far in the film it looks like he will be using a special siege bow or Wind Lance, again this is not a 2+ shoot (as we don't know if it the shooter or the machine with special arrow that makes it so good of a shot), and doesn't show any reflection of being a fast shooter at all.

Now in BotFA Bard lead his people and rallied them together in much an Aragorn way. He then battles close combat against legions of orcs and wargs. I would say that in this skirmish game, the current profile is more to what you would want from the future leader of Dale. I just hope he doesn't dress like a vagabond western outlaw for much longer.

Just as orcs are proof that giving a person a bow doesn't make them an archer, so to is the truth that just because a hero makes a single shot that saves countless lives doesn't meant he is a gifted archer, a lucky one with moderate skill sure.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have to agree with Sithious in this regard, he was lucky, and because he was lucky he was able to make that shot. I do think he is a good leader, and also a good fighter to have survived the battle of five armies. Since not everyone did...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Siege weapon potentially?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:43 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Balin son of Fundin wrote:
Siege weapon potentially?

Not without any rules there won't be...unless they put them in WD, not very likely.
Shame because a Windlance would be very cool. :(

OERP
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:32 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

likely the windlance would be considered a spoiler for the third film. Thus they may not be able to release it until then, when we actually see it in action. Don't write it off, just put it off.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:56 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Knife in the Dark wrote:
I have to agree with Sithious in this regard, he was lucky, and because he was lucky he was able to make that shot. I do think he is a good leader, and also a good fighter to have survived the battle of five armies. Since not everyone did...

In the book the Hobbit, Bard, like most of the characters is not fleshed out at all, however there is no suggestion that it is a lucky shot, it is his supreme skill as an archer that fells the beast.

Bard goes on to lead the men of lake town in the five armies and becomes king of Dale, rebuilding the city and establishing good relations with the Dwarves.

He is given a greater role in the film, and no doubt will be even more the hero in the third part.

Given that this is a game more based in the films than the books his profile seems fair to me. (I always felt Aragorn's was a little underwhelming, but then so is his fighting ability in the LotR trilogy!)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:02 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Sithious wrote:
In the book, Bard is known for making only one good shot with a bow.

It's difficult to judge the balance of skill and luck in situations like these though. Shooting and killing a single dragon requires either great skill, great luck, or a combination of both, but when it only happens once, and we are provided no other evidence to go on, it's not really fair to definitively say one way or the other

If given the same shot 100 times, how many times would Bard make that shot? The way they build up his father in the flashbacks, the implication I get is he'd pull it off enough to consider it more skill then luck, but that's purely going by what's in the movie
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Absolutely. When I was younger I would have been all about Bard and I would want him to have 6 shots per turn all with a 1+ to hit because he killed Smaug. But, looking at it realistically, there isn't anything else to go on other than pride in a hero, knowledge that he likely is a good shot with a bow.
Looking at the film though, we are set up. If you had a bow weapon an a single arrow that fits it and you saw bard the Boatman (not yet the bowmen) and Legolas who can shoot 8 targets with 3 arrows while barrel riding down a mounting, which of those two would you have make the shot? :) So should Bard have an awesome Bowmen profile and negate his fighing a bit? I think a special rule like Duinhir with wounds vrs monsters is a better suited rule. As I think Legolas can shoot fast and accurate, I think Bard can shoot very accurate (uncanny even) but takes his time and goes for the kill shot.
From what I can tell, there is not much need for bowmen in laketown of the film. So maybe he kept his skills up by shooting fish in a barrel. In the cartoon and in my imagination as a kid, I pictured bard as more a hunter character or woodsmen, and in this film I don't feel that. So again, I think the fighter profile is going to be of more use going forward to the battles. If we ever get a smaug an if there is a scenario for him,then maybe there will be a kill shot rule that any archer can do that involves dice... the only problem with rules like that is you have to make smaug defeatable by forces that don't have bard (like hobbits throwing stones) and you have to have a reason for any Bard rules for use when Bard is not fighting Smaug. so walking the fence, what would you do?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:32 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
what would you do?

What about a special arrow? + a zillion when used against monsters that begin with a S.
I like the book version better than the movie version.

"Arrow!" said the bowman. "Black arrow! I have saved you to the last. You have never failed me and always I have recovered you. I had you from my father and he from of old. If ever you came from the forges of the true king under the Mountain, go now and speed well!"

The bird might need to be in on it too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa1ZOvP8IWc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:30 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wasn't the Black Arrow in the film the size of a ballista bolt? I imagine he may have a little difficulty with shooting it from a bow...rather like shooting Riekling Spears from a bow in Skyrim.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:09 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

That's what the Windlance is for. I always thought that Bard should have a great profile (like his current one) because he did lead the men at the BoFA, but I had thought that he should have 2 shots at 2+ rather than up to 3 at 3+. His Black Arrow rule is good though. However, I do think his ranged rule fits very well. He has a third of a chance to do nothing at range, where as Legolas has a guaranteed to have three shots.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:39 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think it worth noting a few things when considering profiles Bards.

1) His role in the movie. As an important character who leads troops in the BoFA and kill Smaug he should have stats that reflect that. Also as a leader at the BoFA it's only fair he's as good as the other leaders (Thorin, Dain, Azog, Thranduil and the Necromancer are all powerful models)

2) What people expect of Bard. For people that are not massively into the lore or are starting players coming in from the movies are likely to see Bard as the new Aragorn. Kickass lead male human character that's kind of an outlaw/ranger type but is destined to be ruler and a good one at that, loved by the people, deposes a corrupt or broken ruler and who is skilled with a bow and a sword etc. (there are actually more connections there than I was expecting). These sorts of people will expect and want Bard to be powerful and would be a little let down if he had the stats of an improved captain with a really specific special rule.

3) His role in the Laketown army list. I know GW isn't great a balancing the lists and giving armies the units they need to be successful (Rohan being the obvious example) but the Laketown list is really boosted by Bard. His profile gives them a leader (the Master of Laketown is unsuited in every way but name) he helps makes there list more viable they really have no named combat oriented heroes outside of him and his grandfather(whose only ok). It also gives people a reason to ally with Laketown outside of just cheap spears, I can imagine taking a nice little contingent of Laketowners with him as a leader and then another with a normal captain to boost my elves numbers.

To warp that really overused Batmans quote 'Bard might not be the hero Laketown deserves, but he is the it needs right now'
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41