All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Beast of Gorgoroth - ultimate finecast?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:34 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Jobu wrote:
I purchased the rohan and minas tirith commanders sets, my first finecast, and I am so impressed at the NASA type technology that allows a resin to not only be soft, but brittle as well. Seriously amazed. I was also amazed at the number and placement of the resculpt(TM) air bubbles. Their placement give real realism to a battle damaged miniature. Their use of what seemed to be an indestructible/uncleanable release agent, after multiple soap and hot water scrubbing sessions( with a toothbrush) the miniature STILL had a hydrophobic property. Oh, and the battle damage on two of them on their heads was quite incredible. Somehow GW managed to remove only half their faces, how amazing is that?

:)

I had the same issue with my Rohan commanders. The flash whas like a spiders web, So many bubbles and holes i thought of an aero bar (chocolate), zombiefied hands and faces, bent pieces, but that can be forgiven. The thing that realy ticked me off was the fact that a employee had tried to fill holes with super glue of which was only half filled deep. All these errors and they still continue to box and supply the paying customers. I feel for you guys but complaints should be made as i might actualy register with them pushing for an improvement, well lets hope.

Oh by the way im new. :-D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

John Wayne wrote:
I had the same issue with my Rohan commanders. The flash whas like a spiders web, So many bubbles and holes i thought of an aero bar (chocolate), zombiefied hands and faces, bent pieces, but that can be forgiven. The thing that realy ticked me off was the fact that a employee had tried to fill holes with super glue of which was only half filled deep. All these errors and they still continue to box and supply the paying customers. I feel for you guys but complaints should be made as i might actualy register with them pushing for an improvement, well lets hope.

Oh by the way im new. :-D

Welcome! Didn't John Wayne look more... manly than that? :lol:

I keep making the point at my local GW that I will not buy any Finecast stuff until they get such abominations as what happened to hithero sorted out. For something this expensive, this kind of horrible quality is just unacceptable. As King Ondoher has said, a 12-year-old simply cannot fix something that distorted... And they make up an increasing percentage of customers (or so I feel...)

King Ondoher wrote:
But if they don't sort out these Finecast quality control issues soon, I reckon that they'll eventually make such a loss on it that they'll restrict the policy in some way, making it less lenient.

They will get legal problems if they do, though. As a customer, you are entitled by law to get a faultless product, and if you don't you can always claim replacement or refund. At least that's how it is here in Germany. But yes, keeping the receipt is a good idea in case they become stricter in that regard.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:01 am 
Administrator
Administrator

That sort of defect is just beyond belief. Its waaaay beyond bad.

Doesnt really matter if it can be fixed, IMO, that shouldnt be sold at all and I'm amazed that quality control is so bad these days in Lenton.
We all know that some minor fixing is necessary in all minis, metal or plastic, resin or whatever. But it should be minor gap filling or not much more. We shouldnt need to resculpt or reshape a product that is sold to us at premium prices, with the fancy and hillarious title of fine cast.

I've seen finer casts floating in toilets. :?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:47 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

MacGothmog wrote:
:lol:

How poetic.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:52 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

King Ondoher wrote:
MacGothmog wrote:
:lol:

How poetic.

LMAO, that line is too good MacGothmog!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:58 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Wait, so soaking a fine cast screw up will get that kind of result???

You mentioned that there is still a 4mm gap, but where? That face shot look beyond repair. Can you take a pic of the head and post it? I find it hard to believe that soaking a resin model, that cost 71$ US dollars, will shrink that much without lose of details.

Also I agree, 1) customer should NOT have to go above and beyond for a product THAT expensive and 2) no, average, childs' parent will know how to fix such a issue.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:33 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
Postby Harfoot » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:52 pm
Like on a previous post, you only have to put the model into hot water for 10 minutes and join together.
People just need to do a little more work with resin products.
Fair comment on miscast and air bubbles, but warming and bending into shape is not difficult.

If warn water will allow you to reshape the model then gravity and warm air will allow the model to distort.
I agree resin is a lot more work. Not a beginners model at all. I would leave it at that, but some of the plastic Warhammer building kits have worse gaps than the example fine cast model. In fact they are some of the poorest quality kits as far as fit, I have seen in 50 years.
Get them to replace the kit until they get it right.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:08 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wow that really sucks, but at least there is a solution for it. I'm concerned because there are no GWs in this country and so taking it back is a whole nother issue. I really love the Gorgoroth Beast but I have zero experiance in finecast.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:34 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Oldman Willow wrote:
Quote:
Postby Harfoot » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:52 pm
Like on a previous post, you only have to put the model into hot water for 10 minutes and join together.
People just need to do a little more work with resin products.
Fair comment on miscast and air bubbles, but warming and bending into shape is not difficult.

If warn water will allow you to reshape the model then gravity and warm air will allow the model to distort.
I agree resin is a lot more work. Not a beginners model at all. I would leave it at that, but some of the plastic Warhammer building kits have worse gaps than the example fine cast model. In fact they are some of the poorest quality kits as far as fit, I have seen in 50 years.
Get them to replace the kit until they get it right.

NO NO NO, gravity and warm air do not make the model distort!!!! STUPID comment of the day.

It is not advanced modelling skills putting resin in hot water it it? or are we living in such a PC world people expect everything done for them.

Yes FineCast is expensive, but no one else is making these models, if you dont like then, DONT buy them. Its like reading comments from children who just want to bad mouth things.

It is much more enjoyable reading posts which constructive and informative.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:47 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You're getting quite touchy there Harfoot. You wouldn't happen to have stocks in GW would you?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:49 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Sacrilege83 wrote:
You're getting quite touchy there Harfoot. You wouldn't happen to have stocks in GW would you?

lol I was going to say that :lol:

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:14 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

This is one of those "worse case" scenarios.

No one should be basing their opinion on the quality of ONE kit. Finecast has its ups and downs, and this is one of the downs. I'm sure that everyone elses kits will be fine. I've never had an issue with getting the kits replaced, and that's quite rare that I need to.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:20 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Sorry if i was getting touchy, i would love stocks in GW but as i spend all my money on figures so i dont have any spare money !!! :-D

Its just all these people moaning that gets to me, i love reading the forums, but why cant some people add constructive more intelligent comments. Lets try to help each other not just slag GW.

No one else is making models from the film, i am pleased and excited every time a new release is announced, some people are to just so they can slag it off, with out even buying most of the time.

Yes Finecast has its faults,air bubbles and missing cast (not mishapes, read earlier thread) but GW have never even argued about not exchanging it have they.

ALso i dont work for GW or any of the industry.

Thanks you for reading. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:53 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Yes but lets be honest, they are not as good, bought a Smaug Dragon once and no matter what i do it will not stand up, just bends over.Not as good as the GW Dragon and Cave Drake, also look at the Forge World Dragons, Ummmmm.... Also Mithril Minatures they are very expensive and a lot of limited product runs.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:39 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Ok i just had a look at the Mitrhril Miniature site, which i have not done for along time, I agree with you Quendil, ohhhhh its good, :yay: more in an art than gaming way. Some many miniatures out there, so little money and time to paint. :sad:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:28 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I guess you have seen this, but if not have a look, design your own figure for 2680 euros, wow!!! if i win the lottery i will get one or two!

http://www.mithril.ie/designer/index.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

ScarpeIron wrote:
Wait, so soaking a fine cast screw up will get that kind of result???

You mentioned that there is still a 4mm gap, but where? That face shot look beyond repair. Can you take a pic of the head and post it? I find it hard to believe that soaking a resin model, that cost 71$ US dollars, will shrink that much without lose of details.

The head shot is there, its not a 4mm gap - the model is 4mm short.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:37 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It's shocking.... I was considering buying two to flank my WotR Gorgoroth battlehost (when the stats are out ) but NOT now,
Come on GWS...
...SORT IT OUT!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:28 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
Harfoot

NO NO NO, gravity and warm air do not make the model distort!!!! STUPID comment of the day.

Kindly explain In what universe it will not!
Quote:
It is not advanced modelling skills putting resin in hot water it it?

I would not think so but I have been building kits for 50 years. I would not think a 12 year old would have the experience to correct a problem as large as the example. I do not think it is reasonable for GW or you to expect any customer should have to.
Quote:
Yes FineCast is expensive, but no one else is making these models, if you dont like then, DONT buy them.

I have to agree .
Quote:
Its like reading comments from children who just want to bad mouth things.

So, How is this constructive?
Quote:
It is much more enjoyable reading posts which constructive and informative.

That is certainly true. Please include in your explanation of how to reshape finecast products some facts like the temperature of the water. Define warm vs hot. Explain how to prevent the clamps or rubber bands from distorting the details. Explain why in your universe a hair dryer or heat gun will not work as well as water. If the hot water will burn your fingers so will hot air

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:08 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Oldman Willow wrote:
Quote:
It is not advanced modelling skills putting resin in hot water it it?

I would not think so but I have been building kits for 50 years. I would not think a 12 year old would have the experience to correct a problem as large as the example. I do not think it is reasonable for GW or you to expect any customer should have to.

I have been building model kits for going on 20 years and I don't fancy my chances of being able to sort a problem like the one in this topic - I still intend to buy a Gorgoroth Beast but will definately check it in the shop before I leave. I think its difficult for people to be constructive when the first time a lot of us have seen this model up close it has defects like the ones shown. The reactions are of shock and in my case despair!!!

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next