All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:25 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Beast of Gorgoroth - ultimate finecast?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:20 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I heard that many GW stores will allow you to open and inspect the finecast figs before you buy.

I would say that you should inspect the sets before you buy. I purchased two sets of the Beast on Ebay (and at a discount) and sent them to my painter. He told me that both were missing the heads that hang down on the lower right front. I can't do anything about it now, but I did save 20% on them so maybe it was worth it.

Brian
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:15 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Has nobody mentioned this yet?

If you do have a defect with a finecast model, call them up and then tell them your issue and where you got the model, and maybe some other info, and they will send you a new one free of charge. I got some 40k flamers of tzeentch that were messed up, and got brand new ones when I called them. Heck if you do end up fixing your great beast, its 2 for the price of one!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:41 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Tezzy wrote:
Has nobody mentioned this yet?

If you do have a defect with a finecast model, call them up and then tell them your issue and where you got the model, and maybe some other info, and they will send you a new one free of charge. I got some 40k flamers of tzeentch that were messed up, and got brand new ones when I called them. Heck if you do end up fixing your great beast, its 2 for the price of one!

They don't do that anymore, you have to send the damaged goods back, probably due to people taking advantage of their customer service costing to much money.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:10 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

They tend to do if you go into GW rather than just phoning.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:12 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Since when? A Theoden I got a month ago was messed up and they sent me a replacement.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:22 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Draugluin wrote:
Since when? A Theoden I got a month ago was messed up and they sent me a replacement.

Well thats what I was told last week and had to do with this Beast' I was told to either take it to the shop or send it back to GW.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:15 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
I was told last week and had to do with this Beast' I was told to either take it to the shop or send it back to GW.

I was told something slightly different but I am in the US. They are going to send me the parts I need.But it has been 8 days from the time I talked to customer service.Things change.

The best way to to deal with it is to return it for a refund. If they have a exchange only policy dispute the charge on your credit card or pay pal account.
Don't give the retail staff a hard time be firm and polite.
I don't have a local shop to return it to. I will have to ship it back . If they want it they will pay shipping. The agent I spoke with by phone is professional and reasonable. I don't expect any problems on his end.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:02 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Send a photo and they usually send you the stuff free of charge as if you went into store.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:35 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Or move house so that you live near a GW? I've no experience with not living near a GW so have no real idea how you would deal with the finecast problems.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:43 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I just call in and they send me replacements for what was messed up. I guess not enough people stick to the honor code for them to keep doing that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

well it seems everyone is having trouble with finecast, what i wonder though is why havent i seen any improvement on this quality, right from when finecast came out till now it seems the poor quality and amount of fails i hear about have kept happening. yet i dont see improvement, all i see hear is people saying they wont buy finecast again
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:15 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The team who work the molds check the models as they take them out.
The QA team will check a percentage (if it is like normal plastic production it will be around 15%, I speak as I used to work in plastics for particular hair products company) for miss-casts.

The molds deteriorate much faster than GW predicted hence the flash increase.
The models are probably never or rarely tested for "put together ability" once production starts.

The over all thing is. Finecast does not respond like resin of old. GW is the first MASS PRODUCING resin user on this scale and resin does not behave like metal. So Quality assurance will take time to filter through.
For the original batch of models (dain, dark marshall etc) GW just were not ready for the deterioration of the molds. Hence we got a lot of Devlan Mud models early on.

I have seen a lot of improvements. TBH if you have a problem DO email in photos to GW so the team can make adjustments to the process. I showed my witchking (short mould on the crown around the face on the mounted version, and spikes not very spikey) to a QA member who is also a friend. He took note and is now looking for that particular flaw in other models. It is all a learning process for all.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

cereal_theif wrote:
It is all a learning process for all.

An expensive learning process...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:26 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
Or move house so that you live near a GW? I've no experience with not living near a GW so have no real idea how you would deal with the finecast problems.
:no: not going to move :lol: There is one GW store in my state.I have more game tables in my house than the store and better terrain too. The staff has to wait for the White Dwarf to arrive to find out what is going on. There is not much reason for me to visit a GW shop. They have less stock and way less gaming space than the local independents and don't discount. GW stores also have all kinds of restrictions on what and how to play.
Fail cast is not really an option for me. I wish some one else wound buy the license for The Hobbit and LOTRS. I am not buying any more Fail cast.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:19 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

cereal_theif wrote:
The molds deteriorate much faster than GW predicted hence the flash increase.

Do you get bits of them embedded in the models like with the first wave of finecast releases?

Mordor-ob bot-tuk
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

cereal_theif wrote:
Send a photo and they usually send you the stuff free of charge as if you went into store.

I sent the same photos as the ones posted here - with this model, they want it back.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

That will probably be because it is a problem they haven't seen much so need to see how to make stuff better...

As for the flash. I have had some terrible metal over the years. Men with "razer backs" massive extra plates of metal on their back or on their head or coming out of their knee... but we trim and file and stick the extra bits in abox to sell to the scrap metal man ;)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:06 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
As for the flash. I have had some terrible metal over the years. Men with "razer backs" massive extra plates of metal on their back or on their head or coming out of their knee... but we trim and file and stick the extra bits in abox to sell to the scrap man

Lead poisoning or gynecomastia some decision :!: I have been collecting GW models from the 1980's until the present.. I have not see a poor casting in thousands of purchases. Lead poisoning is not a problem because GW models were tin.Tin is way harder to glue and cut than lead but much safer. Fail cast safety is unproven.No one has proven a risk factor for gynecomastia with Resin products. No one can say can say if sealing the model will reduce the risk. You should wear gloves when you handle it and DO NOT BREATH the DUST!
I do not care if you do not believe me. Take care using resin it may prove to be no more dangerous than pure lead or it may not.
GW said the product is safe. The Tobacco product company's said cigarettes were safe. So sand and file away to your hearts content.Don't wash it and don't wear a dust mask you won't need gloves. Learn to swish when you walk and you will be happy with finecast. :lol:
Joking aside, there is a much greater risk to children than adults, much like lead. One lead figure might not cause harm. What might 10,000 do? The same with resin. A few not likely to matter over a shot time. What will the effect be of lots and lots over a life time.
http://www.bodylogicmd.com/for-men/gyne ... 7QodFlwZPg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:36 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
by hithero » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:10 am

cereal_theif wrote:Send a photo and they usually send you the stuff free of charge as if you went into store.

I sent the same photos as the ones posted here - with this model, they want it back.

I just got off the phone with US customer service. They are going to replace mine. The hitch is the whole US shipment was miscast they have to wait on a new shipment to replace it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:43 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Oldman Willow wrote:
DO NOT BREATH the DUST!

Yeah seriously, I don't care how non-toxic finecast is alleged to be, please do not ever breathe in a resin dust (or any kind of dust if you can avoid it, tbh)

Mordor-ob bot-tuk
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next