All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:14 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: NEWS: GW repackages infantry boxes and increases prices
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:45 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Do you think they'll also halve the number for cavalry? I doubt it because of the fact that the horses and the riders are on 2 different sprues, but you never know.

The only bright side I can see in this is that they might make plastic elites. This way, they can sell the KoDA and the Men at Arms of DA in plastic without selling loads of them for cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:58 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Chris wrote:
i still need many of plastic armies... but i cant order from Games workshop anyway :rofl: they dont deliver to my country, its not on the list :D :D (portugal) :D :D

They deliver, you just don't get the free shipping bonus or the cheaper shipping costs.
I've ordered a few times from them so far. I'm in Lisboa by the way.

On the topic... terrible, just terrible.
Then again maybe it's just like when the finecast came out, the price increase was not related to the finecast.
So maybe it's just another dumb decision from GW. Maybe they were going to raise the prices anyway and it was just coincidence.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:34 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ah, well. Here's thanks to the fine people at Wargames Factory and such that try to keep the prices down! And so much for most 'regular' warriors. *sigh*

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Draugluin wrote:
The only bright side I can see in this is that they might make plastic elites. This way, they can sell the KoDA and the Men at Arms of DA in plastic without selling loads of them for cheap.

I thought about that too actually; could be an unexpected benefit of this change. Boxes of 12 plastic Citadel Guard, Mordor Uruks and the like would be awesome. Of course, I'm not entirely sure how smaller boxed sets would constitute enough of an encouragement for GW to invest in entirely new poses like that.
Would be cool though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Oh man... And I have also to buy the new rulebook :(
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:04 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I have conformation of the repackiging into smaller boxes myself earlier today from my local GW, alll GW employees got an email about it yesterday.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:45 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
I have conformation of the repackiging into smaller boxes myself earlier today from my local GW, alll GW employees got an email about it yesterday.

Yep, that's what my guy told me, too. He wasn't told when the change would be implemented exactly, just that it would be "soon". He's guessing that they'll sell off the old boxes they have left and than do a changeover on the fly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:09 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dezartfox wrote:
Can definitely confirm that this is happening.

Also the shops have been told to "expand their shelving space for Lotr"

Something good is coming ;)

Ooh, sounds interesting.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:23 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Xelee wrote:
Beowulf03809 wrote:
Not terrible for SBG games, but pretty sad for WotR. Assuming some high-point units:
By comparison from another company / game system that same price gets you an army that covers friendly game and tournament point sizes, has a large variety of forces made up of mostly metal miniatures and can be easily competitive (you could build a more competitive version if you spent that same money on specific sets rather than some of the larger boxes).

They fill significantly different niches of course. I will not give up LotR based play in favor of historicals 100%. But it seems GW has a blind eye to the fact that there ARE options out there for gamers. And I don't just mean the choice of which GW system they will play (that seems to be their mentality).

$90 (in South Pacific Pesos/NZD, I think the best we did at one stage was .8 USD) got me enough infantry from a BIG (120 fig) Roman army, in 28mm plastic for Impetvs. Another $25 got me the metal Cavalry and then say another $20 for metal commanders etc (had to have General Maximus). That army almost approaches WOTR in fig count...To compare to SBG/Skirmish, You Can have a SAGA Warband for the price of a box of plastic Vikings/Saxons/unarmoured Vikings (similar to the CURRENT 24 fig LOTR here) - $40 NZD tops - plus some metal characters/particular figs/elites for say another $33 NZD more. That will be for the typical 40-50 fig force. I think SBG Skirmish doesn't come out of the comparison too badly. I know that I am willing to pay more for certain figs, even for historicals, as long as it is in small number.

On the positive side of the ledger, I think that the fact GW (and Battlefront, for that matter) have managed to get the price up there has created hope for many smaller guys that they will actually be able to scrape a living and get some new choices out there for us. In the past, Wargamers could be pretty price-conscious....

I think they will continue to 'try it on'. However, it will kill any realistic prospect of WOTR style Middle-Earth gaming. The fig count in the game is huge, and while I love it, I guess I was lucky to get my GW figs when they were affordable. A lot of the armies can be done using historicals though.... :)

I'd agree; War of the Ring now seems impossibly expensive and quite a pain to collect. I just wanted to add on to the "historical alternative" conversation. I only recently purchased the War of the Ring rulebook, not to actually play WotR, but to use it as a basis for medieval wargaming. I know there are other rule sets that likely provide a more "realistic" recreation of medieval warfare, but I love this system and find it very easy to work with. Both WotR and SBG are highly adaptable rule sets for someone looking to try out historical wargaming, especially medieval wargaming--so, at least initially, there is no pressing need to "start completely over" in my opinion. The main thing I wanted to mention, which kind of goes along with Beowulf's post, is that, often, a scale change can be a really great thing. For example, for my medieval variant, I am using plastic 1/72 scale (20mm) miniatures from manufacturers such as Caesar Miniatures, Revell, Italeri, and Zvezda. For $30 (US), I have about 500 points worth of cavalry and infantry and 54 miniatures, and the miniatures don't look bad at all. A similarly sized Gondorian army would cost approximately $150 (US) currently from Games Workshop. If you're interested in checking out 1/72 scale historicals, let me recommend http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Index.aspx. They have pictures and reviews of just about every 1/72 boxed set on the market. Down the road I also intend to look into ACW using the Black Powder rulebook. I'm not sure what scale to do yet, but I'm leaning heavily towards 10mm metal, with purchases likely from Old Glory Miniatures.

I'm excited for the new Hobbit miniatures. My original intention was to purchase everything in the upcoming Hobbit range, so that I could properly play through any journeybook that gets released alongside the film. I knew it would be expensive, but after delving into 1/72 for medieval, I'm now just not willing to spend too much money on miniatures anymore. Likely, I'll pick up a few boxed sets or blisters for painting purposes. GW's LotR range is still undoubtedly one of the most beautiful ranges available for collectors and painters, but for wargaming, its just too expensive.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:34 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I am considering going to the local store today and buy all the boxes they still have that I want.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:35 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I also think this is a good oppertunity for GW to release many of the elites in plastic. Or semi elites. Things like Berserkers can stay in finecast but things like Mordor Uruk-hai could be completely done in plastic.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:51 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Xelee wrote:
In the past, Wargamers could be pretty price-conscious....
I hadn't thought of that, it's a good point. Maybe I'll take another look at starting my own mini production. :?

Personally, though, after things wrap up on getting the Undying, I probably won't go to too much trouble on the remaining GW minis I'm interested in: There's just too much more the money could/should go toward.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Necromancer7 wrote:
It'd still be worth it if the poses were new ones I think.

I myself would disagree but each to their own.

Seems mad to me, the prices are consistently increasing above inflation so new players will be priced out of starting up (I've said before I sympathise most with gamers just coming into the hobby) and they will surely lose some existing players. I simply don't have the money to stockpile plastics and metals so I will just continue to keep an eye out for certain metals on ebay and abandon plastic for the time being. Best thing to do is try to cut costs by making your own scenery, buying cheaper glues e.t.c.

We can all see what it boils down to anyway, developing a new system that means you need to buy more models to play and now making it more expensive to get those models.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:21 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

A quick note, boxes of 12 are up on GW's site. Available for Advances order!!!!
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... od1460081a

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Jobu wrote:
A quick note, boxes of 12 are up on GW's site. Available for Advances order!!!!
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... od1460081a

same poses as well. I'd hoped they'd at least mix it up a bit if they want more money.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:41 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Oh my gosh...$22.25 (US) for 12 guys? To get the same amount as before, you've have to spend $44.50! That's an increase of $11.50! It didn't hit me as hard as it did when it was written in GBP. It's about a 35% increase in prices (forgive me if my math is off). That's just ridiculous.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:43 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Jamros wrote:
Oh my gosh...$22.25 (US) for 12 guys? To get the same amount as before, you've have to spend $44.50! That's an increase of $11.50! It didn't hit me as hard as it did when it was written in GBP. It's about a 35% increase in prices (forgive me if my math is off). That's just ridiculous.

aahahhaha go ebay my friend! there is a lot of mini's there, i almost bought 100 mini's for 23$ yesterday :lol: :lol: but someone bid for them at the last minute :-X

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:06 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

WHAT?!?! THEY WANT US TO PAY HOW MUCH? That's a 33% decrease in price, for a 50% decrease in models! This is insane!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:08 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

WAIT, THEY WON'T EVEN LET YOU BUY THE OLD SETS OF 24 ANYMORE! YOU WOULD THINK THEY WOULD AT LEAST LET THOSE SELL OUT!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:12 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

While I like the idea of smaller boxes, allowing you to get closer to the number of models you actually want I think the price increase is too much.

This does look like SBG will be the main focus again though, with WotR being the expansion. Smaller boxes fits with skirmish rules better.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next