All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:45 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rumour: New Skirmish Rulebook in February
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:29 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Draugluin wrote:
Thematically, I don't like the new allies (everyone on the side of good can ally with everyone else who is good),

Themes can be decided by players though- the books allow freedom but it's up to us to add/use themes if we want to.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:03 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
the core rules stay the same

cool, Thanks :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:14 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Quendil wrote:
Does anyone know if the new army books are cobbled together re releases or entirely new?

From Whitedwarf it seems a lot of the points are staying the same, it'll just be the new scenarios, the way the force is put together (12 warriors for each hero thing) and all the new profiles.
There might be new profiles without models (like Legions but better), or just exisiting.

There's LOTS of new stuff though. For example you can upgrade Easterlings to Black Knights (I think) for a couple of points. Think like Grimbold and Mahud.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:12 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hi, i dont mean to sound stupid, but is it a NEW rule book, as i have just got the new WD mag and the rule book appears as the old one, same cover price etc. No mention of it being new.

Also when you go on the GW website it does not come up on advanced orders but on the "have you got this?" section.

Can someone confirm this?

Thanks
:roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Harfoot wrote:
Hi, i dont mean to sound stupid, but is it a NEW rule book, as i have just got the new WD mag and the rule book appears as the old one, same cover price etc. No mention of it being new.

Also when you go on the GW website it does not come up on advanced orders but on the "have you got this?" section.

Can someone confirm this?

Thanks
:roll:

Main SBG rulebook is still the main rulebook, think of these as new improved sourcebooks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Indeed, the base rules are the same, these new books just replaced all the profiles and the army building rules (lome). I think we will get a new rulebook sometime though, as it's sorta wierd to have to get the one now that has useless profiles....
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:09 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Dezartfox wrote:
There's LOTS of new stuff though. For example you can upgrade Easterlings to Black Knights (I think) for a couple of points. Think like Grimbold and Mahud.

I think you mean Mauhur.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think the new five books includes the profiles :D
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:58 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

This release has prompted me to get back into lotr, very excited if only i had more money :P
Did anyone else notice the price diffference between the WD and GWs website for example the sourcebooks are £12 but on the website are £15 and the new warrior box sets are £13.50 instead of £12 in WD, i cant even see any apologys for a misprint of the prices, anyone else know whatss going on there?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:25 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

liam2580 wrote:
Did anyone else notice the price diffference between the WD and GWs website for example the sourcebooks are £12 but on the website are £15 and the new warrior box sets are £13.50 instead of £12 in WD, i cant even see any apologys for a misprint of the prices, anyone else know whatss going on there?

There is an 'apology' on the GW site under 'latest community and events'. also the box sets of infantry were in GW stores and online before the WD came out nayway.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:51 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

So my informations profed to be half way correct. It´s 5 new sourcebooks, not a new rulebook. Sorry for that, maybe I got this wrong from that guy. However February was correct.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

This is super exciting for me! It's really breathed new life into the game after the disappointment of WoTR. No need to firmly decide on one faction, either! All my minis can get in on the action. :)

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:33 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The new sourcebooks certainly look interesting - I had a quick look at a couple of them tonight on my way home from work. They go on sale this weekend. I won't be rushing out to buy them though. They'll retail here in Australia for $41. Last time I looked the Aussie dollar was worth £0.65 - so if you guys are paying £15 for them that equates to $23. So we will be paying almost double for them. Shipping costs aren't that much, and if the books are being printed in Asia (not sure on this) then we aren't that far away.

The way it was explained to me tonight was that the 'new' system is a little like the old Battle Companies (which I sorely miss!) except that you first choose a hero who has to take 'X' number of troops and you build up your points army that way. It certainly looks like a playing system that has potential and worth having a go at. I never had time for WoTR as with work and kids there wasn't enough time to paint up all the figures. I'll be interested to read what other gamers think of the system once introduced.

It also came as surprise that GW no longer do metal figures. I've been out of the hobby for almost 2 yrs.

Kalatha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:09 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Kalatha - Welcome back! Sadly no more new metal releases. I think you can order some of the old metal stuff direct from GW but prices are pretty mad these days. Best bet is to stock up using Ebay. I hold the same views regarding WOTR and look forward to testing out this new system although I hope they don't impose it on us like Marshall Law. I've grown fond of LOME over the years :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:30 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

lorderkenbrand wrote:
I hold the same views regarding WOTR and look forward to testing out this new system although I hope they don't impose it on us like Marshall Law. I've grown fond of LOME over the years :)

Me too. I have two playing groups: my son + his friends/cousins; and my own friends. My son and friends will probably like the new system...lots of heroes, smaller number of models, more personal, perhaps more epic (which is debatable in my mind).

My own friends won't like it because they have trouble with having heroes *at all*. ("What? I can spend Might to move first? B-b-but that changes the order of things!"...I swear, sometimes I wish I had a cattle prod :roll: ) Each of us has our own genre (WW2, Napoleonics, ACW), so when I present SBG they are thinking in armies. So with them it will be LoME or nothing.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:36 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

whafrog
Quote:
So with them it will be LoME or nothing.

Interesting point. I have 5 books to read before I decide how to pitch it to my friends.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:18 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Personally, I'm really interested in seeing what they do to the Moria Goblin Drum. Surely it'll be changed to compete with the Gundabad version if they're both published in the same book?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:40 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Kalatha wrote:
The new sourcebooks certainly look interesting - I had a quick look at a couple of them tonight on my way home from work. They go on sale this weekend. I won't be rushing out to buy them though. They'll retail here in Australia for $41. Last time I looked the Aussie dollar was worth £0.65 - so if you guys are paying £15 for them that equates to $23. So we will be paying almost double for them. Shipping costs aren't that much, and if the books are being printed in Asia (not sure on this) then we aren't that far away.

It also came as surprise that GW no longer do metal figures. I've been out of the hobby for almost 2 yrs.

Kalatha

Thats like the same here in New Zealand lol.. This stuff is way to expensive.. New rule books cost $48(nzd) which is more than one normal box of warriors which costs $44(nzd) I think the nzd is doing worse than the Australian atm lol... And thats like double the price of what it use to be when i last brought some which was also about 2yrs ago and now you only get 12minis instead of 24 :( .
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:58 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

@ncea: I am a NZer too. What city you in? Im in Wellington. Yeh the prices here are poos. I have decided to buy all my stuff from overseas sites and have it shipped over. It works out tons cheaper. You just have to wait a while.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

oredds wrote:
@ncea: I am a NZer too. What city you in? Im in Wellington. Yeh the prices here are poos. I have decided to buy all my stuff from overseas sites and have it shipped over. It works out tons cheaper. You just have to wait a while.

Can you even do that anymore? I thought GW put a ban on European retailers exporting to the rest of the world to protect their fixed prices in the southern hemisphere.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next