All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:48 pm

Post subject: Canadian White Dwarf Merges in with the US.
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:50 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I have received my white dwarf in the mail as always, but something was odd about that issue. Firstly it was not packaged in a separate plastic bag as it was always. That made me suspicious. I took a closer look at the cover and the issue number stood out. It was supposed to be issue #37 of Canadian white dwarf but instead i was looking at #353. I thought that was odd. It maybe a mistake. Maybe they sent me the US one by accident. So i did what anyone would do in my situation, i called local GW to find out if they would know better. And you can imagine my disappointment when i heard that after Canadian and US companies merged together, they decided to also merge WD print. I guess it won't affect anyone in the long run, but as for my collection of white dwarf magazines. I'll stop at issue 36. Which i guess is the last issue printed in Canada.

I have been collecting Canadian white dwarf from issue 1, and would have continued but now that they merged and went with a more dominant version (US) i don't think i will continue with subscription. I may purchase odd ones here and there depending on what is going to be in the issue. Otherwise, they have lost me as a consistent customer.

Thoughts? Comments?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It certainly is disappointing not to see any Canada-specific coverage (although I hear the Toronto GD will be disappearing soon anyhow) but as long as there is the same stuff in there as far as new profiles go, I'll be content.

Speaking of that, are the new profiles in this issue? Which ones? :twisted:

And which part of Canada are you living in?

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:29 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

To be honest i didn't like US focused white dwarf because it had very little info on LOTR. Usualy about 6-10 pages out of 100. Where as Canadian was fair to all 3 gaming systems (i know there are more). In the current one, there are only images of new releases, apparently there is a Galadhrim Banner Bearer is released too, although i could have sworn it already was out. It also covers a battle report of THE HOST OF LOTHLORIEN vs THE NECROMANCER'S LEGIONS. It also covers a product review so to speak, of elves. It is also suggested that for skirmish game rules will be in next month. Also a bit of painting of elves is covered by 'eavy metal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:00 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

GW is cost cutting across all of it's operations as well as increasing the margins, ie, centralise printing of WD, reduce staffing levels in stores, maybe close those that are least profitable, and of course, hike prices to a level that only stockbrokers, accountants, lawyers and retired bankers can afford..... :x

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

And tomb robbers, bank robbers, monopoly players... :lol:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

GW's customer service used to be top notch. I would talk to others about is and how other companies should model their customer service after theirs.

That was a few years ago. It has fallen way down along the way side.

Shame.....